Larry Greene

520H Hydraulics Question

Larry Greene

On my 1989 520H tractor with 950 hours on the clock, it takes several seconds after starting the tractor for the hydraulic system to pressurize enough to lift the mower deck.  Not a big deal to wait a few seconds, just wondering if this is typical and is it something that I can make right?

pfrederi

Common thing with many Eatons. You have to live with it.  it was suggested to use synthetic oil... i changed mine no difference...

lynnmor

It's right there in your owners manual, page 6, let it warm up.  Manual

• Like 1

Larry Greene

Thanks guys.  

Pollack Pete

Ambient temp has a lot to do with sluggish hydraulics.I've found it a good idea to let all hydraulic equipment warm up before I use it.Warm oil flows much better than cold oil.Personally,I use full synthetic in my hydro  Horses.I think they operate a little better.At least that's how I justify the extra cost.It makes me feel better.

• Like 1

JoeM

All has to do with the charge pressure picking up. Some are better than others. I have seen an improvement using tractor trans/hydraulic fluid. It is a 10w-30 weight oil made for hydro and transmission application. The additive package is more in line for the application than the old motor oil spec that was the best fit at the time.

A few years ago I had one machine, when it was not run for months, seemed to take a good bit longer to prime. I would tickle the motion lever a bit and that speed the process. 

Handy Don

I've often wondered if it isn't the oil heating the metal which then minutely tightens the tolerances on the pump that does it. But it could just as easily be the change in the oil's "flow viscosity" as it warms. Or both! IDK.  Either way, as long as it ends ups working in a couple of minutes, no sweat for me.

Larry Greene

I started using synthetic 10w-30 in the transmission and that seems to reduce the amount of time it takes for the hydraulics to start working.

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, Larry Greene said:

I started using synthetic 10w-30 in the transmission and that seems to reduce the amount of time it takes for the hydraulics to start working.

That's what a bunch of us use, but there are several other opinions based on personal experience (of course!). :)

Hope your sale goes smoothly.

Pollack Pete
38 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Either way, as long as it ends ups working in a couple of minutes, no sweat for me.

I hear ya.Things that work as they should are my ultimate goal.Sometimes THAT actually works out.

• Like 1

JoeM

One note, the Eaton charge pump is not real close in tolerance. The pump is a spider gear the rotates and has rounds in between the spider arms. The rotation forces the rounds out to the edge. The pump area is eccentric and the fluid flows into the cavity then is squeezed forcing it into the transmission. Might explain why the synthetic oil picks up quicker, flows better in the cold. 

1601207899_CaptureWHEaton11chargepump1.JPG.7e8fd6c8cc267d8d97e858f845de856a.JPG

• Like 1

Albert Bandzak

My 520 wheel horse  the deck doesn’t go high enough why?

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Albert Bandzak said:

Hi Albert, this may not have anything to do with the hydraulic system.

My bet would be on worn or out of adjustment linkages.

What exactly do you mean by "not high enough"?

Lee1977

It's just like all other Wheel Horses there is a  adjustment on the lift rod. Shorten the rod it will lift higher., Best to make the adjustment with the deck lifted'

Get it to short it will break something, the deck lift bar in the frame was broken when I got my 520-H in 2019. I used the lift bar from my 312-8 and later welded in

a new hinge bar on the broken one.

lynnmor
3 hours ago, Albert Bandzak said:

If you are talking mow height, do the adjustments in the deck manual.  If you still are not high enough, then look for wear or damage.  Many would like to mow higher than the maximum adjustment.

Edited by lynnmor

peter lena

@Larry Greene, while I am not familiar with your  set up just thinking how about a reroute on your hydraulic return line closer to the exhaust system ?  might help that out , parralell  lines would pick up that heat and speed up your cold start / cold oil issue . just an idea , sorry if I dared to suggest a change to a nagging issue , pete

Handy Don
On 2/6/2021 at 9:30 AM, Larry Greene said:

On my 1989 520H tractor with 950 hours on the clock, it takes several seconds after starting the tractor for the hydraulic system to pressurize enough to lift the mower deck.  Not a big deal to wait a few seconds, just wondering if this is typical and is it something that I can make right?

My experience with the Eaton is based on using Mobil One 10W30 and by the time I've settled myself with the engine running, got the choke off, checked the voltage gauge, and pulled the lift lever, the deck comes up.

As posted above, other fluids/temperatures may work differently. (Sorry, @peter lena, I would heartily discourage adding heat to the hydro circuit during operation in any way. If the dipstick tube wasn't plastic, I'd consider a dipstick heater for the transaxle but only in extreme cold.)

As long as there are no leaks in your fluid circuit (fluid out or air in), and the fluid level is topped up in the transaxle reservoir, I'd suggest start the tractor, check your email on your phone and then lift the deck to move out! :unsure:

• Like 1