71_Bronco

Swench... Who's Got One?

71_Bronco

Was trying to think of a gift for my dad. He's a retired mechanic (retired this past year) and has everything he could ever need. He is one of those people who just goes and buys something if he needs it and always gives the "I don't know" shrug when you ask him what he wants for birthdays / Christmas.

One thing I thought of to buy him (though a bit pricey) would be a nice, used, vintage "Swench" tool. They are not very common from what I can find, and even the-bay has only a small handful.

Was just curious who has one on here, and what you think of it.

• Like 7

DennisThornton

Never heard of one!  Looks neat!

https://www.powerhawk.com/swench

Certainly have had uses for it!

• Like 1

cafoose

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Interesting tool.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Very cool!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

New one to me. 

Looks pretty awesome. 

• Like 1

rayshorses

WOW . i have never heard of this tool but i will be  getting one for the shop. It will be much better than our heavy 1 inch drive impact gun and i can take it anywhere. Like your dad , i thought i had every tool . I think he would love it. Thank you for sharing this information. 

• Like 3

Pullstart

Yep, that looks like a winner!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

Wow... dem suckaz is spendy!  Looks like very cool tool though!

oliver2-44

As an alternative does he have a rechargable electric impact gun.  I recently used a 1/2" Dewalt rechargable impact and was amazed by the power/torque it put out. 

That Swench is pretty neat looking too!

squonk

When you load up one of those big-uns and they go "SNAP" it raises a stink with your shoulder joints. Back in my car days the GM "W" bodies front brakes took a #60 Torx bit. Bought a HD one from Snap-on along with a 3' 1/2" drive breaker bar. Still had to put a pipe on the bar to get that bolt loose. It would go "PING" just like that video. Shoulders felt like they had a tuning forks in them. Ended up needing surgery on my left one and one of by bicep tendons cut off

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

rayshorses

I just got off the phone with Rodney , the salesman at power hawk technology in NJ. They are the manufacturer. Super nice and interesting guy. They are a 12 employee company . He told me they keep this tool pretty much a secret because they would never keep up with demand if they advertized. They sell to the government mostly. Spent 45 minutes on the phone and he told me some really interesting ways this tool is used. The neatest story is that the people that operate the space shuttle transporter follow it and tighten the bolts as it moves along , using this tool. So the price for just the one inch drive tool is $2200.00. He told me i am better off to keep my eyes on ebay because the govt sells them to surplus companies , so they come in spurts as they become available .I was told the military goes by shelf life and some of them were never used. You will have to be patient and wait for them to show up. I wonder if you contacted one of those surplus companies if they might have some kits available.

Snap-on bought the Power Hawk company a few years ago and they sell this tool through their industrial division under the name of Power wrench. They have 40 of these tools in their Chicago warehouse. Here is the brochure he sent me.

swenchbrochure.pdf

• Excellent 1

71_Bronco

@rayshorses, I spoke with Rodney as well. Had some questions when looking for one.

I specifically was looking for one of the smaller 1/2" drive ones, as my dad has plenty of 1/2" drive impact sockets. Unfortunately, those are very uncommon, as the military mostly orders the 750 (3/4" drive) and the 1000 models (1" drive). He did give me a price for the 1/2" drive model only, and it was mid 700's :o

On the bright side, I did finally settle on one out in Michigan, and am working out a deal with the seller.

I'll post some pics once I get it and before I wrap it for my dad.

Edit: I did come across a 5/8" drive one within a 2 hour drive for me. From what I was told, these were a super low run wrench from the early 60's. Would be neat to have that one, but the price wasn't right.

Edited by 71_Bronco
  • Like 1

71_Bronco

Quick little update. Got the Swench in last night :dance: This thing is a beast. I only got the 3/4" drive one. Can't imagine what the 1" one looks like.

I'm still waiting on some of the accessories to show up (shipped in a separate package to save on cost). Will post some pics a little later.

Just in time for my dad's birthday on the 9th.