F. Marra 17

414-8 transmission leak

F. Marra 17

I have a late 80's 414-8. my transmission has a slow oil leak. it leaks slow so its hard to see where it is coming from. i get a small puddle/stain on the floor center under the trans after a few days of non-use.  is there a usual problem area that leaks? or is there anyone in the NJ area that can be recommended to repair the trans? I am sure due to its age that gaskets or seals may be shot.  the tractor sat for 10+ years at my office on a shelf.  It has ran well the past 3 years for me.  I would like to fix this leak if possible.  Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU,

Frank

• Like 1

pullstart

Hey Frank,

the 8 speed doesn’t have too many leak points.  Input shaft, brake shaft, axle shafts and case gasket.  The gear shifter has a boot and the hi-low shifter has nothing.  Not too much fluid gets tossed that high to leak out.

My best suggestion would be to wash the transmission well with a degreaser and or a pressure washer.  Put some masking tape under the shafts mentioned and near the case gasket.  Run it a while, check the tape for moisture.  That should indicate where it’s coming from.  The key is to not let the leak point to saturate everything before you check.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

:text-yeahthat:

Short term suggestion - cardboard underneath keeps the floor clean...

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Retorque the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the Trans Cases together.  MAYBE an easy fix.  

• Like 3

pullstart
44 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

Retorque the 5 or 6 bolts that hold the Trans Cases together.  MAYBE an easy fix.  

Wow, great thought!  

squonk

I bet it's either the brake shaft or input shaft. Tractor sat for a while, seals hardened. Now running the brake and input shafts spin pretty fast. Prolly tore the seals. My 953 started pissing like a racehorse and left a puddle right in the middle underneath the case. Input seal was almost non existent. 

Edited by squonk

F. Marra 17

Thanks for the suggestions, I have some old carpet underneath for now, and have torqued the bolts in the past.  ill try the tape method to get a better idea.  i'm using the tractor to snowblow right now so i don't want to go too crazy disassembling until the winter is over.  

• Like 2

pullstart

Keeping a little extra fluid in it won’t hurt anything either, better to have extra than not enough!

• Like 2