Crmaverick

What’s with the hype on the mid mount grader blades?

Crmaverick

Something I haven’t figured out yet is how come these blades are so desired? 

Besides looking cool, what more can you do with one than with a dozer blade? Or a rear box blade? 

• Like 1

Crmaverick
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

With wheels in front of and behind the blade it will cut an average of the two heights thus leveling the surface.

Makes sense, how do they handle rocks without the springs like a dozer? Does it does just suddenly stop the whole tractor if you get hung up? 

I’ve been looking for a grader blade, can’t find one and started wondering if my dozer blade would do just of good a job. 

JAinVA

A front mounted push blade helps spread out large lumps of dirt or moves snow out of the way.  If  you hit a rock with a mid mount no worries because if  the front axle will clear it chances are the tractor will push it,unless the rock is half buried  With gps guided blades, dozers now can do a good job of pushing to a finished grade. Graders with mid mount blades do not need  to have a satellite to grade to a level finish.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Mid mount grader is MUCH easier to control by manual power. 

Trina has one for her 867. 

It's well balanced and does a great leveling job 

A front plow in manual lift is FAR heavier. 

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:popcorn:

I have a front blade. Will be following along to hear the thoughts...

• Like 1

Pullstart

Road graders have mid mount blades, never front plows.  They level so well and handle quite a load.  I’m glad I was able to acquire one a couple years back... for sure!

• Like 4

953 nut
8 hours ago, Crmaverick said:

how come these blades are so desired

Wheel Horse didn't sell too many of the grader blades as compared to the dozer blades. Most people don't have a need for one so with a limited supply out there the price tends to be a lot higher. I seldom use the mid mount blade I have but it is so handy that I won't consider being without one.

• Like 8

AMC RULES

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Crmaverick
2 hours ago, Achto said:

like stated above a grader blade just works better for leveling. I used mine this fall to level out some gravel piles for a friend of mine.

IMG_20201028_154340167.jpg.7da2a4ccb0f6bc3f4834090faa687a97.jpg 

I kept taking swipes at the side of the piles to break them down.

imagejpeg_2.jpg.9f27c7d8b18c963e08b51ce5c3f7d6c4.jpg

Finished product.

IMG_20201028_174115754.jpg.d7dce5ba3fbfefc8b6952568261a27a8.jpg

Makes me want one seeing this 

well anyway I’ll be posting a wanted ad now haha 

Edited by Crmaverick
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Here's a thread that shows the measurements and some close-ups if maybe you wanted to get one built yourself. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Here's a thread that shows the measurements and some close-ups if maybe you wanted to get one built yourself. 

I have your thread bookmarked since I will have to build it to have one where I live. Thanks Eric!! 

Randy

18 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

• Like 2

WHNJ701
11 hours ago, Crmaverick said:

Something I haven’t figured out yet is how come these blades are so desired? 

Besides looking cool, what more can you do with one than with a dozer blade? Or a rear box blade? 

It's kinda like we have to act like grown ups now, so instead of playing with tonka and ertl road graders and making a mess in the backyard and the neighbors looking at you weird.  You can use one these instead

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Maxwell-8

I did some grading today with my pull behind grader blade, wasn't bad, but i could have been better, because the blade moves in dependable from the Horse, i don't always have a perfect horizontal "pass" to put it in those words.I hope it makes sens what i am trying to explain  (Non native English speaker srry)

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Maxwell-8
16 hours ago, Crmaverick said:

how do they handle rocks without the springs like a dozer? Does it does just suddenly stop the whole tractor if you get hung up? 

I don't know how to edit quote's in on  an already made post so a new post it is: 

Advantage: That pull-behind grade blade just flies up violently. It barely weighs anything.

Edited by Maxwell-8

Handy Don
8 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I don't know how to edit quote's in on  an already made post so a new post it is: 

Advantage: That pull-behind grade blade just flies up violently. It barely weighs anything.

Many rear graders accommodate weights to help them stay down (see recent posts from @WVHillbilly520H, for example) Yours seems to be suspended between the tractor and a set of wheels so it acts just like a mid-grader, which is handy. I doubt you would get much better results with a mid-grader except for having the height control in front of you and not behind you or if you modified the lift to allow downforce. It also seems like you could add a weight box to your top bar.

(Note: you can always go back to any of your own posts and click the "edit" button in the lower right corner to fix text or images.)

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

(Note: you can always go back to any of your own posts and click the "edit" button in the lower right corner to fix text or images.)

I know but adding a quote seem impossible

And thanks for the tips!

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

And thanks for the tips!

Hmm, never tried to add a quote!

13 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Ok, so once I had my post open to edit, I went to an earlier post and clicked "Quote" and got this.

Tried to quote partial text and it didn't work. Guess you have to quote the entire post and then delete what you don't want :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

And thanks for the tips!

7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Hmm, never tried to add a quote!

Ok, so once I had my post open to edit, I went to an earlier post and clicked "Quote" and got this.

Tried to quote partial text and it didn't work. Guess you have to quote the entire post and then delete what you don't want :rolleyes:

If you go back and edit a post instead of creating a new one the email system does not send a notification. Because of that I rarely edit a post and even then it is only to correct spelling or grammar etc.

To quote somebody I do one of two things. I either hit quote and leave the whole thing alone or highlight just a word or two.

Keeping in mind, this is on an Android phone. Not a PC.....

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Keeping in mind, this is on an Android phone. Not a PC.....

Thanks, i have to be on a PC, tho better inspect and see everbody's builds in more detail!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

Road graders have mid mount blades, never front plows. 

Depends, around here (WV VA) they use front plows for snow removal. Usually on secondary routes.

Screenshot_20210120-181115.png

Screenshot_20210120-181206.png

• Like 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Depends, around here (WV VA) they use front plows for snow removal. Usually on secondary routes.

Screenshot_20210120-181115.png

Screenshot_20210120-181206.png

well, yeah...  but not for leveling dirt or roads or whatnot...

WHX??

If I had to explain you wouldn't  understand. ..:)

20181011_173022.jpg

20181013_090059.jpg

20181013_115500.jpg

20181013_091404.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

c-series don

I have been running road graders since 1993 and truly enjoyed the challenge of being the guy that had to make it perfect before the paving crew showed up. To me operating a grader is the pinnacle of equipment operating. That being said, I have a 50” mid-mount grader blade on a Work Horse GT-1800 and I live on a dirt road. Occasionally I take it out to fix the potholes and I have to say that thing works like a champ! I just wish it had a tilt feature. To me it’s a fun attachment that actually works! 

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1