Maxwell-8

Remote start WH

Maxwell-8

I have been thinking about this for quite a  while. A mower, that has a remote start.

I see these 12v remote switches all over the ebay. Any of you any experience, Would be cool to start you Wheel Horse from a distance. 

If i do it i must remember to put it out of gear:D, and to remove the seat safety switch.

s-l1600.jpg

(Don't now quite, where to put this post.)

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

"choke" would be an issue. 

Interesting idea!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Maxwell-8
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Interesting idea!

Yes true, got to keep that in mind, Thanks! 

I think i will order one, and share how it works.

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

pacer
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I agree, of the some 80-100 tractors/small engines I have owned I cannot recall a single one that had to have at least a little choke when cold, In fact many ... most? need a bit of ..... finesse? with the choke, you know, close one eye, cross your fingers, raise one leg, etc, etc. My kids could never start an engine because they didnt know Pops ... ritual!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Maxwell-8

mhh and if you have a diesel you need to finesse with the decomp. 

In the summer i don't have to finesse with the choke on my 312 and Riader, so i could get away, with setting the choke when i am done, for the next time. 

I am trying to find a cheap one, as they sell for 9€, but shipping because of the brexit, costs a wopping 45€.

Maybe i can reprogram the the remote from my 12v exhaust valve

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Maybe converting to some type of electric choke would help?  

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

And maybe Max, you should create a YouTube video for the project!

• Haha 1

Stepney

Anybody remember the episode of the Red Green show, when he had extension cords running into the Possum Lodge for a remote starter on his car? Hooked up to electric drills, one drill turned the key, the other was connected by a scrap of wood to the throttle, and he would reverse the drill leads to prime the engine:laughing-rofl:

Some of the old Onan/Kohler/Wisconsin generators had climatic chokes like cars had, others had a little solenoid usually wired into the field of the generator, and once the engine fired, the logic was the power would cut the choke off.. if RPM dropped, the choke would kick back in.

Vague memories of the Kohler that was in our elementary school kicking and balking for a few minutes on cold mornings, as the lights went on and off.

On the subject though.. I personally don't like self starters.. I like to hear a cold engine firing up to listen for any signs of trouble. My old Subaru has one, but I never use it. Sister had an old RAV4 with one that .. wasn't always well maintained. One time it fired off on low fuel and sat for a little while while it warmed up.. burning out the fuel pump due to the incline. Another time it was low on oil and I came out to it rattling like heck. 

I've had small engine governors stick.. more than once on a K series. 

I'm generally a spoilsport worrier with that sort of thing anyway, but I just feel it's kind of important to always be alert. 

Blissfully remember an auto-start Tecumseh 16hp generator the neighbor had, which would automatically fire over after the power was out for 5 minutes..

She called me over one day, saying it fired up, stopped, and just sat there 'buzzing'.

The buzzing was the starter motor freewheeling, the throttle stuck open and the flywheel let go, shooting out of the housing the machine was in. 

..Just food for thought from someone around too many freak accidents. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lee1977

Besides the choke the first thing you should do before starting an old tractor is check the oil. The newest Wheel Horse Garden Tractor is already 15 years old.

• Like 5

pfrederi

All I can add is "WHY????"

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

953 nut

Lets see,           :confusion-confused:           we will need a solenoid operated choke, a vacuum operated starter motor cut out so that if/when the engine starts it will not continue to turn,             :confusion-scratchheadyellow:        an engine kill relay connected to a motion detector to shut the engine off when you screw up and don't put the transmission in neutral.              :scared-eek:           and a law firm kept on retainer to get you out of jail when the inevitable unforeseen accident happens.         :hide:

Other than that it sounds like a great idea!             :ychain: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

RandyLittrell

Well, ya should check the oil before you fire it up. (Not that I do! LOL)  

I think it's asking for trouble personally, but I know I would forget to leave it in neutral since I have been putting something in gear when parking for the last 40 years!! 

Randy

• Like 1

Tractorhead

@pfrederi Paul that‘s Play instinct... 😇

Huh yes, can be Funny but also can‘t be Funny.

nearly lot’s of troubles can be easily solved.

Work with 2 RC Servos because also the Throttle must be set a little.

That all can simply being solved with an Arduino and a little Programming.

Oil must be checked before like a ritual, that all can be solved.

But believe me it be also interesting to see, once if you parked it with a Gear in - still in forward or better reverse...

that are mishaps they will happen some day, you prepare it and forgot to put in neutral before....

Don‘t ask me why i knew it... 😎

My reason to have such an old Piece of Iron is, 

not to have that F*** electronic Theatres in it.

All is Simply mechanic and 3 Wires at Maximum..

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

My reason to have such an old Piece of Iron is, 

not to have that F*** electronic Theatres in it.

All is Simply mechanic and 3 Wires at Maximum..

I understand that 100%

Maxwell-8
10 hours ago, pullstart said:

And maybe Max, you should create a YouTube video for the project!

I will, but you got to excuse me for the bad english accent.

7 hours ago, pfrederi said:

All I can add is "WHY????"

I understand it, why do cars have remote start (which is illegal here in Europe) , I got the parts so, doing a little experiment. We have no snow, grass doesn't need to be cut. So can't do a lot with my WH's at the moment.

6 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Well, ya should check the oil before you fire it up.

I look on the ground, for no leaks, and .... i check my oil for fuel that maybe got in the oil, but to prevent that, i have a petcock. :eusa-think:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead
3 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

I will, but you got to excuse me for the bad english accent.

I understand it, why do cars have remote start (which is illegal here in Europe) , I got the parts so, doing a little experiment. We have no snow, grass doesn't need to be cut. So can't do a lot with my WH's at the moment.

Your accent couldn’t be as worse as my English. 😎

Think the lads here will know what we try to tell them

and if not, the will ask.

Jump on the Horse and do a little Trail ride.

let it stretch it‘s legs and have Fun.

👍

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

There may be a language barrier, but it is just a hiccup in our communication.  I’ve been to Germany four times but can’t speak fluent much more than ordering a coffee.  The funniest part, one time I tried to order food for all of us at Burger King.  How hard would it be to order off the number menu?  Well, harder than you think!  Nobody could speak any English there and I was side swiped by the small/medium/large response and we were at a standstill! :ROTF:

• Haha 4

Maxwell-8
32 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Jump on the Horse and do a little Trail ride.

let it stretch it‘s legs and have Fun.

Belgium, one of the most densely populated country's, we seriously don't have any real trails to ride. I am in the lucky position to have access to some private woods, and my planning is to go build some trails there this week.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

KAA 1973

I thought it was illegal to have remote start in Germany.

At least that's what the Audi dealer keeps telling my wife every time she buys a new car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maxwell-8
4 minutes ago, KAA 1973 said:

I thought it was illegal to have remote start in Germany.

At least that's what the Audi dealer keeps telling my wife every time she buys a new car.

illegal if a person does it , i think no big deal, just the manufacturers in Europe can not put it in their car

European laws are very strict,  lifted trucks, different shocks, tuned cars, camber, window tint(on driver, passenger and front window) all illegal

Edited by Maxwell-8

lynnmor
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

illegal if a person does it , i think no big deal, just the manufacturers in Europe can not put it in their car

European laws are very strict,  lifted trucks, different shocks, tuned cars, camber, window tint(on driver, passenger and front window) all illegal

We have safety and emissions inspection in many states so most of those things are illegal here.  Trouble is that nobody pays attention to the law, not even the inspectors.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Also would have to consider the exhaust, if it's being started in a shed or barn of some sort. Obviously outside wouldn't be an issue

• Like 1

SALTYWRIGHT

i had remote start on my 1054 diesel w/h and now on my gt-1800 work horse. it is alot of fun at shows. Very easy to do. I am going to put remote steering on my gt-1800.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

dodge78

A fiend of mine gave me a kit he had laying around. I put it on my 418a with a fuel injected 19 hp kohler. He got mad and wanted it on his green pile. I took it off and gave it back. He found out his would not start too well that way and tried to give it back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Bigtrx34
On 1/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Stepney said:

Anybody remember the episode of the Red Green show, when he had extension cords running into the Possum Lodge for a remote starter on his car? Hooked up to electric drills, one drill turned the key, the other was connected by a scrap of wood to the throttle, and he would reverse the drill leads to prime the engine:laughing-rofl:

Some of the old Onan/Kohler/Wisconsin generators had climatic chokes like cars had, others had a little solenoid usually wired into the field of the generator, and once the engine fired, the logic was the power would cut the choke off.. if RPM dropped, the choke would kick back in.

Vague memories of the Kohler that was in our elementary school kicking and balking for a few minutes on cold mornings, as the lights went on and off.

On the subject though.. I personally don't like self starters.. I like to hear a cold engine firing up to listen for any signs of trouble. My old Subaru has one, but I never use it. Sister had an old RAV4 with one that .. wasn't always well maintained. One time it fired off on low fuel and sat for a little while while it warmed up.. burning out the fuel pump due to the incline. Another time it was low on oil and I came out to it rattling like heck. 

I've had small engine governors stick.. more than once on a K series. 

I'm generally a spoilsport worrier with that sort of thing anyway, but I just feel it's kind of important to always be alert. 

Blissfully remember an auto-start Tecumseh 16hp generator the neighbor had, which would automatically fire over after the power was out for 5 minutes..

She called me over one day, saying it fired up, stopped, and just sat there 'buzzing'.

The buzzing was the starter motor freewheeling, the throttle stuck open and the flywheel let go, shooting out of the housing the machine was in. 

..Just food for thought from someone around too many freak accidents. 

Put me in coach I can score

5c893402a7e6e.image.jpg

• Thanks 1