racerjohnbf

Looking for my first Horse....Which model?

elcamino/wheelhorse

@racerjohnbf Ask @pullstartfor his latest how many can I haul on this and still pull a big A  _ _ camper. If you find a tractor that has your interest , post a picture or pictures . This will let us chime in about it as to whether it would be a good purchase. We like pictures , most of us read on a second grade level . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Yeah, I’ve been known to haul a funny looking load.  This is Norman, hauling the tractors.  The “Imagine” 37’ travel trailer in tow behind me.

9AC89366-BE66-44DA-9610-F9C503DD4717.jpeg

0938C8FC-F572-437C-8C13-26E23C6BC846.jpeg

• Like 1

Tractorhead
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

It took a day or so to manage.  No real estate of the truck untouched.

This was the 2018 “Big Show” and the truck had something like 3,000 miles on it :handgestures-thumbupright:

E63C2026-82D6-4038-A914-D6D1FAD8D4A4.jpeg

9579CCDC-BE68-4FEC-8A0A-31BC32E1C4BE.jpeg

What a nice 656 aside of Putt putt

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

racerjohnbf

Well apparently  I missed the last few posts in my own thread lol. 

Anyway, I just picked up my first Wheel Horse! It's a 314-8 with a rear discharge deck, snow plow, rear  wheel weights and chains. It needs a little TLC, but for $650 I don't think I did too bad. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

Well apparently  I missed the last few posts in my own thread lol. 

Anyway, I just picked up my first Wheel Horse! It's a 314-8 with a rear discharge deck, snow plow, rear  wheel weights and chains. It needs a little TLC, but for $650 I don't think I did too bad. 

WONDERFUL!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Great , We need pictures . We always like pictures .  The should be a model number and serial number on the seat pan. Send those along and we can tell you the year it was build.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Plenty of power for all your needs!  And for what you got not a bad price at all if everything is decent.  Summer and winter.  Now if you find almost any other Horse you won't have to swap implements. Good job! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

WONDERFUL!!!

1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Great , We need pictures . We always like pictures .  The should be a model number and serial number on the seat pan. Send those along and we can tell you the year it was build.

17 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Plenty of power for all your needs!  And for what you got not a bad price at all if everything is decent.  Summer and winter.  Now if you find almost any other Horse you won't have to swap implements. Good job! 

Thanks! I'll look tomorrow for the model serial tag. I looked but think it may have been removed. I'm excited to have my first Horse! I'll start a new thread as soon as I get started working on it.  

Haven't tried, but can I post pictures or do I need to be a supporter to do that?

• Like 2

Lee1977
On 1/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, ebinmaine said:

For ease of repair and maintenance your best bet, given the desire for an 80s model, would be a 300 series. 

Less wiring to deal with. 

We plow snow with 2 manuals right now. 

Trina uses her 1967 867 and I use a '74 C160. 

The only disadvantage to a manual transmission for plowing is if you do alot of back and forth the clutch and up/down lever are in constant use. Hence, so is your left foot and arm. 

A hydro with a hydraulic lift would be easier on your body in that way. I have one in process right now. 

300 series were made in 8, 10 and 12 horsepower versions. ANY would work. 12 would be stronger of course. 

Was it me I'd go for a manual transmission. They were all 8 speeds at that point. 

That would be a better overall fit given the desired chores to be completed.... IMHO. 

The towing CAPACITY is 200 to 300 pounds. The towing CAPABILITY is FAR more. The STOPPING is what dictates your actual towing ability. 

I've moved over 1000 pounds in very hilly terrain many times. 

I run machinery as my profession. I have my tractor set up VERY well to do so. I'm comfortable doing so. 

The question is likely not 

CAN it move the smoker. 

It's more like

SHOULD it move the smoker. 

Wheelhorses are extremely capable machines. They also tend to multiply seemingly by themselves. 

Perhaps your TRUE BEST BET is one of each .... hydro and manual transmission!!

:lol:

They also made some 314-8 and 314-A in 1985 later on they made 316-8 with an Onan.

• Like 3

DennisThornton
59 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

Thanks! I'll look tomorrow for the model serial tag. I looked but think it may have been removed. I'm excited to have my first Horse! I'll start a new thread as soon as I get started working on it.  

Haven't tried, but can I post pictures or do I need to be a supporter to do that?

Lot's of reasons for being a supporter beside posting pictures!  Take LOTs and LOTs of pictures for yourself but you don't need to post all of them.  Be sure to get all decals and part numbers.  Check every moving part for wear and make a list of all your findings.  Act like you are thinking about buying and have plenty of time to check it out.  Later on when you have a dozen or more other Wheel Horses your pictures and the info will come in even more handy.

• Like 5

racerjohnbf

Oh I plan on becoming  a supporter, because I know thats what keeps this great site going!

I will get lots of pictures and start a new thread when I get started on it.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

rjg854

:text-worthless:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

racerjohnbf

Ok ok. :) Here's a pic. I'll get out and get some more today. 

20210206_150136.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

Tractorhead

Appears to be in good Condition.

• Like 2

racerjohnbf
2 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Appears to be in good Condition.

Yes it does. I don't think it's gonna take much more than going through the fuel system to get it going. And the clutch return spring is disconnected or missing. I'll get more pics later but the plow that came with it looks barely used.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, rjg854 said:

:text-worthless:

@racerjohnbf

Ya have to excuse us.... We're basically little kids Forced to become larger. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

racerjohnbf
20 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@racerjohnbf

Ya have to excuse us.... We're basically little kids Forced to become larger. 

Haha no worries! I'll fit right here :D

• Haha 1

Lee1977
54 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

Yes it does. I don't think it's gonna take much more than going through the fuel system to get it going. And the clutch return spring is disconnected or missing. I'll get more pics later but the plow that came with it looks barely used.

You can get the clutch spring # 108035 from RCPW for $10.61 with free shipping. I usually go there if ordering one or two items, It' not free shipping they add $2 to each Toro part. They do offer after market parts but after paying shipping

on those they are around the same price.  If the spring is still there I would suggest replacing it. 

Those models had a damper on the clutch that may have quit working Just take it off and throw it a way you will be better with out it. Just let the clutch out slowly if the engine is wide open.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
1 minute ago, Lee1977 said:

You can get the clutch spring # 108035 from RCPW for $10.61 with free shipping. I usually go there if ordering one or two items, It' not free shipping they add $2 to each Toro part. They do offer after market parts but after paying shipping

on those they are around the same price.  If the spring is still there I would suggest replacing it. 

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing it would be wise to go ahead and replace the drive belt as well. 

Also I'll have to look a closer today, but most of the snow plows I've  seen on here have a handle to change the blade angle from the operator seat. Mine didn't come with that. Not sure if  that is standard on the plow or an add.

Lee1977
2 minutes ago, racerjohnbf said:

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm guessing it would be wise to go ahead and replace the drive belt as well. 

Also I'll have to look a closer today, but most of the snow plows I've  seen on here have a handle to change the blade angle from the operator seat. Mine didn't come with that. Not sure if  that is standard on the plow or an add.

I add to my post check it out.

• Thanks 1

racerjohnbf
6 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

I add to my post check it out.

Yes I just looked the parts diagram. That gas shock is $108 dollars! I'll take the spring lol. Will there already be mounting holes for the spring?

Lee1977
1 minute ago, racerjohnbf said:

Yes I just looked the parts diagram. That gas shock is $108 dollars! I'll take the spring lol. Will there already be mounting holes for the spring?

Yes the is a hole in the web on the axle housing and the other hole is in the clutch bracket this is all on the left side.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, racerjohnbf said:

Ok ok. :) Here's a pic. I'll get out and get some more today. 

20210206_150136.jpg

I already see you did fine!  Even without more pics!  No shame if that's all you got for the money!

• Like 1

racerjohnbf
18 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I already see you did fine!  Even without more pics!  No shame if that's all you got for the money!

Thanks. I have to thank @elcamino/wheelhorse for giving me advice on its value before I went and got it.

• Like 3

racerjohnbf
25 minutes ago, Lee1977 said:

Yes the is a hole in the web on the axle housing and the other hole is in the clutch bracket this is all on the left side.

Good deal! Thanks!