WheelhorseBob

Lithium ion power tools

cschannuth

My 20V DeWalt heavy duty 1/2” drill will break your wrist just like my corded heavy duty 1/2” drill if you don’t use the side handle. And the 20V will drill 4” holes all day on one 5ah battery charge. It is amazing. 

Handy Don
6 hours ago, tom2p said:

Milwaukee has a sweet one-hand cordless lithium ion reciprocating saw 

6 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

This little 3/8 impact puts out 250 ft lbs. or so it says and man is it the perfect size for tight spots!

Am also a convert to M12 (the impact driver's compactness and "screw driver" mode and the drill-driver's load sense torque system are mind-blowingly helpful). Added the tripod-mounted work light this Christmas and already finding it a treat to have such strong light without tripping over a cord--may need to get another one of those!

Stepney
4 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

But the battery for the IR’s is kind of big and clunky. Sorry had too😂

But .. does your battery still hold a charge after 107 years?:icecream:

OK so it is a little slow to charge.. 

And looks like suspiciously like an old beer keg.. 

dscn2241.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

8ntruck
7 hours ago, jabelman said:

Look what it did for r/c cars trucks and planes

I used to race R/C boats a long time ago.  The hot set up then was glow engines running on 40% nitromethane.  

Now, the mainstream R/C boat racing classes are electrics using brushless motors and lipo batteries.  They are just as fast or faster than the old nitro classes.  They don't sound or smell right, though. 

• Like 1

Stepney
4 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I used to race R/C boats a long time ago.  The hot set up then was glow engines running on 40% nitromethane.  

Now, the mainstream R/C boat racing classes are electrics using brushless motors and lipo batteries.  They are just as fast or faster than the old nitro classes.  They don't sound or smell right, though. 

I had a Traxxas Jato 3.3 with the 2 speed gearbox and the .. hideously finicky belt driven supercharger on it. 

Nothing sounded right .. or smelled right, after a hour of that thing on the track we used to have outside of town. It would easily burn up a gallon of fuel in an afternoon. That bugger would detonate driveline parts on the regular.

Keeping that thing in check, could have bought me a 420LSE.. decided to sell it when I saw the writing on the wall for the old units like itself, just around the time brushless was coming around. 

8ntruck
25 minutes ago, Stepney said:

I had a Traxxas Jato 3.3 with the 2 speed gearbox and the .. hideously finicky belt driven supercharger on it. 

Nothing sounded right .. or smelled right, after a hour of that thing on the track we used to have outside of town. It would easily burn up a gallon of fuel in an afternoon. That bugger would detonate driveline parts on the regular.

Keeping that thing in check, could have bought me a 420LSE.. decided to sell it when I saw the writing on the wall for the old units like itself, just around the time brushless was coming around. 

I know what you mean about the drivelline parts.  

The one of mine I remember was my 1/8 scale hydro loping down the back stretch with the OPS .60 turning somewhere around 25k when it just stopped - went dead silent.  Everybody on the dock looked at me and said 'that sounded bad'. 

Turns out, it inhaled the idle screw out of the carb, cut it in half with the rotary intake valve, rattled it around in the crankcase for a bit until it until it trapped it between the big end of the rod and the crankcase.  Fortunately, the driveshaft collet prevented the driveshaft and prop from sliding out of the boat into Davey Jones' locker.  I had many hours of modification, balancing, and polishing into that prop.

Sorry.  I'm done hijacking the thread now......

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Haha 1

Stepney
3 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I know what you mean about the drivelline parts.  

The one of mine I remember was my 1/8 scale hydro loping down the back stretch with the OPS .60 turning somewhere around 25k when it just stopped - went dead silent.  Everybody on the dock looked at me and said 'that sounded bad'. 

Turns out, it inhaled the idle screw out of the carb, cut it in half with the rotary intake valve, rattled it around in the crankcase for a bit until it until it trapped it between the big end of the rod and the crankcase.  Fortunately, the driveshaft collet prevented the driveshaft and prop from sliding out of the boat into Davy Jones' locker.  I had many hours of modification, balancing, and polishing into that prop.

Sorry.  I'm done hijacking the thread now......

Never played with the boats, but that all sounds too familiar.. good memories. 

tom2p
2 hours ago, Stepney said:

Never played with the boats, but that all sounds too familiar.. good memories. 

ditto - fortunate the kids stayed on the ground and not in the air or water ... but this boat was tempting :

C438E4BB-39CB-4BC2-8FF4-49B18F7AAAC5.jpeg

D00F0D4E-6613-4852-BAF5-C81B32705B28.jpeg

Edited by tom2p

wallfish
13 minutes ago, tom2p said:

ditto - fortunate the kids stayed on the ground and not in the air or water ... but this boat was tempting :

Ooo A White Heat. I collect O&R powered stuff. Do you know where that boat is?

tom2p
2 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ooo A White Heat. I collect O&R powered stuff. Do you know where that boat is?

pic was taken late summer 2019 - at Trader Jack's flea market (south western PA flea market)

possible I also saw that boat at Rogers OH flea market (eastern OH) - but not sure 

tom2p
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Am also a convert to M12 (the impact driver's compactness and "screw driver" mode and the drill-driver's load sense torque system are mind-blowingly helpful). Added the tripod-mounted work light this Christmas and already finding it a treat to have such strong light without tripping over a cord--may need to get another one of those!

I go to flea markets often - typically every weekend weather permitting 

lots of tools 

not too long ago - seemed the most interest was in DeWalt power tools but recent years there appears to be a shift toward Milwaukee cordless tools 

tom2p

today cut up our Christmas tree with a DeWalt cordless recip saw 

in the past / prev years - I've used loppers and a hand saw 

today much easier / quicker with the cordless recip saw

6C1D1090-11C3-4084-A49A-221FA8219C76.jpeg

• Like 1

Stepney
19 hours ago, tom2p said:

C438E4BB-39CB-4BC2-8FF4-49B18F7AAAC5.jpeg

D00F0D4E-6613-4852-BAF5-C81B32705B28.jpeg

I've go that very same engine on a little snowblower! What a cantankerous, tedious little guy it is.. 

WHNJ701
20 hours ago, tom2p said:

I messed with planes for few months and had enough sense to get out before I lost a lot of money.  When I was taking lessons this one dude had this giant plane, big enough a small kid could probably fit into it.  It was one that did crazy aerobatics, smoke system, retractable gear and big 4 cyl engine.

He was whipping all around and than starts screaming swear words, here he lost radio with it and it nose dived into the ground.  As he was picking up the pieces he told us he had about 10 grand into that plane

• Sad 1