WheelhorseBob

Lithium ion power tools

WheelhorseBob

Well I have to say I’m really enjoying my Milwaukee M12 tools. I just bought a M12 3/8 Fuel impact and couldn’t be happier. This thing is awesome! Next is a M12 3/8 fuel ratchet provided my wife doesn’t throw me out! Seriously these tools are making air tools prehistoric. Makes working on the Horses a bit more enjoyable!😉

image.jpg

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

WHNJ701

I had this conversation awhile ago, aside from filling your tires, air tools are going to obsolete shortly

• Like 5

8ntruck

I started with a Black&Decker 20 volt 3/8 drill.  That has grown to a string trimmer, two leaf blowers, a 'saws all', an impact driver and a 12" chain saw, all using the same 20 volt system.

They have done everything I've needed so far.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Agree... No hoses and way more portable...!

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

rjg854

I'll second the Milwaukee tools. I happen to have the M18 tools.  1/2 in hammer drill, 3/8 impact drill, SDS hammer drill, grinder, sawzall, hackzall, 16 gauge pin nailer, 6 1/2 circular saw, and a bunch of batteries.  Cordless is the way to go, not having to worry about power or air close by is a huge plus.  Batteries even hold up well even in the coldest weather.

• Like 4

DennisThornton

Battery powered tools are obsoleting both air, corded and pushing hard against gas powered tools.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

All true. 

I was using a corded drill many moons ago to drive screws and small bolts. 

Maybe 15 or 18 years ago I graduated to a cordless screwdriver and thought I'd never seen something so incredible. 

About 5 years back I got a real live actual 1/4" impact driver. 

A new world of opportunity was now at my feet. 

A couple years ago I stopped at a pull in spot on RT 95 to tighten straps on the truck. On the ground was a DeWalt 3/8" impact driver. 

It was working although very rough looking. I took a chance on ordering a cheap charger online. 

That has been my go-to tool for nearly every job we do around here since. 

Things I'd like to add:

Larger more powerful impact gun. 

Battery chainsaw. 

• Like 2

WHNJ701
32 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Battery powered tools are obsoleting both air, corded and pushing hard against gas powered tools.

Agree again, the battery weed whacker is the greatest thing ever, I got rid of my gas ones a few years ago.  I got 5.5 acres the battery one works just fine

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Agree again, the battery weed whacker is the greatest thing ever, I got rid of my gas ones a few years ago.  I got 5.5 acres the battery one works just fine

Do you use that just for grass or thicker woody stuff too?

DennisThornton
6 minutes ago, jabelman said:

I bought an extra battery and fast charger for my weed whacker and I can go pretty much without having to wait on a charge.  Starts every time!

• Like 2

Zeek

I have a Li-ion powered impact that blows away my old Snap-on air gun. I have Li-ion pole saw that will cut through 4" branches and vines. It will cut a pile big enough to burn before it goes dead. In fact I've never cut enough to make it go dead. 

I think it's to the point where I'm going to try a Li-ion chainsaw one of these days, because the gas models are a high maintenance pain.

• Like 1

tom2p

Milwaukee has a sweet one-hand cordless lithium ion reciprocating saw 

I have a similar saw I really like - DeWalt - it's smaller and weighs less - but with a shorter stroke does not cut as fast as the Milwaukee 

run time is impressive - with brushless motor and lithium ion battery it will go a long time even with a smaller 3Ah battery 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

WheelhorseBob

I have the Dewalt 18 volt saws all and drill. Also a Dewalt corded 1/2" impact. I decided on the Milwaukee M12 line due to size and pure mechanical work. I've read a ton of reviews and the M12 brushless Fuel tools seem to get high marks. This little 3/8 impact puts out 250 ft lbs. or so it says and man is it the perfect size for tight spots! 

Edited by WheelhorseBob
  • Like 2

squonk

Mi;waukee M12 here. 1/4 ratchet, Hackzall, Band,Saw, Rt. Angle Drill, One handed cut off Saw & Power Screwdriver. Plus a coupe of 6AH batteries for more power. Still nothing can replace my IR 1/2 impact and Mac Tools air hammer

• Like 1

Stepney

I've got the M18 sawzall, hammer drill, 1/2" impact. All are impressively good but.. I know in the back of my mind, my older IR air tools will still be running long after these investments hit the landfill. 

• Like 2

tom2p

can be tough to find the batteries at a decent price at the retailers 

can often find the battery powered tools at a good price and often marked down - but batteries are not marked down near as often 

typically get my batteries on line - don't mind paying a little more at the local retailer but when they are double the price ... fuhgetaboutit 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

tom2p

for significant heavy inside / garage use and for guys earning a living with their tools - the battery powered tools probably are not ideal 

but when you are working good distance from a garage or power supply - they sure are a plus 

Maxwell-8

Thanks to the intoduction of lithium-ion and brushless motors, battery powertools have come a long long way in the past 5-10 years. That's for sure

Okey so not quite like an airtool on those bolts, but with a battery you don't have to wear an air compressor with a extensioncord on your back, out on the field

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 1

WHNJ701
14 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Thanks to the intoduction of lithium-ion and brushless motors, battery powertools have come a long long way in the past 5-10 years. That's for sure

Look what it did for r/c cars trucks and planes

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
18 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Sure, i bought one of the first brusless rc cars, it had so much power, it stripped the gears in a hurry. :lol: hahahaha

:auto-layrubber:

tom2p
19 minutes ago, jabelman said:

agree 

and advancements in brushless motors have made them even more attractive ... sensored brushless ... waterproof sensored brushless ... etc

WheelhorseBob
2 hours ago, Stepney said:

I've got the M18 sawzall, hammer drill, 1/2" impact. All are impressively good but.. I know in the back of my mind, my older IR air tools will still be running long after these investments hit the landfill. 

But the battery for the IR’s is kind of big and clunky. Sorry had too😂image.jpeg.202970d2dc4dc80b79a2d990c4dca359.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p

just fairly recently I began to use more cordless tools - even though I had them

old habits are hard to break I guess

some credit goes to my youngest kid - he saw me using a corded drill this past summer and said 'who uses a corded drill ?'

this past fall when he was watching me cut with a hand saw he said : 'if we only had the proper power tool'  

I keep extension cords handy - he told me to ditch them and the healing can then begin  lol

• Like 1

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, tom2p said:

he told me to ditch them and the healing can then begin

This is a creature showing vast wisdom beyond his years. 

RandyLittrell
4 hours ago, tom2p said:

for significant heavy inside / garage use and for guys earning a living with their tools - the battery powered tools probably are not ideal 

but when you are working good distance from a garage or power supply - they sure are a plus 

I am gonna have to disagree with you on that. My last job before I went on disability was at a chevy dealer in the body shop. All the body men and mechanics use as much lithium tools as possible. You can get them in a lot smaller spaces without a hose attached. The time it takes to drag a hose around adds up in a days time and time is money when you flag hours for a living!  But when you need something powerful for an extended time, you can't beat air or corded. 

Randy