Brockport Bill

Wheel Horse Red paint color match???

Brockport Bill

yikes those reds are beautiful --- I actually talked to an auto body place today just to explore ideas -- but i also had my order of 4 different red spray paint can colors arrive today - -so i will test them each on the bare underneath of my shiny clean mower deck to see which color looks best and i like -- then i have to decide if i plan to do piecemeal, or maybe take sections to auto body ( if not having to pay a fortune) -- i am NOT looking for full restore - just maybe the deck and hood, seat fenders, and foot rests, side panels ? Still considering options but the info here is awesome -- thanks

JCM

@Brockport Bill   Those footrest pads were from WheelHorse when they were still available and were used on the 520's and 400 series. I believe they are still available in both styles after market from classickitchensandmore but do not have the adhesive backing like the OEM ones did, use 3M black weatherstrip adhesive to apply, part #08011. I prefer the longer ones that go up to the rear fender pan for more protection on worker tractors. The ones pictured below are OEM ones I bought 15 to 20 years ago and put them to use in 2020.  Don't forget the 2 small rubber bumpers available from Toro that go on the top of the footrest to cushion the fender pan.    Good luck

IMG_0188.JPG

Zeek

:popcorn:

• Haha 1

Brockport Bill
On 1/16/2021 at 7:04 AM, JCM said:

@Brockport Bill   Those footrest pads were from WheelHorse when they were still available and were used on the 520's and 400 series. I believe they are still available in both styles after market from classickitchensandmore but do not have the adhesive backing like the OEM ones did, use 3M black weatherstrip adhesive to apply, part #08011. I prefer the longer ones that go up to the rear fender pan for more protection on worker tractors. The ones pictured below are OEM ones I bought 15 to 20 years ago and put them to use in 2020.  Don't forget the 2 small rubber bumpers available from Toro that go on the top of the footrest to cushion the fender pan.    Good luck

IMG_0188.JPG

On 1/16/2021 at 7:04 AM, JCM said:

IMG_0188.JPG

Brockport Bill

great advice --- thanks for taking the time -- 

will do !!!!

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

just wondering  - why would a Kitchen supplier have wheel horse rubber foot rest parts?

• Confused 1

Maxwell-8
On 1/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, JCM said:

img20200728_11244120.jpg

If you see those old pics,  you can't believe they stopped building them.  Such a shame they did stop building.

• Like 1

JCM
2 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

just wondering  - why would a Kitchen supplier have wheel horse rubber foot rest parts?

If you find out why please let me know. I have no clue. Just for your info those footrests pictured have the black background around all the holes where the fasteners go, these were for a 420 LSE and to my knowledge they are the only ones painted like that when assembled from the factory, all other models have the footrests painted all red. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

you can't believe they stopped building them

Thank China and their cheap throw-away products.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

JCM

@Maxwell-8    @Brockport Bill That 312-8 was a 1986 with the K series engine not the magnum and was a sweet tractor.  A friend that I sold it to around 20 years ago just passed it on to his brother. The 86 lives on. A few more before and after pictures for you.

img20200728_11021958.jpg

img20200728_11040458.jpg

img20200728_11051287.jpg

img20200728_11065256.jpg

img20200728_11134362.jpg

img20200728_11115213.jpg

img20200728_11010064.jpg

img20200728_11145637.jpg

img20200728_11182215.jpg

img20200728_11193348.jpg

img20200728_11205894.jpg

img20200728_11225912.jpg

img20200728_11262329.jpg

img20200728_11083650.jpg

img20200728_11101720.jpg

img20200729_19413784.jpg

img20200729_19395421.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Maxwell-8
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Thank China and their cheap throw-away products.

I know, i TRY to avoid buying chinees stuff, but men that's hard, everything seems to be made there. The job loss this creates for Europe but surely for the US.

Milwaukee tools is even moving to combodja for production, because china is getting to expensive. 

• Sad 1

Brockport Bill

absolutely spectacular photos - very impressive --- Do you know what most owners do to paint the wheels ? My 89, 312-8 has the gray wheels -- i just took the weights off a few months ago after 25 years  - and surprisingly they are in ok condition - apparently the weights sorta protected the rims -- However, I would like to paint them, or get them painted --- do most people just masking tape the tires to protect from from the paint application and paint wheels with tires on? - or do they take the wheels and tires to tire shop for tires to be removed? Do most have the  rims sand blasted? -- I suppose i could use my angle grinder to get lots of scratches or rust but sorta hard to get into tight spaces of the wheel rims with a grinder? Any suggestions best approach for painting gray wheels? Thank you -- Oh,  other question to ask --- for mower deck, or plow, or Tractor etc --- Do most people remove decals - -peel them off, sand them off,  tape and paint around them ???? --  order new decals? How do they remove them?

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Brockport Bill said:

Do most people remove decals - -peel them off, sand them off,  tape and paint around them ???? --  order new decals? How do they remove them?

For my worker where the paint was poor but the decals ok, I blue taped over them and trimmed the tape with a razor knife. The paint formed a sort of fillet to cover the knife scratch at the edge of the decal. Practically any decals you want to heat off and replace, or even customize, are available as reproductions from @Vinylguy, a vendor on this site.

WVHillbilly520H
48 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

For my worker where the paint was poor but the decals ok, I blue taped over them and trimmed the tape with a razor knife.

Basically what I did to the 414-8 I done last spring/summer.

20200627_072504.jpg

20200703_152920.jpg

20200703_160727_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
20 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

It's pretty simple I think.  We all have day jobs.  Some of us run businesses and have websites set up already.  Some guys try to make a little extra coin by selling repop parts for our beloved machines.  Why not use the website that's already up and running?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
14 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

It's pretty simple I think.  We all have day jobs.  Some of us run businesses and have websites set up already.  Some guys try to make a little extra coin by selling repop parts for our beloved machines.  Why not use the website that's already up and running?

makes sense -  i have reached out to them - awaiting response

Jeff-C175
38 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

reached out to them

I believe he's still an active seller on ebay as well.  Check there, you might find what you need...?

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

will check ebay  - - have not used that much but i need to remember to do so - - i have a few other sites i use but am broadening my reach to to others as i get more committed to the WH projects

JCM

@Brockport Bill Here are some pictures of some wheels that I have recently repainted. Usually wash them and remove any grease, use a drill with a wire wheel and hand sand. Right before priming use a wax and grease remover from an auto body supplier. Then use the deck of card trick between rim and tire and plastic, newspaper or blue painters tape on the tire for over spray. Once you get good at it you may not need to cover the tire but probably not a bad idea. Then 2 coats of rustoleum rusty metal primer and two coats of the finish color of your choice. Everyone has their favorite method but this has always worked well for me.My tractors I do not consider show tractors but just clean well maintained workers, all of them. On the 418-A rear rims and side covers only, have not got to the fronts yet.

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

DSCN0104.JPG

DSCN0102.JPG

DSCN0125.JPG

P1012666.JPG

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

wow - wonderful results - thanks for your experience -- i was sorta thinking along those lines - wasn't sure how much effort to navigate the rims with grinder wheel on the 90 degree angle grinder, or using my drill motor -- wanted to avoid the hand sanding as much as possible -- the advice for the cleaning is very helpful as well as the primer - which i did buy the Rust Reformer - plus advice to do 2 coats of final color - mine are not actually as rusted as those were so hopefully they will have good end result - hope to get some warmer temps so i can do the spray out doors -- want to avoid the  toxic spray paint exposure so want to avoid indoor garage - I did just buy a respirator so hopefully in coming weeks can get progress - don't want to wait till spring because that's when i use the WH so often - a few times per week -- plus i take it to my daughters to get her spring yard projects going -- thanks againthumbnail?appid=aolwebmail&size=400w

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

Inked20210115_221229-1_LI.jpg.88483d7cc8fb738ff2c25f84b40d626e.jpg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

20210119_170055(1).jpg

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

20210119_170055.jpg

20210118_204816.jpg

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

not sure where to post this  but its photo of my 1989 brochure when i bought my 312-8 new WH was proud of their paint

20210305_000040.jpg.08273e3ca87084854e3260b8f8337b7a.jpg

Lee1977

Don't know why but there power paint don't always adhere to the edges and then rust there and comes off as it rust up under the paint. I wonder it the edges has an onsite charge from the flat surface.