Brockport Bill

Wheel Horse Red paint color match???

Brockport Bill

I have had a 1989, 312-8 as original owner -- How do I purchase the proper RED matching paint color - thanks -- new to forum

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

This thread may help...

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs: Bill.          Paint preference is like .... well you know, everyone has one.       Being a rattle canner, I vote for Rustoleum  Regal Red.

• Like 7

rmaynard

...and me being an HVLP sprayer, I prefer Wheel Horse red from PPG AutoPaint.

Pullstart

... and sometimes I’m green with envy...

67388F9D-659D-40AF-A2E3-F9D1B7DAF636.jpeg

23CE8185-1DBD-4F89-BCB3-61E69EE4F6DB.jpeg

• Heart 3

520HC

And I vote for rustoleum Case IH red

0128181549.jpg

• Like 1

oldredrider

Confused yet?  :ROTF:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

clueless

The original paint color for your 1989 WH is still available in a spray can, Toro: 361-10 new red. It's a little expensive but is an exact match unless you tractor color has faded, It's actually good paint, great for touch ups but if your going for complete repaint it can be a little expensive or not, it's just about how much are you willing to spend and how good you are with prep work and painting with a rattle can. If your going to use a spray gun I suggest buying a can then spraying some on some cardboard the taking it to a local body shop to see if they can match it.

• Like 3

Achto
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

Confused yet?  

:text-yeahthat::ROTF:

:WRS:

My preference is VanSickle International Harvester red. If you are doing a complete restoration color, is more like throwing horse shoes than darts. Close is good enough, no one will poo poo you for not having an exact match.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3

BeninCT
1 hour ago, clueless said:

The original paint color for your 1989 WH is still available in a spray can, Toro: 361-10 new red. It's a little expensive but is an exact match unless you tractor color has faded, It's actually good paint, great for touch ups but if your going for complete repaint it can be a little expensive or not, it's just about how much are you willing to spend and how good you are with prep work and painting with a rattle can. If your going to use a spray gun I suggest buying a can then spraying some on some cardboard the taking it to a local body shop to see if they can match it.

Quick google of that name has it available via Home Cheapot as well as at Toro dealers.  Surprised at this thanks!

• Like 4

clueless
15 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Quick google of that name has it available via Home Cheapot as well as at Toro dealers.  Surprised at this thanks!

Like I said it's actually good paint for a spray can, has a hardener in it, drys fast and is very durable compared to most spray paint I've used even Rust Oleum. Like I said if the tractor that old has been left out in the sun much the original paint can be faded. Buy a can and do a little test spray first.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill

since 1989 never left outdoors -- always in shed - -but  over time been used outdoors lots of days in adverse sun, snow, etc - so yes, certainly some fading -- i actually have a few implement attachment piecess like the pulley guard for my tiller that still looks new -- so i have a sample of what new looks like -- and it certainly looks lots better than my tractor paint

• Like 2

cschannuth
2 hours ago, BeninCT said:

I’ve used it before to do a touchup on a late model, 20-year-old mower deck and it matched perfectly.

• Like 1

rlrnot

Sherwin Williams may be able to color match it.  Take your implement part in that is not faded and they can possibly computer match it.

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, rlrnot said:

Sherwin Williams may be able to color match it.  Take your implement part in that is not faded and they can possibly computer match it.

wow - you have esp - -  I was at sherwin williams this afternoon and that's exactly what he did -- scanned a pulley guard that i have for my tiller, which is in excellent condition, and came up with a recommendation of a Ace color match "Smoked Paprica" - - so Wednesday I am going to an Ace  -- however, Sherwin Williams guy gave me a spray can named Krylon - color Osha - - the can cap is near match to the Toro 361-10 noted by others - i have stripped the underneath of my mower deck  with my angle grinder down to bare metal so i plan to paint underneath with a few different red paints mentioned on forum and see which looks best -- thanks for the help, Bill

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

Krylon dries fast but is not as tough and hard when dry as other spray paints. Very easy to scratch. 

WHX??

Been said many times here Bill. Painting a horse is alot like throwing hand grenades just get it close and RED

Personally I am done with rattle canning with Rust Oleum. Seems like I get half the can out and the rest won't come out and end up tossing it.  Appears that it plugs up down inside the can. Just bought a tall can of rusty metal primer ... 20% more in can....never got the extra out! Sucks when it happens and you can't finish the job!  :angry-banghead:What's worse is I can only find self etching in Rust olem around here! 

Never have this problem with Ace labeled cans... ok thanks for letting me vent! :soapbox:

I have used this with good results on just a quicky job for a red color. Dries fast but not real scratch resistant. Comes in a tall can. 

711fbcec-d178-4747-bdeb-5907188f391f_1.e874573e9980adbd9c05e680fc0cda95.jpeg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

WHX??

My bad

:WRS: @Brockport Bill

JCM

@Brockport Bill Congrats on holding on to the 312-8 and   :text-welcomeconfetti:.  I also have a 89 since new. The first pic here was a resto I did on a 1986 312 and used the Toro paint you mentioned and had great results, that was 20 years ago and since sold to a friend . The second pic is my 312 when new and the last was taken this past summer.I have been using Rustoleum Regal Red on recent projects with great results also. just a little darker than the Toro Red.   Good luck on your project.

img20200728_11244120.jpg

img20200728_10584367.jpg

IMG_0063.JPG

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

few different red paints mentioned on forum and see which looks best -- thanks for the help, Bill

Keep us posted on the results...

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
On 1/13/2021 at 2:39 PM, JCM said:

@Brockport Bill Congrats on holding on to the 312-8 and   :text-welcomeconfetti:.  I also have a 89 since new. The first pic here was a resto I did on a 1986 312 and used the Toro paint you mentioned and had great results, that was 20 years ago and since sold to a friend . The second pic is my 312 when new and the last was taken this past summer.I have been using Rustoleum Regal Red on recent projects with great results also. just a little darker than the Toro Red.   Good luck on your project.

img20200728_11244120.jpg

img20200728_10584367.jpg

IMG_0063.JPG

yikes those reds are beautiful --- I actually talked to an auto body place today just to explore ideas -- but i also had my order of 4 different red spray paint can colors arrive today - -so i will test them each on the bare underneath of my shiny clean mower deck to see which color looks best and i like -- then i have to decide if i plan to do piecemeal, or maybe take sections to auto body ( if not having to pay a fortune) -- i am NOT looking for full restore - just maybe the deck and hood, seat fenders, and foot rests, side panels ? Still considering options but the info here is awesome -- thanks

• Like 1

Brockport Bill
On 1/13/2021 at 10:06 AM, WHX24 said:

Been said many times here Bill. Painting a horse is alot like throwing hand grenades just get it close and RED

Personally I am done with rattle canning with Rust Oleum. Seems like I get half the can out and the rest won't come out and end up tossing it.  Appears that it plugs up down inside the can. Just bought a tall can of rusty metal primer ... 20% more in can....never got the extra out! Sucks when it happens and you can't finish the job!  :angry-banghead:What's worse is I can only find self etching in Rust olem around here! 

Never have this problem with Ace labeled cans... ok thanks for letting me vent! :soapbox:

I have used this with good results on just a quicky job for a red color. Dries fast but not real scratch resistant. Comes in a tall can. 

711fbcec-d178-4747-bdeb-5907188f391f_1.e874573e9980adbd9c05e680fc0cda95.jpeg

i had cans of Rust-oleum Sunrise Red and Krylon IH Red High Gloss arrive today -- awaiting two more different color cans i ordered - i have used angle grinder to clean to bare metal the underneath of mower  -- so will test each color to see how each looks - -waiting for warmer temps in upstate NY to apply my test colors - -hoping for 45-50 degree day -- put end of January looks like 20's - don't want to do in the garage - thanks for insights

Brockport Bill

where do you get those rubber foot rest mats??

Brockport Bill

had cans of Rust-oleum Sunrise Red and Krylon IH Red High Gloss arrive today -- awaiting two more different color cans i ordered - i have used angle grinder to clean to bare metal the underneath of mower  -- so will test each color to see how each looks - -waiting for warmer temps in upstate NY to apply my test colors - -hoping for 45-50 degree day -- put end of January looks like 20's - don't want to do in the garage - thanks for insights

• Like 1