pfrederi

New Vehicle Technology

pfrederi

So whilst watching commercials on TV yesterday (which I might add were rudely interrupted on occasion by pictures of big guys running around a green field playing with a ball) I learned that the new Ford F-150 will self update.... That is such great news.  Now my truck can be just my like my computer.  When I go to start the truck it will tell me it is busy downloading updates, do not use.  Then after watching the dash display work its way up to 100% downloaded it will say now installing the updates.  Another period of watching the percentages increase and then ...maybe... just maybe I will be allowed to start it and drive off.  Great progress

image022.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 2

JoeM

E. if you own one of those dangle things that lets you hover suspended over the engine cause you cant lean on the thin metal fenders or plastic grill!

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, squonk said:

D. If you can afford them.

dodge 5.7 Hemi has 16 iridium  sparkplugs...you should see the look on the on the face of a owner who did not know this and you tell them the price

:banana-wrench::banana-wrench::banana-wrench:

• Like 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, 305 said:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :banana-wrench:

• Like 1

peter lena

SCARY , THAT BY 2035 , just about everything transportation related , will be battery run , just the way it is , pete

• Sad 2

ZXT
10 minutes ago, peter lena said:

SCARY , THAT BY 2035 , just about everything transportation related , will be battery run , just the way it is , pete

That'll be a sad day for sure. 

21 minutes ago, 305 said:

If they have an issue spending $70 on spark plugs once every 100k miles they might should get a Honda :lol:

• Like 2

WHNJ701
46 minutes ago, peter lena said:

It's not scary you just have accept it, technology is moving forward and fast.  I am not against it.  I am sure all the wagon people got all freaked out when the model t came out.  Sadly it will be the end it will be the end the gas engine.  I am sure the powers in charge will tax gasoline til it's unaffordable and or make illegal or restrict carburetor parts sales in the future.  

• Like 2

1995 520H+96+97

I am still waiting for the metric system we were told in 1971.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

ZXT
15 minutes ago, jabelman said:

It's not scary you just have accept it, technology is moving forward and fast.  I am not against it.  I am sure all the wagon people got all freaked out when the model t came out.  Sadly it will be the end it will be the end the gas engine.  I am sure the powers in charge will tax gasoline til it's unaffordable and or make illegal or restrict carburetor parts sales in the future.  

Well, it's scary for me because pretty much all of my hobbies revolve around gas engines. It'll kill WH's, it'll kill my classic cars, and then I'll have nothing to do but sit and stare at a wall. Fun. I'll have to take up knitting or stamp collecting I suppose. 

The additional taxing of gas has already started, I heard yesterday ( i need to research it, could be bogus) that there will be a $.30 additional tax added to gas in Washington. 

Edited by ZXT
  • Sad 1

lynnmor

Since electric  cars have been around for well over a century, I wouldn't call it technology.  Click thru this website.

One might not be so accepting if he lived within 25 miles of 2 nuclear, 4 hydro, 2 coal, 1 fuel oil, 1 natural gas and 2 waste burners.  Then add the lost property tax revenue from 100% of riverfront property taken by power companies.  Now how about all those power lines and pipe lines crossing in all directions to feed that power to places like New Jersey.  People only think of their own small world and have no clue what the total picture looks like.

• Like 1

ZXT
50 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Since electric  cars have been around for well over a century, I wouldn't call it technology.  Click thru this website.

One might not be so accepting if he lived within 25 miles of 2 nuclear, 4 hydro, 2 coal, 1 fuel oil, 1 natural gas and 2 waste burners.  Then add the lost property tax revenue from 100% of riverfront property taken by power companies.  Now how about all those power lines and pipe lines crossing in all directions to feed that power to places like New Jersey.  People only think of their own small world and have no clue what the total picture looks like.

Yep, there is always more than what appears on the surface. The lithium used in the batteries of EVs is one of those things. It's extremely hazardous to the people mining it (If you look around, you'll find some of the effects of it. You'll also find pictures of forced child labor mining it with no PPE), and it's horrible on the ecosystem surrounding the mines. 

wallfish
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

just maybe I will be allowed to start it and drive off

Maybe is right, seems like every update to the newest software revision on anything always has it's bugs and problems. Just hope it's not the "fly by wire" system on the vehicle with the bug after it does start. 

WHNJ701
4 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Maybe is right, seems like every update to the newest software revision on anything always has it's bugs and problems. Just hope it's not the "fly by wire" system on the vehicle with the bug after it does start. 

Hasn't chevy been doing this with the canyon/colorado trucks.  I pretty sure my friends chevy he has to update software/diagnostics

Edited by jabelman

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

It isn't, we can't run the world on electric and lithium alone, we are all ready running out off lithium on this planet,

I think it is going to be a combination between electric, hydro and bio-fuels.

I don't see, them huge ships getting electrified, rather nuclear i think.

But hole this electric stuff is getting my scared for sure

Stormin
2 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

You don't want it. We've got now instead of pounds, shillings and pence. Just a big con.

• Thanks 1

8ntruck
3 hours ago, 305 said:

Tell me about that.  I just had mine replaced.  :jaw:$$$$$$$$$

Sparky
2 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

We are about half metric now aren’t we.
 I can’t keep track of my 10 mill sockets whereabouts :lol: 

• Haha 1

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Tell me about that.  I just had mine replaced.  :jaw:$$$$$$$$$

You think that is bad, wait till the cam and lifters croak. 

8ntruck
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

Yup.

In reality, I could get along just fine with a battery powered car in daily use.  However, we do enough long distance travel where the current battery technology won't have the range or the rapid recharge capability to do what we want to do.

The current price of the electric vehicle is hard to swallow as well.

8ntruck

One of my pet peeves is that electric vehicles are claimed to be pollution free.

They are not.  Unless they are recharged with wind, hydro, solar, or geothermal generated electricity, they are burning coal, oil, or natural gas.

The lithium, and rare earth elements used in them have their own waste streams and energy needs for their production.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

C-85

I couldn't agree more 8NTRUCK!  I think it's the Nissan Leaf that has this on it's trunk 'zero emission vehicle,' or some such thing, and I feel this is misleading. :angry-tappingfoot: Where does everyone think the electricity for these comes from!  As stated, unless the juice is from the sun, or water, it's likely coming from fossil fuel.  I didn't know about the problems with the lithium batteries, so this is good to know.  I'd like to know, if we all started driving electric vehicles if there would be enough electricity and electricity infrastructure to power them!

In the meantime I think I'll stick to my own 'multi fuel'l vehicle!

C-85

1222163960_M35atAllenHalls6-14-19.JPG.7047c6329b2f6022866f42b527f2adcb.JPG

• Like 4

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

One of my pet peeves is that electric vehicles are claimed to be pollution free.

They are not.  Unless they are recharged with wind, hydro, solar, or geothermal generated electricity, they are burning coal, oil, or natural gas.

The lithium, and rare earth elements used in them have their own waste streams and energy needs for their production.

I read an article about electric cars...

Said by the time you add in all the polluting that building an electric vehicle causes, it's created the same amount of pollution as a gasoline vehicle being driven 40,000 miles...

• Like 2

bc.gold
5 hours ago, 1995 520H+96+97 said:

Watch what you wish for, we went metric as you can see from the Imperial conversion we lost, you would have on the other hand had a gain.

spacer.png

spacer.png