eddiebunyan

Transaxle fluid

eddiebunyan

I have a auto18. The bull gear lost a bolt ending up under the gear and blowing a hole through the case! I took it apart,fixed it and reinstalled.I went to napa to get dextrose fluid and was told they don't sell straight dextron anymore.They sell a dextron/ mercrn mix now that takes place of both fluids.So I put that in,and when it warms up I start s lipping and finally I have no pressure in either the drive or the lift systems.It sounds like the fluid is bypassing the check valves! B efore I rebuilt the transaxle I had no problems.The only thing I can think off that I never had to do before was opening the by pass valve in order to push it into the garage.I have a old mustang and can remember years ago that you had to use dextron in the gym products and merchandise or ford in the ford cars.Youcould not mix the two,b excuse the mercy on was a thinner oil than the dextron!

I'm  wondering if this could be my problem and if anyone else has experienced this? I  should mention that I. Can go out now start it and it runs fine till it gets hot,My temp gage doesn't work so I can't really tell how hot the fluid is actually getting.

ebinmaine

Eddie the  old school Type A/Dexron. NAPA part number is 75 - 200. Westbrook (warehouse) has it. 

• Like 1

daveoman1966

The symptoms you describe...loss of power after warm-up...is indicative of internal damage to the hyd motor and/or hyd pump.  Maybe when the bolt blew a hole in the trans case, there was enough steel particles to get sucked into the pump, damaging the soft brass internal parts by scratching or scoring machined surfaces.  Your comment that all was good before the bolt damage, but not after...supports my theory of internal pump damage.  If that's the case, oil and filter change won't cure the patient. The cure is to remove BOTH the hyd pump and motor and refurbish the internals.  The tuffest part of that is just getting the hyd pump off of the tractor.  I can provide pics and a narrative of what/how to do this if my diagnosis proves accurate. Another thought...the 18 Auto is a 1973 issue..  pushing 50 years old and we all need rebuilds at some point.  Email direct to me at:  daveoman@windstream.net   

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, daveoman1966 said:

pushing 50 years old and we all need rebuilds at some point

I can vouch for that having turned 50 last month.  

• Like 1

eddiebunyan

Eric,I had seen that napa somewhere else and when I was at naps I had the guy look it up and he took me to where they kept the trans fluids and said there it is right there,I looked at it and sure enough it was a quart of dextron/mercroon mix,the guy told me that was the correct number and said they no longer sell straight destroy!   SO I it is or is not ok to use a dextron/micron mix in the transaxle???   Dave,that is not what I wanted to hear! The minute the case blew I shut it off and moved the tractor five feet where I took the plug off and let it drain for three days,hoping to avoid any metal from getting inside the system.When I took the transaxle and pump off I meticulously cleaned everything hoping to rid the transaxle of all debries.O ne problem I did encounter is when I replaced the spindle bearing where the pump is.Even though it has the same number as the other needle bearings it is too long but didn't figure that out till the motor was on,transaxle in and  she leaked fluid from the pump face.the bolts were tight but couldn't take up the extra eight of an inch longer than the bearing was.Could I have damaged the motor at that point?Took the motor off,replaced with correct size needle bearing and ran the tractor now with no leaks!I changed the filter after about ten minutes of running hoping to trap any metal that I might have mst.Thanks for your offer and I will take you up on it.Right now I don't have heat (Maine winters) nor room in my garage to work on her,but I love her,she's a brute and although I'm older then her she's in much better shape then me!

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, eddiebunyan said:

no longer sell straight

@squonk Mike and some other parts guys may be able to weigh in on this. I'm a trucker now but I've got 12 years in auto parts that started in 1992 and I've never Ever seen straight Dexron or straight Type A in the aftermarket.

The way I understand it is that the part number that I gave you is the one that's compatible with the sixties and seventies vintage vehicles that used EITHER Ford type A OR GM Dexron ATF. 

Other fluids from other manufacturers both foreign and domestic were different.......

squonk

Napa Dex/Merc #75-200 is the oil to use

• Excellent 1