Crmaverick

B60 8 speed transmission swap to 753 questions

Crmaverick

I picked up this B60 and want to swap in the 8 speed to my 753 that’s starting to pop out of third. I have a spare 3 speed I could put in it to, but I could use the 8 speed for plowing, dozing, and garden plowing in my 753. The motor would be a good spare for my 704. Is there a write up on this swap? Any thoughts? I feel kind of guilty parting out this nice B60. One owner it’s whole life until two years ago and all original, minus a quicky paint job at some point, and a seat. 

7B032C62-623B-4C47-B250-805AFACF788F.jpeg

59917A16-5325-434A-81B1-97832EE29AB8.jpeg

5C5E3DC7-72F9-40D9-971C-8AAAB31465BB.jpeg

CF310E95-63A0-4F4F-B3E8-81FB1EA9FBC5.jpeg

9326A2D6-C96D-46CB-B802-86C579D8D105.jpeg

Edited by Crmaverick
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

The low range is really only used with snow blowers and tillers. Also when I put my grandson on it and walk beside, but other than that, I don't see a benefit to the swap unless it has Inch and an eighth axles. 

Randy

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Crmaverick said:

plowing, dozing, and garden plowing

All require high range. 

Having an 8 speed would be of no benefit. 

Pop a 3 speed in the 753 and keep the B60. 

• Like 2

Crmaverick
22 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

The low range is really only used with snow blowers and tillers. Also when I put my grandson on it and walk beside, but other than that, I don't see a benefit to the swap unless it has Inch and an eighth axles. 

Randy

It does have the inch and eighth axles, 8 pinion diff 

when would this be superior or needed over 1 inch axles? 

Edited by Crmaverick

RandyLittrell

Not sure about needed, but it would be superior! 

It's always your tractor, and you do what you want, I know I always do!

I am a cheapskate and have parted things that other might not have, but if nobody parted tractors, we would have no parts!! 

Randy

• Like 2

Pullstart

I love my round hood with an 8 speed.  It doesn’t take a ton of work, but you may need to be crafty fitting your parking brake back together.  Other than trimming for the hi-low shifter and shortening the dipstick, it’s a pretty straight forward swap.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I would say though, a B60 is somewhat rare and I’d love to have one some day!

Crmaverick
20 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I love my round hood with an 8 speed.  It doesn’t take a ton of work, but you may need to be crafty fitting your parking brake back together.  Other than trimming for the hi-low shifter and shortening the dipstick, it’s a pretty straight forward swap.

Are you able to do anything with it easier or that you couldn’t with the 3 speed? I’m mainly looking to plow snow, grade dirt, and use a brinly garden plow with mine. Is a B60 the same size and frame as the C160? It looks like a big tractor, looked smaller in pictures 

Pullstart

I am almost positive it’s the same size.  The B and C series were identical frames as far as I know, just some standard options on the C were an upgrade option on the B series.

As far as what I use low range for?  Kids riding, tilling the garden, slow races with the kids...  it doesn’t sound like you NEED the low range, but the stronger axles might benefit you.

• Like 1

Crmaverick
22 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I am almost positive it’s the same size.  The B and C series were identical frames as far as I know, just some standard options on the C were an upgrade option on the B series.

As far as what I use low range for?  Kids riding, tilling the garden, slow races with the kids...  it doesn’t sound like you NEED the low range, but the stronger axles might benefit you.

I’m planning to try and drag this big brinly plow, with plenty of weight all around. Maybe the bigger axles would be a good idea for that? 

9CBAC942-FBF2-46F2-890B-DA4126B871BA.jpeg

1B9862C9-2511-4575-8CEF-038F94E58DC7.jpeg

• Like 1

R. L. Addison

There are several differences between the B & C series machines That 1 & 1/8 " inch axle is NOT part of a B series tractor, that is from a C series. Try picking up that plow with a short frame stock B series, my bet is you will not be able to steer without the front wheels sliding a lot of the time due partially to the short wheel base (frame). 22x7.50x12 tires also leave something to be desired on a B series. If you have the big axles, you do NOT have a B series (maybe not a C too). I would do some double checking before buying any parts by number to see what you have. Repainted maybe with B series decals? Great tractors, Had them since 1965 and many attachments & no disappointments so far. 

Ron

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

There are several differences between the B & C series machines That 1 & 1/8 " inch axle is NOT part of a B series tractor, that is from a C series. Try picking up that plow with a short frame stock B series, my bet is you will not be able to steer without the front wheels sliding a lot of the time due partially to the short wheel base (frame). 22x7.50x12 tires also leave something to be desired on a B series. If you have the big axles, you do NOT have a B series (maybe not a C too). I would do some double checking before buying any parts by number to see what you have. Repainted maybe with B series decals? Great tractors, Had them since 1965 and many attachments & no disappointments so far. 

Ron

Ron is correct for 1974 and 1975. In 1976 and 1977 B and C had the same frame length. 

@pullstart Kevin is correct on the options for 76 and 7. 

He's also correct that a B60 is NOT a common tractor. 

For your usage an 8 speed would be of no benefit. 

The low range divides the tractor speed by about 4. 

You'd need high range for your desired application. 

I've personally tried putting an 8 speed where a 3 or 6 was. The brake drum is in a different location. It can be made to work with proper linkage being fabbed up. Neither tractor's stock linkage will work. 

I do NOT advise plowing snow with a tractor that was adapted over from 3/6 speed to 4/8 speed of you do alot of back and forth while plowing. 

Mine ate belts because the lineup is very tough to get just right. 

I have a B80 with a 4 speed. I've REALLY put it to work hauling heavy loads and plowing. 

The 1" axles don't scare me a bit. 

For plowing ground there's a great thread (many really) that our plow dogs could share. 

• Like 2

71_Bronco

I put an 8 speed into my Commando 8. I found a loose 5060 transmission, which has the 1-1/8" axles, limited slip differential, and the brake in the same spot as the old 3-speed.

Since my brake was in the same spot, it was pretty much a direct swap, and didn't have any major modifications to do.

I did pull the 8 speed apart prior to putting it in though as someone had been in there prior and had the wrong axles in it. Luckily all my bearings and seals were good as well.

As others stated, the 8 speed probably won't benefit you greatly. I did my swap just for fun, and because I just happened to find the perfect transmission that wouldn't require modification of the brake linkages.

Ultimately, its your tractors, and your choice. I think you did the right thing though posting and getting some feedback prior. Good luck :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
48 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

8 speed into my Commando 8. I found a loose 5060 transmission, which has the 1-1/8" axles, limited slip differential, and the brake in the same spot as the old 3-speed

Yours is a 6 speed which is a direct swap other than cutting a place for the high low shifter. 

That brake location is a game changer IMHO. 

Pullstart

I carry a 10” Brinly with my 502 just fine, but have a front hanging weight and loaded front tires.  

A3FE7F9E-03C1-4824-A5C6-E30F1EDF4395.jpeg

A80C026B-0249-439C-BE0E-DE915AEAF255.jpeg

B97A6B04-DA1A-4D06-B008-26F394DCEC49.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I do NOT advise plowing snow with a tractor that was adapted over from 3/6 speed to 4/8 speed of you do alot of back and forth while plowing. 

Maybe I lucked out, I never had any belt issues with Putt Putt from swapping the 8 speed in.  @Crmaverick you will need to swap the trans. pulley too, as your 753 has a small set.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Maybe I lucked out, I never had any belt issues with Putt Putt from swapping the 8 speed in.  @Crmaverick you will need to swap the trans. pulley too, as your 753 has a small set.  

Have you tried plowing snow and switching forward/reverse several hundred times in the course of a couple hours?

Other than that it was fine...

It went through 4 or 5 belts in about 3 months. 

pfrederi
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Have you tried plowing snow and switching forward/reverse several hundred times in the course of a couple hours?

Other than that it was fine...

It went through 4 or 5 belts in about 3 months. 

Can you spell HYDRO!!!!  :P

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Lee1977

Looks like you have a good tractor I would just put a larger engine in it and use it. 

ebinmaine
Just now, pfrederi said:

Can you spell HYDRO!!!!  :P

Spell it I can. Use one.... Well ya know.... Soon... 

• Like 2

Crmaverick

I just measured the axle in the center of the hub and did confirm it’s the 1 1/8” axles

Seems like these later B series are the same as a C series, same frame and transmission, with the only difference being engine size and tire size apparently? 

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, Crmaverick said:

I just measured the axle in the center of the hub and did confirm it’s the 1 1/8” axles

Seems like these later B series are the same as a C series, same frame and transmission, with the only difference being engine size and tire size apparently? 

Many engine sizes were the same, it was creature comforts like lights, cigarette lighters, etc.

tom2p
12 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Randy

agree - but I have found one other use ...

I often use low range when I back into a difficult / tight spot in the garage 

tests the patience (lol) - but the snails pace can help 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Lee1977
13 minutes ago, Crmaverick said:

It has to be a 1976 or 1977 they were only built with a 8 speed those years. If the model number staets with a 61 it's a 1976  and 71 it's a 1977

The main difference was no lights or charging system for electric start. I just checked the frame number and it's the same as my 1977 C-120.

You have the biggest part of the best Tractor Wheel Horse ever made.  

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

tom2p
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Spell it I can. Use one.... Well ya know.... Soon... 

my dad would say

'can you spell shovel'  

too much clutch and gear changes  ! 

lol

• Like 2