haydendavid380

Skinny wheels

haydendavid380

I'm wanting to put a set of front tri-ribs on a couple of my tractors. I assume I'm going to need some skinnier wheels. 

Which ones of the older models came with them? 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Most anything from the 60s. 

I have a set on a 1970 Charger that I assume are original. 

Not sure what year after that they got a little wider. My 74s do have the next size up. 

• Like 1

Achto
12 hours ago, haydendavid380 said:

Which ones of the older models came with them? 

My 1076 has 4.00/4.80-8 Dee Stone's mounted on the stock rims. The original tires were 16-5.50x8's

gallery_14491_636_9513.jpggallery_14491_636_5656.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Dan and I were just talking about this the other day on the price of the Dee tri ribs in 4/8 and how they make a nice tire for the money. 

Both my plow mules have them on stock rims and they perform well. A pair can be had for 50 -60 bucks. 

In the little more pricey category the Firestones (last pic) are real nice if you can get over the cost. 70-80 clams a piece. Definitely a beefy tire and better suited to heavier tractors. They have a very pronounced center rib and that's all that hits the ground unless soft dirt. They steer like a dream because of this. This tractor is my first love so no expense spared on her shoes. If I won the lottery all my tractors and a bunch of other fellas tractors here  would be sporting these. I think these measure in at 16.5/8

20190921_192712.jpg

20180627_201136.jpg.287a5da2c6922fea40f93cf1add04699.jpg

20170822_121032.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Lane Ranger

Another alternative is skinnier tires!  I put these 3.50x8 Deestone on an RJ.  I wanted to see how well they would look. 

I think they are good looking!

yes a smaller profile than the 4 x 8 tires.

last pic has 4x8 tritium next to 3.50x8 tritium!

2DAA8C97-A962-46E5-B588-569A9704B1A3.jpeg

E8FDFDA1-9FBB-4F71-918C-55547F2983BD.jpeg

BE6EC2CA-58A1-4CB2-A937-1F77F3A0E6D3.jpeg

E77F8B46-30A7-4752-833D-B99165B3EEC7.jpeg

B539CB6A-3136-4F6B-ADBF-6440F1983897.jpegimage.jpeg.27708a5fe937f58824b4fcf0cd30e1a6.jpeg

Edited by Lane Ranger
Added pic
  • Like 5

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

If I won the lottery all my tractors and a bunch of other fellas tractors here  would be sporting these.

Front and rear, nothing better looking than Firestones! They perform well too!! 

For example    @prondzy   

Randy

20160504_195859.jpg.5711504e850b809d143d8fadb5de44dc.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

haydendavid380

Those Firestones are nice. I had been looking at the Dee's. As long as there is an actual performance difference, I don't mind the price. 

These are what is on it now. Planning on stripping down the wheels and giving them a nice new coat of ivory.

20210102_175705.jpg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Just putting this out there, if you go HF, TSC, Northern Tool or the likes they have brand new complete with 5/8"-3/4" bearings "lawn cart" wheel and tire combos in 4/4.80-8 size albeit "wheel barrow" style tires for about $25-30 each, although I don't exactly what the wheel hub length is, one could get these then add a pair of the Deestone TriRibs and a complete set of brand new wheels and tires :eusa-think:... https://www.harborfreight.com/replacement-cart-tire-and-wheel-56181.html... Thought about these for my CC126 restore.

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
6 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Just putting this out there, if you go HF, TSC, Northern Tool or the likes they have brand new complete with 5/8"-3/4" bearings "lawn cart" wheel and tire combos in 4/4.80-8 size albeit "wheel barrow" style tires for about $25-30 each, although I don't exactly what the wheel hub length is, one could get these then add a pair of the Deestone TriRibs and a complete set of brand new wheels and tires :eusa-think:... https://www.harborfreight.com/replacement-cart-tire-and-wheel-56181.html... Thought about these for my CC126 restore.

I don't know if they are all the same, but I have some of those I put on a puller with some tri ribs because they are lighter in weight than OEM wheels. The one's I have wouldn't stand up to garden tractor use. Other people's mileage may vary! 

Randy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

haydendavid380
25 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

There's a coupon out too 🤔

Screenshot_20210101-083334_Chrome.jpg

• Haha 1

WHX??
17 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

"lawn cart" wheel and tire combos in 4/4.80-8 size albeit "wheel barrow" style tires 

:text-imsorry:Billy... I know we're bros  but wheelbarrow tires or even rims on a horse!?!? Really? Surely you jest!  :ychain:

You got me lost Randy lighter rims on a puller?? 

Got a point ther on the rims tho Jeff ... what tractors are you lookin to put them on David ?

haydendavid380

B-80 and a 312.

The B-80 is my plow tractor and I'm thinking a thinner rib might help with turning. The 312 I just want to get rid of the hideous 6" wheels. 

• Like 1

WHX??
9 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

B-80 and a 312.

The B-80 is my plow tractor and I'm thinking a thinner rib might help with turning. The 312 I just want to get rid of the hideous 6" wheels. 

By plow do you mean front blade or furrow? Hear ya on the six fronts tho. Lots of guys her ditched  those to go to 8's but not sure what tire size they went to keep the tractor somewhat  level? 

WVHillbilly520H
17 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

:text-imsorry:Billy... I know we're bros  but wheelbarrow tires or even rims on a horse!?!? Really? Surely you jest!  :ychain:

Got a point ther on the rims tho Jeff ... what tractors are you lookin to put them on David ?

Did you see the other wheels I linked?  

1 minute ago, WHX24 said:

not sure what tire size they went to keep the tractor somewhat  level? 

Need to change to the spindles for 8s.

• Like 1

WHX??

Yes I did now Billy.... just gotta busty yer stones tho....:lol:

• Haha 1

haydendavid380

Front blade.

Or at least that's its current main role. I have a slot hitch and cultivator for it that I'm still needing a lift kit and the motivation to beat the old hitch pin out. 

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell
26 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

You remove all the weight you can and put it back where you want it. 

Randy

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, WHX24 said:

Yes I did now Billy.... just gotta busty yer stones tho....:lol:

Its all good, and honestly for cheap wheels that aren't all rusted out, I have handled a few while pursuing the local HF didn't seem to bad with a load rating of 365# each, but as Randy said they may not hold up under actually "tractor" use IDK, maybe for a show ride?

RandyLittrell
12 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Hear ya on the six fronts tho. Lots of guys her ditched  those to go to 8's but not sure what tire size they went to keep the tractor somewhat  level? 

The stock size on the 310 and 312's were 15x6.50-6. You can go to 8" wheels and use these tires to keep the same height. 

https://smile.amazon.com/MaxAuto-15x6-50-8-15x6-50x8-Tractor-Riding/dp/B08FFH3DVX/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1DOJUA0U2EHAM&dchild=1&keywords=15x6.50-8+lawn+mower+tires&qid=1609636491&sprefix=15x6.50%2Caps%2C202&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVjVLQjJYNElVTklMJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU4NjUwMk1RM1VEWkdETVFLMyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTU5NzYxSVpDMDNTVzQ2S01DJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Randy

haydendavid380

RandyLittrell
1 minute ago, haydendavid380 said:

I'm already running bigger tires on the rear. I figured the 8's would level it out. 

It might, the height is dependent on tire size not strictly wheel size. Rear tires vary greatly on advertised size to actual size, best to put a tape measure to them to know for sure. Deestones tires are notoriously small versus size printed on the tire. 

Even mowing, I don't think it will make a big difference other than I hear some decks won't clear the 8" combo put on the bigger tractors. 

Randy

haydendavid380
1 minute ago, RandyLittrell said:

It might, the height is dependent on tire size not strictly wheel size. Rear tires vary greatly on advertised size to actual size, best to put a tape measure to them to know for sure. Deestones tires are notoriously small versus size printed on the tire. 

Even mowing, I don't think it will make a big difference other than I hear some decks won't clear the 8" combo put on the bigger tractors. 

Randy

I thought it was the 30-something decks because the triangle arrangement of the blades made them too long front to back to fit in.

I'm running a 42".

RandyLittrell
8 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

I thought it was the 30-something decks because the triangle arrangement of the blades made them too long front to back to fit in.

I'm running a 42".

I do believe your are right, but I wouldn't put any money on my memory! 

Randy

• Haha 1

WVHillbilly520H
26 minutes ago, haydendavid380 said:

I'm running a 42".

The 37" cut deck.