Ed Kennell

Wood burners reminder

Pullstart

Yes indeed!  I used to scrub the chimney once a month at the old place, for the sake of doing so.  We heated almost exclusively with wood and occasionally got some that was wetter than it should have been.  Now we have the outdoor wood boiler, it stays hot enough to clean itself :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 5

ebinmaine

Well done sir. Thank you. 

We checked and cleaned ours about 8 weeks ago and again this past weekend. 

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Excellent reminder!

image.jpeg.eb41f083396d9cfe0f0d1aa84fcfe498.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

roadapples

Years ago when I started burning wood my Dad told me to open the damper and vent every mourning and let her roar for about three minutes. In eleven years I never had to clean that chimney. I checked it regularly and there was never any build up....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

You still up partying at 2AM  Jay   ???

• Haha 3

squonk

Up only once? I'm jealous! :mellow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

stevasaurus

I slept till just after mid-night, and then could not bet back to sleep.  We had the usual fireworks going off around us...that's OK...but at 3:20...somebody was stopped at the light and decided to fire off about 8 rounds.  It sounded like a .45 cal hand gun...was not the neighbors.  At 3:22 eight more rounds were fired off...same gun and then nothing.  I was watching re-runs of Perry Mason and I laid there waiting for someone to start to fire back...didn't happen.  It was quiet after that.  Spike didn't care for the noise and jumped into bed to see if I was OK.  She was shaking...watching Perry Mason calmed her down.  I wish I had a metal detector, I'd be looking outside.  The fire works were just before midnight to about 20 minutes after.  Who ever lite that gun off at 3:20 AM had to be just coming home from a party...drinking...and had to show off.  Just hope he was shooting in the air.  :notworthy:

• Sad 2

roadapples

I was watching the swamp guys catching pythons in the everglades...:occasion-partyblower:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

squonk

Can't believe no one was up woing laundry!

• Haha 2

adsm08

I have pyrometers on my pipes, and I keep it up around 4-500 degrees. When I clean out of the end of the season there is usually a little bit of crap in the removable pipe and hardly anything in the actual chimney.

The wood I got last year was sub-par and left a bit more than usual, and I'm still burning that load, but it's raining, so I'm not going on the roof.

• Like 1

fast88pu

Gotta keep those pipes clean lol. I d some more splitting today for about 2hr while it was 40 outside. Perfect temp for it.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, adsm08 said:

I have pyrometers on my pipes, and I keep it up around 4-500 degrees. When I clean out of the end of the season there is usually a little bit of crap in the removable pipe and hardly anything in the actual chimney.

The wood I got last year was sub-par and left a bit more than usual, and I'm still burning that load, but it's raining, so I'm not going on the roof.

We keep ours in "the yellow" which on our gauge is 300 to 550. Usually between 300 and 400. 

• Like 1

adsm08
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We keep ours in "the yellow" which on our gauge is 300 to 550. Usually between 300 and 400. 

Yeah, my yellow "burn zone" is also 300-500.

Every so often I'll run it up a hair into the red and let it go for a few minutes, but then I shut the damper until it comes back down.

• Like 2

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Wow, we have a catalytic gadget instead of a damper and I aim to run at 1,000 measured right above it--its good up to 1,300 or so. Like @adsm08 though, the uninsulated part of our chimney usually has some charred stuff but the rest is usually pretty clean.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

catalytic

No cat here. We run a late '70s Fisher Papa Bear in a house that is very very tight. So we try to keep right around 400 or a little less. You can get this basement up to 90° pretty easily if you go a lot hotter...

IMG_20210101_172414457.jpg

• Like 1

8ntruck
4 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I slept till just after mid-night, and then could not bet back to sleep.  We had the usual fireworks going off around us...that's OK...but at 3:20...somebody was stopped at the light and decided to fire off about 8 rounds.  It sounded like a .45 cal hand gun...was not the neighbors.  At 3:22 eight more rounds were fired off...same gun and then nothing.  I was watching re-runs of Perry Mason and I laid there waiting for someone to start to fire back...didn't happen.  It was quiet after that.  Spike didn't care for the noise and jumped into bed to see if I was OK.  She was shaking...watching Perry Mason calmed her down.  I wish I had a metal detector, I'd be looking outside.  The fire works were just before midnight to about 20 minutes after.  Who ever lite that gun off at 3:20 AM had to be just coming home from a party...drinking...and had to show off.  Just hope he was shooting in the air.  :notworthy:

Those rounds had to come back to earth somewhere.  The terminal velocity of a .45 cal. slug in free fall is fast enough to penetrate a typical roof.

Be better if they shot into the ground.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

Be better if they shot into

..... Their own house/garage/vehicle.