71_Bronco

Common Ground Vs Battery?

71_Bronco

Was just thinking this morning.

People sometimes have electrical issues due to bad connections, and rusted steel (myself included).

Rather than running the "ground" wire to the frame, or to the block, or to something metal on the tractor (and hope it has a good connection), why not run it back to the battery terminal? I know it would make for more wiring, but it would help eliminate the issue of a bad ground, right?

Just curious if there is anybody who has done this.

• Like 2

ebinmaine

I've absolutely done it and will continue to do it. 

I run grounds from the battery to the frame, engine, all individual components, whatever is supposed to have a ground gets one....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

Best bet is to run the ground wire (#6 or larger) directly from the battery "-" terminal to the starter/SG mounting bolt on the engine block.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

“Too many ground wires!” Said nobody ever...

if you’ve got the time and material, run it :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 4

Zeek

You could also use a terminal block if you wanted to run individual ground wires. That way it's neat and you don't have a bunch of wires connected to your battery - terminal.  One ground from battery to terminal block and everything gets grounded there.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 8

rmaynard

This is why if you have ever looked at a wiring harness on a car, there is usually a direct to the battery ground wire in the harness from every terminal. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 4

Maxwell-8

I have a central location where of everything  gets + or - but its away from the battery.

Fuse-sing everything and hooking up switches is easier and the fuses are all central

Edited by Maxwell-8
  • Like 2

Pullstart
4 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

This is why if you have ever looked at a wiring harness on a car, there is usually a direct to the battery ground wire in the harness from every terminal. 

Speaking of automotive, things don’t work well in a Duramax when you forget to hook up the TWO engine ground wires... right @PeacemakerJack?

dash lights worked, starter didn’t! :ROTF:  that’s what you get when two or more :occasion-clown: are having more fun than you could imagine working in a shop at @pullstart stables!  Hi @Coulter Caleb, I’m talking to you too :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHX??

With all the plastic on cars these days it's hard to find a good ground. I've noticed on some they have ground points littered all over. Be fun tracing them out when having problems!

adsm08
24 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

With all the plastic on cars these days it's hard to find a good ground. I've noticed on some they have ground points littered all over. Be fun tracing them out when having problems!

Tell me about it.

A few months ago we had a van towed in. Guy said he went around a corner, engine shut off, all the lights came on, wouldn't restart.

I found no ground at the fuel pump controller, ran a temporary to drive it in the shop, and built a more permanent replacement, seemed good, shipped it. Next day same thing happened.

Here what happened was that my replacement ground did not cover the actual failure, which was a ground strap between the body and frame that was hidden on the vehicle, and didn't show in any of the diagrams. The battery's main connection is to the body, but most of the chassis grounds go to the frame, so lots of stuff wasn't grounding properly.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

WHX??
8 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

didn't show in any of the diagrams.

Yep gotta love that! 

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Zeek said:

You could also use a terminal block if you wanted to run individual ground wires. That way it's neat and you don't have a bunch of wire connected to your battery - terminal.  One ground from battery to terminal block and everything get grounded there.

Yep, terminal blocks on positive and negative.    Makes it easy to add aux lights,  bells and whistles to the snow machines.

102_2506.JPG.9667597bd9d0924d0c574d0890370ee6.JPG102_2508.JPG.5da2f89848b68983e9db60a53f116556.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3

R Scheer

I'd go with a buss bar myself for the ground.  For the positive I like the marine switch panels, a bit pricy but gives you fuse holders/ switches/ and is hopefully water tolerant.

• Like 3

squonk
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

Speaking of automotive, things don’t work well in a Duramax when you forget to hook up the TWO engine ground wires... right @PeacemakerJack?

dash lights worked, starter didn’t! :ROTF:  that’s what you get when two or more :occasion-clown: are having more fun than you could imagine working in a shop at @pullstart stables!  Hi @Coulter Caleb, I’m talking to you too :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tried that on my friends 80 GMC. Forgot to hook up the main ground. Turned the key to start. Well the starter was grounded to the engine, the engine grounded through the bolt on the motor mount to the chassis, and the chassis grounded to the RF fender, and the RF fender to the battery by virtue of the 10 ga. auxilary ground. cable. That 10 ga. wire did not take kindly to about 250 amps trying to make their way back to the battery. It got crowded in there, they started fighting and let the smoke out! :helmet::helmet::banana-wrench::occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

Tried that on my friends 80 GMC. Forgot to hook up the main ground. Turned the key to start. Well the starter was grounded to the engine, the engine grounded through the bolt on the motor mount to the chassis, and the chassis grounded to the RF fender, and the RF fender to the battery by virtue of the 10 ga. auxilary ground. cable. That 10 ga. wire did not take kindly to about 250 amps trying to make their way back to the battery. It got crowded in there, they started fighting and let the smoke out! :helmet::helmet::banana-wrench::occasion-xmas:

Yeah well you know....

I tried doing that too but on a much smaller scale. 

I put starting amps through the tiny little ground wire of a voltmeter on one of these tractors

• Haha 1

adsm08
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

We had a Super Dooty come in with all the lights on on the dash, it would still start, but all the warning lights were on, no gauges, and couldn't communicate to any of the computers. Guys said it happened while plowing.

Took about six hours of attempted diagnostics to drain it down to the point of needing a jump pack to keep it turned on. At which point all the problems went away. Guy hit a snow bank with the plow, must have broken a plate in the one battery, because the tester showed it shorted internally.

• Haha 1

Pullstart
5 hours ago, adsm08 said:

We had a Super Dooty come in with all the lights on on the dash, it would still start, but all the warning lights were on, no gauges, and couldn't communicate to any of the computers. Guys said it happened while plowing.

Took about six hours of attempted diagnostics to drain it down to the point of needing a jump pack to keep it turned on. At which point all the problems went away. Guy hit a snow bank with the plow, must have broken a plate in the one battery, because the tester showed it shorted internally.

I laugh, because I’ve had some pretty big impacts plowing, that have caused big damage to the plow, to the truck, to my back, but never a battery plate!

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I laugh, because I’ve had some pretty big impacts plowing, that have caused big damage to the plow, to the truck, to my back, but never a battery plate!

Reason why I would never buy a used plow truck...

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

adsm08
11 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yeah, it was pretty unexpected. They were six year old Walmart batteries though.

Handy Don
17 hours ago, squonk said:

It got crowded in there, they started fighting and let the smoke out!

LOL

One of my early sound system mentors would say "ya got yer ohms all jammed up!"

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell
On 12/30/2020 at 8:44 AM, WHX24 said:

On some newer Toyota cars, they have a ground cable hooked to a bolt on the fender. If you remove the fender and don't hook the ground back up, you will burn out a $2000 wiring harness if you start the car!! 

Randy

• Sad 1

Maxwell-8
26 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

On some newer Toyota cars, they have a ground cable hooked to a bolt on the fender. If you remove the fender and don't hook the ground back up, you will burn out a $2000 wiring harness if you start the car!! 

Randy

That there technic to  stop peoples from working on there own car such a shame, also the raisin in drive older cars