DennisThornton

Chrome at home?

Horse Newbie

Now these hub caps had pretty extensive surface rust...and you can see some imperfections, but it is WAAAAY better than they were.

Wish I had some before pics to illustrate my point...

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1

Horse Newbie

Since seeing the end result, I am almost certain I will have a bumper on my 1981 Toyota Hilux 4x4 Pick Up done in this instead of chrome...roll bar, rear tube bumper, and winch/ bush rack will be done in gloss black...

Gonna be a low budget resto, not withstanding paint and interior...veered off topic...

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

veered off topic

Here?

On Redsquare??

Unbelievable!!

:ROTF:

@pullstart ya believe that?

• Haha 2

tom2p
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Here?

On Redsquare??

Unbelievable!!

never !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Skipper
8 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Even better.  I think some folks believe that plating covers scratches and flaws, if anything it makes them more noticeable.  I have little knowledge of this product.  So you have used this product?  Please share more info and pics if you have them.

First off, the super chrome powder coat is the closest (so far) of all the powder coats. Not a 100% shine like real chrome, but it is not terrible either. But it depends a lot on the guys that puts it on. The process has to be precise to get the best "chrome" effect. Not all powder coat places master it. Ask for a sample they made them selves, and not just a factory color sheet. I opted for the silvering process, as I was not 100% satisfied with the super chrome. But had it not been for my stupid need to do things my way, I think many would have been satisfied with the super chrome. To me it looks like highly polished aluminum. Very nice, but not quite chrome.

As for pics of the silvering, no sorry, didn't take any. Hindsight says dumbass :-). I will take some the next time I use it. But really, the youtube videos show it quite good. It is pretty easy to use, but as you mentioned, it doesn't cover anything up. It rather enhances imperfections. All chroming processes do. So if you want it to be smooth, you need the prep work to be smooth. This stuff works like this: You treat the item you want silvered, like any other high end paint job. Spray fillers, vet sanding etc, if you want it mirror smooth. And then finish it of with a high gloss black. The better that black sits, the better the end result. On that black, you use the silvering solutions as per the manual, until you have an even cover. easy to do, and don't take long. Now the item is silvered, but is is highly susceptible to the elements, and will scratch, yellow etc. like silver does. So you dry off, and cover it with a clear coat of the crystal clear type. That seals it inn, and you have that warmer glow silver look. If you want it to have a colder hue, like chrome, you put a tiny bit of purple die in the clear coat, and that filters the light so it looks like chrome. You can play with the mix to get the hue you like.

This video shows the silvering process

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

First off, the super chrome powder coat is the closest (so far) of all the powder coats. Not a 100% shine like real chrome, but it is not terrible either. But it depends a lot on the guys that puts it on. The process has to be precise to get the best "chrome" effect. Not all powder coat places master it. Ask for a sample they made them selves, and not just a factory color sheet. I opted for the silvering process, as I was not 100% satisfied with the super chrome. But had it not been for my stupid need to do things my way, I think many would have been satisfied with the super chrome. To me it looks like highly polished aluminum. Very nice, but not quite chrome.

As for pics of the silvering, no sorry, didn't take any. Hindsight says dumbass :-). I will take some the next time I use it. But really, the youtube videos show it quite good. It is pretty easy to use, but as you mentioned, it doesn't cover anything up. It rather enhances imperfections. All chroming processes do. So if you want it to be smooth, you need the prep work to be smooth. This stuff works like this: You treat the item you want silvered, like any other high end paint job. Spray fillers, vet sanding etc, if you want it mirror smooth. And then finish it of with a high gloss black. The better that black sits, the better the end result. On that black, you use the silvering solutions as per the manual, until you have an even cover. easy to do, and don't take long. Now the item is silvered, but is is highly susceptible to the elements, and will scratch, yellow etc. like silver does. So you dry off, and cover it with a clear coat of the crystal clear type. That seals it inn, and you have that warmer glow silver look. If you want it to have a colder hue, like chrome, you put a tiny bit of purple die in the clear coat, and that filters the light so it looks like chrome. You can play with the mix to get the hue you like.

This video shows the silvering process

Magic!  Almost unbelievable!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here?

On Redsquare??

Unbelievable!!

oh boy.  Thah Boilah is warm, winter storm warning’s a brewin’, couple days left to hunt another deer, coke machine, transmissions and bathrooms.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

"ve

On 12/28/2020 at 9:11 PM, Horse Newbie said:

veered off topic...

"Veered" ....Well can we even count that then? Don't it have to be a hard 90 or maybe 180 to actually be :offtopic:????????

To me it seems anything less than 45 would be considered "along the same lines" or at least "the same general direction"

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Haha 1