DennisThornton

Chrome at home?

DennisThornton

41gLdaueVPL._AC_SY355_.jpg

Tiny URL   https://tinyurl.com/ybtfmevu

Plating at home is somewhat complicated and chroming at home is REALLY not a good idea or very practical either.  Dangerous chemicals and some pretty expensive DC power supplies to be able to plate anything of size.  I have a hobby shop plating system that will sudo chrome small pieces such as hand tools but I couldn't begin to plate a hubcap or valve cover!  (Yet...)    Even if I up the power supply real chrome still won't be my goal.

HOWEVER!  Look at that valve cover shine!  I'm guessing that up close it still won't look like real chrome but it sure beats anything I've seen come out of a spray can!  I've yet to powder coat anything but I've done a ton of research and it wouldn't take much to get into it.

So I ask for any opinions?  Best spray can chrome?  Any first hand experience seeing or actually powder coating "Chrome"?  Any at home DIY powder coating?

• Like 2

Sarthurs01

I may not have done it at home, but we have all the powder coat needs at work.. I tried out the powder coat chrome on the steering shaft in the battery tie down in the brake and clutch rod too. 

7D604892-FF0A-43B7-A807-CA9F7AACEB36.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701

Spray can chrome always seems to look like you used spray can chrome...... 

I have a can of old dupli color chrome high heat engine that I picked up somewhere.  I used it on some small parts didn't look to bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Spray can chrome always seems to look like you used spray can chrome

Agreed. 

To me it looks like super super fine metallic silver paint. 

There are much newer paints on the market than I've tried. 

No need to chrome anything yet but I'm curious to have a first hand physical look at the "modern" sprays. 

Seems I've seen a 2 or 3 stage setup that supposedly gets good results. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Sarthurs01 said:

I may not have done it at home, but we have all the powder coat needs at work.. I tried out the powder coat chrome on the steering shaft in the battery tie down in the brake and clutch rod too. 

7D604892-FF0A-43B7-A807-CA9F7AACEB36.jpeg

What do you think of the "Chrome"?

Sarthurs01
23 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

What do you think of the "Chrome"?

It’s not to bad. Looks better the out of a spray can but just isn’t the real thing. From 10 feet back you would say it’s real but up close it’s little hazy looking. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, Sarthurs01 said:

It’s not to bad. Looks better the out of a spray can but just isn’t the real thing. From 10 feet back you would say it’s real but up close it’s little hazy looking. 

That's about what I expected.  So better than any other choice except plating?

Sarthurs01
1 minute ago, DennisThornton said:

That's about what I expected.  So better than any other choice except plating?

I’ve seen on YouTube there is a 3 step sealer base coat clear for doing it but never seen it in person.

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Personally I don't like chrome, alot of times I think it's way over used, gets scratched, and looks gaudy.  To each there own.  Exhaust, small details, lug nuts it looks ok.  I like the looks of some of the other shades of metallic paints.  I repainted the heat registers in my house a cast iron color which looks neat.  Some of the shades of the hammered paint are cool looking.

• Like 2

DennisThornton
42 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Personally I don't like chrome, alot of times I think it's way over used, gets scratched, and looks gaudy.  To each there own.  Exhaust, small details, lug nuts it looks ok.  I like the looks of some of the other shades of metallic paints.  I repainted the heat registers in my house a cast iron color which looks neat.  Some of the shades of the hammered paint are cool looking.

Everything can be overdone.  Good plating is also a great rust preventative and protector but for sure it's not for everything and not every project deserves the costs of platting and not everyone can afford it but perhaps some could settle for spray can or powder coat.

pfrederi

I am sort of with jabelman  some how to me the words tractor and chrome do not go together...:P

• Like 2

Skipper

An alternative could be water based crome/silvering solution. Easy to do, not that expensive, and I like the more silvery tone compared to chrome. I'm sort of also with jabelman, but some projects just beg for a lot of brightwork :-)

• Like 1

Oldskool

I've tried the spray can chrome. Not a fan. Better off using silver/metallic base/clear coat paint. Thought about the spray chrome from Eastwood but haven't made it that far yet. Although I have a can from Sherwin William's I acquired. Havent tried it yet either lol. Here is the number if anybody wants to try

20201228_082000.jpg

Edited by Oldskool
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Skipper said:

An alternative could be water based crome/silvering solution. Easy to do, not that expensive, and I like the more silvery tone compared to chrome. I'm sort of also with jabelman, but some projects just beg for a lot of brightwork :-)

I've seen some incredible YouTubes silvering whole cars!  But I just assumed it was outside my budget.  I'll have to check that out!

Thanks!

• Like 1

DennisThornton
27 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I've tried the spray can chrome. Not a fan. Better off using silver/metallic base/clear coat paint. Thought about the spray chrome from Eastwood but haven't made it that far yet. Although I have a can from Sherwin William's I acquired. Havent tried it yet either lol. Here is the number if anybody wants to try

20201228_082000.jpg

I'm not finding much with Google other than a 1972 Imported Car Colors index

Oldskool
4 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm not finding much with Google other than a 1972 Imported Car Colors index

I think this can may be as old as I am

DennisThornton
4 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

I think this can may be as old as I am

It's old.  Possibly NLA...

Oldskool
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

It's old.  Possibly NLA...

Probably not. Wasnt sure if any could be mixed from the number

Skipper
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I've seen some incredible YouTubes silvering whole cars!  But I just assumed it was outside my budget.  I'll have to check that out!

Thanks!

https://angelgilding.com/spray-chrome.html

I source the items for it here. Very nice people, and they can help put a cheap beginners kit together.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
14 minutes ago, Skipper said:

https://angelgilding.com/spray-chrome.html

I source the items for it here. Very nice people, and they can help put a cheap beginners kit together.

More expensive than powder coat but from what I've seen more like a mirror too!

Thanks for the link!

• Like 1

Skipper

They put a silvering set together for me that will cover 260 sq. ft. it was like 230$. You can "chrome" a lot of parts with that, but it does take some careful preparation of the items, and does not include the preparation costs, or clear coat to seal it inn.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Horse Newbie, Tim show Dennis the "chrome" powder coat on your wheel covers. 

DennisThornton
2 hours ago, Skipper said:

They put a silvering set together for me that will cover 260 sq. ft. it was like 230$. You can "chrome" a lot of parts with that, but it does take some careful preparation of the items, and does not include the preparation costs, or clear coat to seal it inn.

Even better.  I think some folks believe that plating covers scratches and flaws, if anything it makes them more noticeable.  I have little knowledge of this product.  So you have used this product?  Please share more info and pics if you have them.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Horse Newbie, Tim show Dennis the "chrome" powder coat on your wheel covers. 

@WVHillbilly520H @DennisThornton

Here ya go...

Color:  Super Chrome

Manufacturer:  Tiger Drylac

I don't think they covered it with clear coat, at least I didn't think to mention clear coat the the guys that did it.

Tim (Horse Newbie)

20201221_162049.jpg

20201221_162112.jpg

20201221_162125.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WVHillbilly520H @DennisThornton

Here ya go...

Color:  Super Chrome

Manufacturer:  Tiger Drylac

I don't think they covered it woth clear coat, at least I didn't think to mention clear coat the the guys that did it.

Tim (Horse Newbie)

20201221_162049.jpg

20201221_162112.jpg

20201221_162125.jpg

This is what prompted me to start this topic.  Got me thinking!

• Like 1