peter lena

storm prep

peter lena

HEAVY WIND AND RAIN STORM PREP,  2" to 5 " possible rain , plus snow melt and 50-60mph wind , forecast for lots o power outages , and trees down .  generator run and hooked up , under my calf hutch , like a mini Quonset hut , for weather protection . extra gas , cooking tomorrows dinner today , just in case . cars topped up , extra everything . knowing  EVERSOURCE POWER , if it can be screwed up , they will do it . using heavy chain as a weight drape , to hold down possible blow a ways . up on deck , pete

• Like 2

ebinmaine

We have power go out so often we're ALWAYS prepared for it. 

Wood heat. Gas kitchen stove. 

Small generator to run fridge. Water set aside for toilet flushing and couple gallons fresh in the fridge for coffee. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

CCW

Prepared and not concerned because I am prepared.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

briankd

this past spring i bought a 7500 watt /9500 watt peak generator for storm power outages. last winter the ice knocked our power out. we  sat here cold with no electric . (summertime i don't care ) I bought this thing called generlink . automatic switch for the house it automatically switches over to gen power and when electric comes back on it auto switches back to utility power . my electric co op even came out for free and installed it for me

i used it once this summer and i can run the whole house i even ran the central air by mistake and it did good .let the power go out i am ready!!!!!

474561124_Screenshot2020-12-24175019.jpg.10740fb5bb931fb64c73485a80181970.jpg 

• Like 4

Sparky

Ran my gen for 30 minutes powering the house last weekend so I know mines ready to go. 
  Filled up my gas jugs so no having to run out for fuel for a couple days anyway. 

• Like 5

JoeM
1 hour ago, briankd said:

automatic switch for the house it automatically switches over to gen power

That is so cool! I like that switch arrangement.  That thing looks slick!

I could only imagine trying to get the local power folks to install. They are very fussy. I put in a new service and had all the permits then failed the inspection because I left off two conduit clamps (three were in place) because I was running new siding up that side of the house and was going to install the clamps as I went up with the siding. I told the inspector if that is the case give me 5 minutes I got the clamps and will install them. He said no i can not wait reschedule another appointment and I will come back. $75 more bucks, but I did plead ridiculousness and they said okay. 

Now they only want certified electricians on these jobs. The neighbors tree fell and took out both of our services. Extreme debacle.  $$$ No one seems work in a emergency mode. Called around and was told mostly a week wait. I did find a guy of course through a contractor friend.

• Like 4

briankd
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

That is so cool! I like that switch arrangement.  That thing looks slick!

I could only imagine trying to get the local power folks to install. They are very fussy. I put in a new service and had all the permits then failed the inspection because I left off two conduit clamps (three were in place) because I was running new siding up that side of the house and was going to install the clamps as I went up with the siding. I told the inspector if that is the case give me 5 minutes I got the clamps and will install them. He said no i can not wait reschedule another appointment and I will come back. $75 more bucks, but I did plead ridiculousness and they said okay. 

Now they only want certified electricians on these jobs. The neighbors tree fell and took out both of our services. Extreme debacle.  $$$ No one seems work in a emergency mode. Called around and was told mostly a week wait. I did find a guy of course through a contractor friend.

that is what i like were i am . everyone that is supplied power by the co op is a member of it and has say on what happens they are very helpfull and will do anything to help. the company that manufacture that switch from georgia bought from them they have a list and my electric co op was on it and they said call them they will install no charge 

Edited by briankd

varosd

We move to Asheville, NC 2 months ago from central PA and get a White Xmas!

just renting until Spring  no plow or throw this year. 

C9B6C1D6-8A97-4952-AD23-31224A828B98.jpeg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
38 minutes ago, varosd said:

We move to Asheville, NC 2 months ago from central PA and get a White Xmas!

just renting until Spring  no plow or throw this year. 

C9B6C1D6-8A97-4952-AD23-31224A828B98.jpeg

Meanwhile, here in MAINE where we have can and usually do have a frost NINE months out of the year it's 52 and raining cats n dogs. 

• Like 1

rjg854
13 hours ago, briankd said:

this past spring i bought a 7500 watt /9500 watt peak generator for storm power outages. last winter the ice knocked our power out. we  sat here cold with no electric . (summertime i don't care ) I bought this thing called generlink . automatic switch for the house it automatically switches over to gen power and when electric comes back on it auto switches back to utility power . my electric co op even came out for free and installed it for me

i used it once this summer and i can run the whole house i even ran the central air by mistake and it did good .let the power go out i am ready!!!!!

Got a web site or a way to contact, that looks very interesting, I'd like to check out the possibility of that.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Since I sold my sled , winter's a drag :(.

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Gotta get a horse with tracks then!!!

Digger 66
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Gotta get a horse with tracks then!!!

Been watching Craigslist for a long time .

What I really want is an 80's Kubota B series that needs some work .

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, Digger 66 said:

Been watching Craigslist for a long time .

What I really want is an 80's Kubota B series that needs some work .

We'd have one here if it had a backhoe. Generally great rigs.

Older 4WD tractors have been commanding premium prices lately. 

Good luck and keep us posted. 

• Like 1

briankd
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Got a web site or a way to contact, that looks very interesting, I'd like to check out the possibility of that.

go to generlink.com that is where i went and contacted them . there is all the info on there

the home depot sells them but i hate home depot and buying direct from manufacturre it is cheaper

Edited by briankd
  • Thanks 1

pacer

Some times I have to pinch myself to remember the unbelievable good luck I had several yrs ago re loss of power. 

Obviously here in N La we dont have have a snow problem -- maybe an occasional freezing rain (which can be awful)

But I'm very rural and we got gajillions of trees - especially pine which the limbs are very weak and will fall on the lines, plus other typical probs, like high wind. Have been here almost 50 yrs and for some 25-30 of those a power failure was quite common with repairing at a snails pace.

So, about 12-15 yrs ago I noticed several acres being cleared bout a 1/4 mile from me and with a few discrete questions found that the guy building was not only part of the repair crews, but was actually the main man! Word got out pretty quickly to him that it was common to lose power out here for extended periods.... Well, that aint been a problem since!! He quickly had crews trimming the long overdue overhanging limbs, and also installed street lights!!  Of course we still get the occasional outage but I dont even have to report it, as either him or his wife know of it same as me and its taken care of within a few hrs. YES!!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

Niiiice

Zeek
19 hours ago, briankd said:

That is a very cool idea, I wish I knew that existed. We live in Florida, so it's either summer/fall hurricanes or winter spring tornados. I hard wired a four prong outlet under my panel to a 50 amp breaker in the panel. Gen plugs in to that. Turn off breakers for things you don't want powered (at the same time), turn on what you want. Big thing with that setup in you need to kill the main so you don't kill a lineman by back-feeding the grid.:eusa-naughty:  I keep mine labeled to remind me, but I like your idea better.

I see you powered your AC. In the summer here when it's 95+ you need that, at least at night. I have an 8,500 run/13,500 surge and I didn't think it would power my condenser and air handler at the same time. I'll have to check that . . .:think::techie-studyinggray:

briankd
7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

That is a very cool idea, I wish I knew that existed. We live in Florida, so it's either summer/fall hurricanes or winter spring tornados. I hard wired a four prong outlet under my panel to a 50 amp breaker in the panel. Gen plugs in to that. Turn off breakers for things you don't want powered (at the same time), turn on what you want. Big thing with that setup in you need to kill the main so you don't kill a lineman by back-feeding the grid.:eusa-naughty:  I keep mine labeled to remind me, but I like your idea better.

I see you powered your AC. In the summer here when it's 95+ you need that, at least at night. I have an 8,500 run/13,500 surge and I didn't think it would power my condenser and air handler at the same time. I'll have to check that . . .:think::techie-studyinggray:

that is what i was going to do was wire a plug into the box then shut the main off . with this i don't do nothing just plug in and fire the gen up. still cheaper than a lp or natural gas stand by system priced one they 5k installed 

• Like 1

CCW

At 3:30 a.m. the power went out.  At 7:00 a.m. generator was fired up.  Lights, hot water, refrigerators and Internet all functioned.  At 2:15 p.m. power came back on.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I'm some surprised we haven't lost power here in the forest.... Yet....

CCW
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm some surprised we haven't lost power here in the forest.... Yet....

Don't say anything.  Don't breath too hard or slam a door and I bet you will be just fine.

• Haha 2

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

Got out sledding on Wednesday and Thursday with my grandchildren--we had a blast. This morning, poof! The rain totally erased the snow!

Digger 66
10 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Got out sledding on Wednesday and Thursday with my grandchildren--we had a blast. This morning, poof! The rain totally erased the snow!

I miss it ^ but I don't miss having to :

Hook up the trailer 

Load the machine

Stow my gear 

Drive to drop it

Unload it 

Dress up

And then reverse the procedure ;)

Once I retire and have a home with trail access I will have a new 4 stroke Ski-Doo for certain !

953 nut
On 12/25/2020 at 6:39 AM, varosd said:

move to Asheville, NC 2 months ago from central PA and get a White Xmas

I'm a little west of you, first white Christmas we've had in a dozen years.

image.png.4d2af432ae4f5fbc39b823aa82ff11ef.png

image.png.09b4fd53baeec155c0c1bbc1b868516c.png

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 1