DennisThornton

Cab Heater

DennisThornton

I just ordered one of these for the lowest price I've seen so far, $100 off eBay.  5000W 10L Air Diesel Parking Heater 12V 5KW w/LCD Switch For RV Trailers Trucks

I've been researching these for over a year and I may add a cab to my NH TC35, may add it to my minivan for camping and I also think it could be added to a garden tractor cab somehow, somewhere, or even cheap heat during a blackout.  Around 15,000 BTUs.  12 volts and draws 10 amps at startup but less than an amp running.  I don't know how to get that many BTUs to run off 12v for that kind of money.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DennisThornton
added info
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Heated by engine coolant.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
Just now, gwest_ca said:

Heated by engine coolant.

No. Diesel.  Comes with a fuel pump too!  So if you have a diesel engine you are ready to go or just use the supplied fuel tank.  They really are a marvel to me for the price.  I sold Rinnai, Toyotomi and Monitor heaters for a few years and you pay close to a thousand for their smaller household units and still have to convert to 12v DC and they are much larger, hardly any way to mount them in cab or van.  This style used to be rather expensive too but now the prices have really dropped!

• Like 1

bottjernat1

DennisThornton
Just now, bottjernat1 said:

I've got two of them and they will warm your hands or maybe defrost a little hole on your windshield.  But these are 150 watts where the diesel heaters are 5000 to 8000 and perhaps larger.  I doubt you'd notice any difference in a garden tractor cab with one of these where the diesel would probably be too much run on high.

• Like 1

bottjernat1

Well i need to read better. LOL Your looking for a bog boy heater! I was thinking a snow cab heater for a garden tractor. MY bad! LOL

bottjernat1

WHX??

Interesting ... looks like it's got it's own little fuel tank? I can imagine the 10 amps is to get the diesel burning? Let us know how it works 

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I've been researching these for over a year and I may add a cab to my NH TC35, may add it to my minivan for camping and I also think it could be added to a garden tractor cab somehow, somewhere, or even cheap heat during a blackout.  Around 15,000 BTUs.  12 volts and draws 10 amps at startup but less than an amp running.  I don't know how to get that many BTUs to run off 12v for that kind of money

Hmmm. A gadget like this might make my garage work area inhabitable for longer into the fall and earlier in the spring. Mount it outside and duct the blower through the wall. Have to treat the diesel for cold of course.  I can see it was intended as a cab heater for parked trucks so they don't have to idle the engine (illegal now in many states) or connect to a truck stop heater (pricey and subject to availability). I have a number of 110 to 12v transformers but not sure their amperage--have to dig one out. Food for thought.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Kero is said to work even better and you can store it outside. Seems quiet and dependable.  Should work fine off a mediocre 12v battery left connected to a trickle charger or a fairly small solar setup.   

Tractorhead
3 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I just ordered one of these for the lowest price I've seen so far, $100 off eBay.  5000W 10L Air Diesel Parking Heater 12V 5KW w/LCD Switch For RV Trailers Trucks

I've been researching these for over a year and I may add a cab to my NH TC35, may add it to my minivan for camping and I also think it could be added to a garden tractor cab somehow, somewhere, or even cheap heat during a blackout.  Around 15,000 BTUs.  12 volts and draws 10 amps at startup but less than an amp running.  I don't know how to get that many BTUs to run off 12v for that kind of money.

s-l1600.jpg

I have one of these heaters but with an enclosure and integrated fuel canister (5 litres)

all is mounted in one Box.

Also mine have the other frontend with the 4 outlets in 2“.

This heater is Similatr to a Webasto heater but just a fract in price.

Works in my Shed actually as Interimsheater until i have a final Solution.

Run‘s like a charm .

Diesel consumpt at 3/4 speed about an litre/h, on full power about 1,8 litre/h

Power consumpt measured on Starting 9,8A on running mode 1,1 - 1,3A depending on Speed.

can be set in several steps - mine is with a remote.

Needs about 1 minute to start to full power and about 40 sec. to shutdown completely (after cooling phase)

i‘m highly satisfied about it.

i also thinkering to buy a second one for the Cabin i will built for my Iseki.

if it‘s last as long as the Webasto‘s typically did, i have an 10 year troublefree heater.

as long as you don‘t pull Power line while running or cooling down, i see no reason for a short last of it.

The burning fleece is an essential part of the burner, once powerdown while heating can destroy this fleece.

The good news is, the fleece can be exchanged if destroyed, but it‘s fuzzy to do.

A Word for Servicing this heatertypes - to prevent the aging damage of the fleece, 

you just have to start it up all half year and keep it running for few minutes, than shut down until process is finished -  that‘s it.

It feels to be a good quality compared to the original Webasto and looks very similar in build.

Btw. Webasto also will be now assembled in China.

Have fun with it.

edit - ah, it have the same remote as mine.. - great unit for that price..

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

@Tractorhead

Thanks for your experiences and very favorable comments.  A year ago I was at first leery but then reading that Webasto and I believer another have been making them for a long time and lots of them in long haul rigs and then more and more good comments about the Chinese knockoffs I just had to pull the trigger. 

I appreciate the service tip.  Didn't know about this unit but for years I've suggested my customers of Rinnai, Toyo and Monitor to fire them up once or twice during the off season.

wallfish

Interesting, Never knew these existed, Thanks for the thread !

Just ordered one to play with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton
12 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Interesting, Never knew these existed, Thanks for the thread !

Just ordered one to play with.

John, I want your thoughts!  And I'm sure you will share.

These used to be pretty expensive but today!  Crazy cheap in my opinion!  And to run on 12 volts!   I think they are ideal for mobile and off grid uses.  Heat a van, pickup cap, a small shop or small camper or camp?  For a hundred bucks?

wallfish

Thinking of using it to heat the cargo area of my work vans. The normal heat doesn't reach back there and it sucks working with frozen tools on a freezing day. Diverting the van heat off of my little twinkle toes doesn't sound like a good idea either so we'll see. Seems like there could be many applications.

At $100 each i might buy enough to heat the house! LoL

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

DennisThornton
17 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Thinking of using it to heat the cargo area of my work vans. The normal heat doesn't reach back there and it sucks working with frozen tools on a freezing day. Diverting the van heat off of my little twinkle toes doesn't sound like a good idea either so we'll see. Seems like there could be many applications.

At $100 each i might buy enough to heat the house! LoL

Indeed!  The $100 for 15,000 BTUs is way better than anything I've seen!   How can you go wrong as long as it works...

• Like 1

Handy Don
20 minutes ago, wallfish said:

At $100 each i might buy enough to heat the house!

It sure has me thinking.

Dennis you mentioned firing with kerosene. Diesel is easier to come by in my neck of the woods but it does need extra care in very cold weather. Did your research cover any info on kero?

Edited by Handy Don
type
  • Like 1

DennisThornton

I sold Toyotomi and Monitors and both ran Kero just fine, actually had to in really cold weather.  I know of no reason that kero can't be used.  In cold climates kero and diesel are blended because they have to be or diesel alone will gel.  I've run my NH diesel on straight kero several times and I've researched a lot but I'd love to hear other opinions.  My NH cost a lot more than $100...

troutbum70

That's quite a bargin I had a webasto in my semi, purchased it about 15 years ago and it was right around $1,400.00 dollars way back then. Looked just like the one pictured only it ran at 2000 btu if you could stand to crank it up.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

I had buyed this unit

9483C7EC-BCD0-4AB5-992C-700052E16CD7.png.d36a01376fbe7d891697a213360e2213.png

All needed parts are integrated, i just reworked the sheetmetal a little

where the lines and pipes internally passing it with a edgeprotection.

then fill up and it works nearly each Day since 4 Weeks.

@DennisThornton didn‘t know how it works with Kerosene, but curious about.

The both Manufacturer you meant are Webasto and Eberspächer,

the working on this Heater types over 60 years.

Where Webasto picked now Whale in the row.

So they had a bigger option with Diesel and LPG also.

Eberspächer build just on Diesel and Gas.

I don‘t see any Gas version at the chinese but with that solution on external Tank i‘ll be fine with.

btw. Here Diesel will be made safe here up to -20deg at oct. on each filling Station.

The other option here is heating oil, same as diesel, but no frostprotection.

you can bring it safe to - 20 with adding Petroleum about 20%.

01E6377E-3A29-4DCF-AAEE-9D7A51434C37.png.0c491da4dd971b5078fcd1ddcd009cde.png

I liked the idea of that Case, simply and compact and don‘t need any further connections except Exhaust and 12V

7BB1C2AE-C7B2-4B80-B4FF-227F3096755E.png.1e79ca2c4c9af962a42ea0170749a034.png

I payed for mine 110€ that will be about 120-130 $  including this Case and i love it.

@wallfish as long as your shed was shielded from Wind and little insulated it was able to heat the room,

but than i would suggest a little bigger Tank and maybe the system i have because of easier mounting.

An Attached 12V Starterbatt and an 12V Charger to recharge the battery so you are able to heat longterm.

Runned mine 2 days without interrupt just refilled in the morning and later evening.

Touched everytime the Case to see how hot it becomes, what was just Handwarm.

If your Shed is little insulated it‘s just depending on time to get it Warm no doubt it will get it.

it‘s just a5 KW and not a 20 KW heatgun.

mine is an 80 year old Wooden structure, no insulation where i mount just few windshieldin tarps inside for now.  Roofheight inside is about 5 meters without any insulation.

The gaps between the wood slats is about 1-3 cm so you can spit thru without hittin them,

but with the Attached external Fan i‘m able at - 5 deg to give me an warmed Place with about 15-16 deg where i can Work. And the windshielded tarps helps me a lot on this issue.

will take tomorrow a Pict of my Setup, to show you how it is actually.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
15 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

have one of these heaters

You know the rules TH .... Pics??? 

• Haha 1

Tractorhead
6 hours ago, WHX24 said:

You know the rules TH .... Pics??? 

Huh yap Daddy, i know i know...

give me a few Minutes...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tractorhead

Ok, i think a Video tells more than 1000 Picts..

Sorry for stumbling, but i‘s not my native language.

Here also few Pict‘s the show it also.

2FBBF889-96C9-4D1E-A2F0-DAB811798E8F.jpeg.9ffe7d7df602a487ee2da3989479e4ab.jpeg

battery Setup, this is a 12V 60AH Starterbattery out of the old white Opel.

the capacity is about on 90% usability.

I recharge it with an 12V Charger directly.

E803AC83-5BB3-4B3B-B77B-B1C53070DECB.jpeg.51086b0dea4b8b59da949409a04ebc0f.jpeg

front side of the Heater with connected Fan (125mm diameter) high temp airpipe

A514EA02-20E0-4DBA-959D-194CB54E802E.jpeg.d1c662779f5525f61548fdec9bdd3fd9.jpeg

This is the whole Setup from the Sideview.

82AE8DFA-998A-4621-AF30-0E1ADF530EC5.jpeg.e02f4a3eda6f97cc80c5c0024d8bd6f6.jpeg

And the Exhaust pipe with an added Cooler, basically used for Warmwater heaters to cool down the exhaust temps down to 70 deg.

So i be able to lay the exhaustlice along my Sheddoor to prewarm incomeing Airstreams also..

Because all is wood, i like to keep the themp below 100 degrees.C

hope that will clear my Setup.

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 2

DennisThornton

Need to know a little more about this:

image.png.3cb1adfd73c84e727d0d77e1ba5cf32d.png

I understand what you are doing but I've never seen one of these.  How does it work?

DennisThornton