WheelhorseBob

Chainsaws and rebuilding them.

WheelhorseBob

Thought I’d share one of my many hobbies with all of you. I really enjoy rebuilding pro saws during the cold winter months. Mainly Huskys and Stihls. Gonna start in on this one tonight and it is my favorite model, a Husqvarna 372XP. The owner says it’s down on power so he wants it completely gone through. At a minimum it will get piston&rings/cylinder/seals/fuel lines and if the bottom end is at all loose bearings. If your at all curious about rebuilding these things, I recommend afleetcommand on YouTube. He’s awesome.

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Super cool. 

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Super cool. 

Do still have that big Sachs/Dolmar?

ebinmaine
Just now, WVHillbilly520H said:

Do still have that big Sachs/Dolmar?

No sir. 

Sold it about a year ago to a fella who was gonna replace the side brake and run it. 

I miss it's strength but MAN was it heavy!!!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I miss it's strength but MAN was it heavy!!!

I do love my 2 "light weights"... excuse the green 1 but I did buy it new over 10 years and many cord of wood ago ALL 3 never fail to fire by the 3rd pull.

IMAG5517.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob

Dolmar makes great saws! I have a Makita  /Dolmar 6100p and it rips! I’m a bit saw heavy at the moment but I like them all! Current herd consists of a Stihl 044, three Husqvarna 372’s, a 357Xp that I made into a modified big bore (cuts like a light 70cc saw!) and the Dolkita. Oh and my lowly little Echo CS-450. That echo is the best “little” saw I’ve ever owned!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Horse Newbie

@WheelhorseBob   I have a Husqvarna that all of a sudden I can't hardly pull the starter cord.

But take the plug out... pulls over easily...what should I do ?

Digger 66
5 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I really enjoy rebuilding pro saws

I find it fun too , nothing of that caliber in my arsenal . Just old junk that has people scratching their heads when they see chips flying .

My Dad's old McCullagh and a newly acquired and "gone through" Poulan .

FBCJlIb.jpg

z61ty7w.jpg

Jw4c0Vk.jpg

• Like 2

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

@WheelhorseBob   I have a Husqvarna that all of a sudden I can't hardly pull the starter cord.

Repair the decompression valve.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

excuse the green

No excuses needed there Jeff. Provided they're owned and maintained right that's a great little saw. 

2 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

newly acquired and "gone through" Poulan

I've had saws similar to both that you have pictured. 

Had a little McCullough 10" bar maybe 12 or 15 years ago. Nice little "limber" but of course no chain brake. Didn't feel quite right using it and wasn't burning wood at that point. 

The Poulan Pro I had was a 46cc. Could have been more powerful but it was a nice running saw. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Echo CS-450. That echo is the best “little” saw I’ve ever owned

I'd agree with that. When I replaced the Dolmar I bought an Echo CS-490. 

Echo was having a sales event truck around the area. I picked it up from a smaller dealer instead of a big box store and for the same price. 

It starts and runs great. Power is adequate though occasionally I could use a bit more. For what we cut and the fact that we have patience it does just fine. 

I also have a Stihl ms180c and another Echo, a (3??) I got with a pile of auction stuff. 

WheelhorseBob
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

The only thing you do to get it turning over is take the plug out? I can't imagine what's causing that. What model saw? Do you have the right plug in it? I use a piston stop to remove clutches that looks a bit like a long spark plug, maybe if someone put a really long plug in it? The saw would still turn over with a bad decomp provided it even has one. My 044 Stihl doesn't have a decomp and it is only slightly more difficult to start than my 372's with decomps. They're all 70cc class saws.

Edited by WheelhorseBob

WheelhorseBob
4 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

The only thing you do to get it turning over is take the plug out? I can't imagine what's causing that. What model saw? Do you have the right plug in it? I use a piston stop to remove clutches that looks a bit like a long spark plug, maybe if someone put a really long plug in it? The saw would still turn over with a bad decomp provided it even has one. My 044 Stihl doesn't have a decomp and it is only slightly more difficult to start than my 372's with decomps. They're all 70cc class saws.

I miss read your first post, it still pulls over but it gets more difficult? Than yes, as previously mentioned I would look at the decompression valve.

Stepney

Have a dozen old monsters I really need to get running..

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.13.26 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob
6 hours ago, Digger 66 said:

I find it fun too , nothing of that caliber in my arsenal . Just old junk that has people scratching their heads when they see chips flying .

My Dad's old McCullagh and a newly acquired and "gone through" Poulan .

FBCJlIb.jpg

z61ty7w.jpg

Jw4c0Vk.jpg

Nothin at all wrong with the older Macs! Lots of guys really love them. Check out Bellhopper McCulloch Chainsaws on YouTube, he really knows his Macs!

• Like 1

WheelhorseBob
6 minutes ago, Stepney said:

Have a dozen old monsters I really need to get running..

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.13.26 AM.png

Just be careful with them old beasties, no chain break makes me nervous! 

WVHillbilly520H

Here's my dad's collection of Macs, that old CP-70 was a screamer... The 440 was given to him and then to my boy... The MiniMac 25 was they only saw he ever bought new... And then big boy is a slow saw but some the harder trees this thing doesn't even skip a beat while the fast saw seems to "spark" the chain and dull.

20191026_142659.jpg

20191026_142645.jpg

20191026_135114.jpg

20191026_135042.jpg

20191026_134950.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 2

slim67
12 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

Dolmar makes great saws! I have a Makita  /Dolmar 6100p and it rips! I’m a bit saw heavy at the moment but I like them all! Current herd consists of a Stihl 044, three Husqvarna 372’s, a 357Xp that I made into a modified big bore (cuts like a light 70cc saw!) and the Dolkita. Oh and my lowly little Echo CS-450. That echo is the best “little” saw I’ve ever owned!

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had an opportunity to get a 6100 from Home Depot rental but missed it. I still keep checking but they are all makita colors now.

• Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

20201206_130347.jpg.335c1ba226957584633e0fef60cd1ba0.jpg

4 hours ago, WheelhorseBob said:

I miss read your first post, it still pulls over but it gets more difficult? Than yes, as previously mentioned I would look at the decompression valve.

@WheelhorseBob  Please see the pic for my model.

I don't believe it has a decompression valve, at least the manual did not mention one.

But then again it was not a service manual...jist an owners manual. Don't think its the wrong plug as it's either got the original plug , or I generally put the exact same plug back in.

Always make sure to compare plug length before I install also.

oliver2-44

the first chainsaw I began using in roughly 1972 was an old Mono-??something.  It was a beast of a saw.  I believe my dad bought it in about 1965.  In about 1974 we had to do a lot of clearing to replace a long section of fence and he bough a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10.  i kept that saw running until about I years ago and sold it at a garage sale.  I miss it. I bought Stihl Ms180C for light duty trimming . I barely used it 2-3 tanks of fuel over 3 years and the lower polycarbonate case warped so it has an air leak. it runs good until it gets warm and then you just don't have any power.  They had a "Stihl Day" at the Feed/Outdoor Power Equipment Store , and I talked to the rep about some warranty help since it was 3 years old and the paint wasn't even worn on the bar.  But no help.  At the time I bought my Stihl I didn't realize part of the case was polycarbonate plastic.  I guess that's one place they cut cost.  I'm keeping it with the though that some day I will do a full disassembly to repair that case air leak or use it for parts.  Then a neighbor gave me an identical Stihl that wouldn't run. I did a good deep carb cleaning and now it's been a great running saw.  I don't know if it matters, but I'm careful to not run it to long at a time so I don't over heat the polycarbonate case.        

1263391450_IMG_46951.JPG.fcea99d3a8e1d5079eea427c10196dfd.JPG

• Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

20201206_130347.jpg.335c1ba226957584633e0fef60cd1ba0.jpg

@WheelhorseBob  Please see the pic for my model.

I don't believe it has a decompression valve, at least the manual did not mention one.

But then again it was not a service manual...jist an owners manual. Don't think its the wrong plug as it's either got the original plug , or I generally put the exact same plug back in.

Always make sure to compare plug length before I install also.

Well it looks as though that saw may have a decompression valve and an auto one at that. I’ve never actually worked on nor ran that model saw so it’s hard for me to trouble shoot via this post. Check for the decomp and see if it is working. I found this when I looked, it may help. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Husqvarna-Service-Bulletins/B0401016.pdf.              If all checks out with the decomp, pull the recoil and turn it over by hand to rule out recoil issues. Then pull the clutch cover and check the chain break and clutch for anything out of order. Kind of a process of elimination. 

WheelhorseBob
48 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

the first chainsaw I began using in roughly 1972 was an old Mono-??something.  It was a beast of a saw.  I believe my dad bought it in about 1965.  In about 1974 we had to do a lot of clearing to replace a long section of fence and he bough a McCulloch Pro Mac 10-10.  i kept that saw running until about I years ago and sold it at a garage sale.  I miss it. I bought Stihl Ms180C for light duty trimming . I barely used it 2-3 tanks of fuel over 3 years and the lower polycarbonate case warped so it has an air leak. it runs good until it gets warm and then you just don't have any power.  They had a "Stihl Day" at the Feed/Outdoor Power Equipment Store , and I talked to the rep about some warranty help since it was 3 years old and the paint wasn't even worn on the bar.  But no help.  At the time I bought my Stihl I didn't realize part of the case was polycarbonate plastic.  I guess that's one place they cut cost.  I'm keeping it with the though that some day I will do a full disassembly to repair that case air leak or use it for parts.  Then a neighbor gave me an identical Stihl that wouldn't run. I did a good deep carb cleaning and now it's been a great running saw.  I don't know if it matters, but I'm careful to not run it to long at a time so I don't over heat the polycarbonate case.        

1263391450_IMG_46951.JPG.fcea99d3a8e1d5079eea427c10196dfd.JPG

One of the main reasons I like to work on Pro saws is the two piece magnesium cases. Saws that utilize poly case bottoms are known as “clamshells”. They are almost all homeowners saws and from what I’ve seen a pita to work on! The way the two piece crankcase is put together begs for air leaks.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
44 minutes ago, WheelhorseBob said:

One of the main reasons I like to work on Pro saws is the two piece magnesium cases. Saws that utilize poly case bottoms are known as “clamshells”. They are almost all homeowners saws and from what I’ve seen a pita to work on! The way the two piece crankcase is put together begs for air leaks.

I really only needed a homeowner type saw for trimming a few tree limbs and cutting some BBQ wood. Ive certainly learned my lesson. I’ll only buy Pro saws from now on. 

• Like 1

slim67
12 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I really only needed a homeowner type saw for trimming a few tree limbs and cutting some BBQ wood. Ive certainly learned my lesson. I’ll only buy Pro saws from now on. 

husky,dolemar/makita,stihl and echo. I knew a guy who had Jonsereds when I was a kid and they are still around but I don't know if the quality is still the same.

WVHillbilly520H
30 minutes ago, slim67 said:

husky,dolemar/makita,stihl and echo. I knew a guy who had Jonsereds when I was a kid and they are still around but I don't know if the quality is still the same.

RedMax and Efco some around here like Shindawa.