JCM

Trail Maint/ tine raking/ Tree clean up

ebinmaine

In fact after Zagray is done we could bring the monster splitter down too. 

We'd make super short work of that tree. 

• Like 1

JCM

Remember I mentioned to you I wanted to build a simple bridge over the brook ? That Hemlock would probably work for both stringers ?

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, JCM said:

Remember I mentioned to you I wanted to build a simple bridge over the brook ? That Hemlock would probably work for both stringers ?

Yeah buddy you BET it would/wood 🪵

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

In fact after Zagray is done we could bring the monster splitter down too. 

We'd make super short work of that tree. 

On your way back, take a @Pullstart shortcut through Michigan... I gots some logs i'd introduce you to... :chores-chopwood:

77751F78-68AF-4ABA-B571-123FF3BE2C9B.jpeg

14B56D36-0268-40BD-B487-4C8BB2D982E5.jpeg

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

On your way back, take a @Pullstart shortcut through Michigan... I gots some logs i'd introduce you to... :chores-chopwood:

77751F78-68AF-4ABA-B571-123FF3BE2C9B.jpeg

14B56D36-0268-40BD-B487-4C8BB2D982E5.jpeg

If'n ya wazz closah we'd be all over it. 

• Thanks 1

JCM

Follow up from page 4  # 97 Hemlock down. All trimmed up and ready to be relocated to its new home spanning the Brook. Probably cut 2 lengths roughly 20'.

423D.JPG

422a.JPG

422C.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JCM said:

Probably cut 2 lengths roughly 20'.

That'll get ya there.   

• Like 1

Sparky

Damn! Nice job :handgestures-thumbupright:

Will there be a troll under the bridge saying “no one shall pass” :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

WHX??

Saaawweeettt Plunger... :thumbs:

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
11 hours ago, Sparky said:

Damn! Nice job :handgestures-thumbupright:

Will there be a troll under the bridge saying “no one shall pass” :lol:

:ROTF:

I'll volunteer for that!!!

@JCM BEAUTIFUL WORK on that bridge Jim!! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

JCM

Brought the C-120 out today to remove some pine needles, leaves and small twigs from the trails today. Usually I try to do this right before the M & G but had too many projects on my plate around here this year and only did it this past spring one time. Thankful that we did not get any damage from the storm yesterday.

Trail_Clean_4.JPG

Trail_Clean_8.JPG

Trail_Clean_9.JPG

Trail Clean A.JPG

Trail Clean B.JPG

2023_Trail_Clean.JPG

Trail_Clean_7.JPG

Trail Clean 6.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

JCM

Taking advantage of no snow to work on the trail system this December. Been nice to be able to open up the existing width on the trails with a new piece of equipment to haul the firewood out of the woods. The serenity of the amount of water flowing down the brook through the property has been very enjoyable in sight and sound as well.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

IMG_1529.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

Jon Paulsen

Beautiful place you have :handgestures-salute:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JCM

A lot of work and time, but well worth it. Thank You Sir      @Jon Paulsen    :thumbs:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JCM

Yesterday it was time to reopen a trail made by a skidder, better known as a skiddah in the great state of Maine from the previous owner. I have been wanting to do this for a while now but this trail

collects water in the ruts leftover from logging. Some years it is passable, some not. The weather has been great for trail work and getting a jump on  it  is nice. It's roughly 300 yards that is for now usable. If it looks good during the September Meet & Greet I will add it to the trail ride. Can-Am continues to be a huge asset to the amount of work it has made possible in a very short time. It has been one of the best piece of equipment I have ever purchased. No Macadam yet @Handy Don. Keeping my word. :thumbs:

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

Edited by JCM
  • Like 5

OoPEZoO

Love that front mount dethatcher……did you make that from a tow behind version, or buy it that way and just make it fit?

• Like 1

JCM

Tine rake was bought along with a new 1991  520-H from a WH dealer. After market supplier. @OoPEZoO  Fits many different WH models.

• Like 1

JCM

Some pics mounted on different models. @OoPEZoO

2020-2.jpg

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0409.JPG

IMG_0919_(1).JPG

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JCM said:

skidder, better known as a skiddah

Good correction. I'd 'a nevuh figyahhed out whatchoo'zz typin' ...

• Like 2

Handy Don
16 hours ago, JCM said:

reopen a trail made by a skidder, better known as a skiddah

These skiddah roads through forests are often below the grade of adjacent soil due to compression by the heavy machinery. Getting good drainage without erosion and without introducing additional material is a serious challenge to good forest management, especially on sloping terrain or borderline wetland.

We have a similar situation at our camp. One solution we’re strongly considering for certain wide, rutted trail sections is to use a ripper to loosen the compressed soil, pull some material from the side “banks” into the ruts and then completely discontinue use of that trail and allow the forest to re-absorb it. Where needed for access, we'll cut a new, much narrower trail around or in parallel for our small tractor and for walking that will not compress the soil to the same degree. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

These skiddah roads through forests are often below the grade of adjacent soil due to compression by the heavy machinery. Getting good drainage without erosion and without introducing additional material is a serious challenge to good forest management, especially on sloping terrain or borderline wetland.

We have a similar situation at our camp. One solution we’re strongly considering for certain wide, rutted trail sections is to use a ripper to loosen the compressed soil, pull some material from the side “banks” into the ruts and then completely discontinue use of that trail and allow the forest to re-absorb it. Where needed for access, we'll cut a new, much narrower trail around or in parallel for our small tractor and for walking that will not compress the soil to the same degree. 

Good thoughts.  

As an additional ...

Some places around here I've seen the loggers use seasonal runoff stream beds as their machinery roads. 

There's at least two on our own acreage.  

Be sure what you're filling in or moving would be OK to drain later without causing a different issue nearby.  

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Some places around here I've seen the loggers use seasonal runoff stream beds as their machinery roads. 

In NY, forests under state-approved management plans (which get a substantial property tax abatement as compensation) must have regular inspections by a licensed forester. The forester my son and daughter hired has come down HARD on this (and other environmentally damaging) behavior with fines against loggers. Steam beds, even seasonal ones, harbor contributors to the forest biome out of all proportion to more generally wooded areas.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

In NY, forests under state-approved management plans (which get a substantial property tax abatement as compensation) must have regular inspections by a licensed forester. The forester my son and daughter hired has come down HARD on this (and other environmentally damaging) behavior with fines against loggers. Steam beds, even seasonal ones, harbor contributors to the forest biome out of all proportion to more generally wooded areas.

Interesting about the Licensed Forester. I'm under the impression up here every single logging job either has a Forester as part of the crew or they bring one in on a very regular basis.

Might be important to note that this land was logged somewhere between 50 and 70 years ago so stream bed running practice may no longer be valid here. 

JCM

More trail work yesterday and cutting hardwood for the stoves. Decided to make up two cables for the new bridge out back as the water level has been very high this year and wanted a piece of mind. A few pics from this afternoon. Sat down a bit and enjoyed a cheroot on the bridge. Beautiful day at the Cabin.

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1603.JPG

IMG_1594.JPG

IMG_1593.JPG

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1595.JPG

IMG_1602.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4