Zeek

Pig Hunting

Zeek

This got touched on in another post about something different so I figured it needed it's own spot. I discovered when I moved to central FL which is primarily cattle/horse country, that Florida and Texas have the largest populations of wild hogs that are very destructive to pastures and lawns. Because of they are a nuisance animal you can trap/shoot them whenever. They are definitely a nuisance at my place.

We got this one in June 

603105385_20200716_101320(Medium).jpg.11f63f881d5d690942089f2e8683909f.jpg

These are some night shot a few days ago on my property

684793744_EK000673(Medium).JPG.f55f921a259be17df0983aee66e6da25.JPG

1128782533_EK002693(Medium).JPG.9758c1fe3dc3a7481ddf80cf4d1caa5e.JPG

We got this one via trap last Thursday

1687081355_20201119_114924(Medium).jpg.a0159187ff2e3a579db54ea39e738c2a.jpg1932496590_butchered(Medium).jpg.3d7b599b4708b018de980d8b445ceccd.jpg

This was last night's kill

1384046593_IMG_6806(1)(Medium).jpg.3618b495f0ddd5569b1f6f73e0e652e7.jpg

Here's the video

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Way cool Zeek. How are they as far as table fare? Never had wild hog myself. Tough or gamy tasting? 

Planning a hog hunt to TX when I retire but may have to change that to FL.

We had a bit of trouble with them here in WI once but orders to shoot on sight from the DNR cured that. Turned out a guy illlegally brought them here for a private fenced in hunt club but they got out and multiplied like horses! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 5

ebinmaine

Looks like quite a fair pile of num nums there

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I took one with the bow years ago on a guided hunt.  They are a tough, nasty, and mean creatures.  Had it processed and gave most of the meat away, got mixed reviews about it tasted some liked some didn't, put enough bar b q sauce it all tastes the same

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Tractorhead

Wild hog are here also pest,

but i like‘em

-  sliced in thinner stripes about 1 cm thick is perfect for Barbecue.

1 teaspoon mustard and 1 spoon honey, priece Salt and bit chilli mixed and rub before

than put it on grill - yummy

👍

• Like 4

pacer

As many of you know I show I live in "N W La" which means I am about some 5-6 miles from Tx line. I live in the 'boonies' on 5 acres which is situated right next to some 350 acres that are leased by a several active/retired Sheriff's deputies for deer hunting. Having got to know a couple of them I have heard some ..... derisive? (to put it mildly!) comments about the feral pigs, they have seriously messed with the deer hunting. They have some 4-5 traps set all year long and ck them regularly. Talked to one of the retirees couple wks ago and he said they just seem to get worse, despite capturing 2/3 up to 8/10 regularly. Their game cameras get shots like Zeek shows most every time they ck them. Asked him what the heck did he do with all of them and he said that by now (into the 5th/6th year) that they have little problems getting rid of them, apparently homeless shelters can take quite a lot. He went on to tell me about this monster boar they have been seeing in the film but just cant get him into a trap, he is obviously VERY impressed with this big guy, saying they have never seen anything to come close to his size.

Strangely enough - thankfully - I have not had any problems with them coming into my property .... dang, a couple years ago overpopulation of Armadillos got into my yard and it looked like a WW1 war zone, I hate to think what a herd of wild hogs would do!!

• Like 2

Pullstart

I think if someone doesn’t like gamey taste they don’t like gamey taste.  I’d love to hunt a couple for the freezer, see about making some sausage, bacon, smoked ham, etc.  thanks for sharing Zeek!

• Like 3

Zeek
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Way cool Zeek. How are they as far as table fare? Never had wild hog myself. Tough or gamy tasting? 

Planning a hog hunt to TX when I retire but may have to change that to FL.

We had a bit of trouble with them here in WI once but orders to shoot on sight from the DNR cured that. Turned out a guy illlegally brought them here for a private fenced in hunt club but they got out and multiplied like horses! 

Not sure, haven't had my first bite yet. I've heard different stories on big vs small, so I'll let you know. They are like un-neutered feral cats except way bigger and way more destructive. 

1 hour ago, pacer said:

As many of you know I show I live in "N W La" which means I am about some 5-6 miles from Tx line. I live in the 'boonies' on 5 acres which is situated right next to some 350 acres that are leased by a several active/retired Sheriff's deputies for deer hunting. Having got to know a couple of them I have heard some ..... derisive? (to put it mildly!) comments about the feral pigs, they have seriously messed with the deer hunting. They have some 4-5 traps set all year long and ck them regularly. Talked to one of the retirees couple wks ago and he said they just seem to get worse, despite capturing 2/3 up to 8/10 regularly. Their game cameras get shots like Zeek shows most every time they ck them. Asked him what the heck did he do with all of them and he said that by now (into the 5th/6th year) that they have little problems getting rid of them, apparently homeless shelters can take quite a lot. He went on to tell me about this monster boar they have been seeing in the film but just cant get him into a trap, he is obviously VERY impressed with this big guy, saying they have never seen anything to come close to his size.

Strangely enough - thankfully - I have not had any problems with them coming into my property .... dang, a couple years ago overpopulation of Armadillos got into my yard and it looked like a WW1 war zone, I hate to think what a herd of wild hogs would do!!

Hopefully you don't. I did not initially, but it seems that rain and other weather factors affect their travel. It's funny, in the northeast I used to see deer struck by cars along the road. Here you see pigs.

I had an armadillo issue too. He decided to dig out an live underneath my shed causing multiple holes and actually affected the levelness. After MULTIPLE attempts at trapping, etc. I resorted to game cam footage of activity and sniped him one night. Problem solved after I dumped a cart full of sand in to refill and re-leveled the shed.  

We are pro keeping any animal or reptile (including certain snakes) if it does good and does not create an issue that is worse.

The offending armadillo

2071130119_IMG_0760(Medium).JPG.fe08f76d4d68f3d15edaaee92e3d6526.JPG

NICE sandhill cranes

1563507476_20191025_162240(Medium).jpg.89b3f00586a8c6be0375fe926fcbb2fa.jpg

We have about 20 turkeys that hang around, been thinking about trying one of them for dinner

20201101_143604.jpg.aa8bd306f5fb9b2aad68d73032da9992.jpg

We have night vision and a thermal imager out tonight, so we'll see :geek:

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Zeek

We have night vision and a thermal imager out tonight, so we'll see :geek:

• Excellent 2

Kenneth R Cluley

We have turkey and deer on our property also, but no hogs or evidence of them. My experience with wild turkeys is that they are not very good.  Most hunters only go for males as trophy.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I haven’t gotten into turkeys (yet), but am a fan of eating what I harvest.  Unless it’s a pest animal... those are for the crows and vultures.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Curious: What’s the weapon of choice for hunting them? (Caliber etc.) Are there different gun requirements depending on where you live? Like deer areas here in Michigan...? (Shotgun, rifle etc.)

Racinbob

For many years I've wanted to hunt wild boar with my favorite firearm. A Smith & Wesson .357 revolver. Maybe someday. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Curious: What’s the weapon of choice for hunting them? (Caliber etc.) Are there different gun requirements depending on where you live? Like deer areas here in Michigan...? (Shotgun, rifle etc.)

In SC, it’s “whatever gun is in season” for other game.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Looks like the foundation sagged abit Zeek. Same problem here except with woodchucks. 

Sandhills are abundant here in the summer what with all the marsh we have. I call them pterodactyls cause that's what they look like flying over. :) Farmers hate them cause they will go down rows of corn seedlings and pluck the whole row to get the sprouting kernel. Talk is a season on them and heard tell taste alot like chicken. 

2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

For many years I've wanted to hunt wild boar with my favorite firearm. A Smith & Wesson .357 revolver. Maybe someday. :)

Same thought here Bob but my scoped Ruger Blackhawk in .44 mag.

Sausage and brats good idea Kev.

13 hours ago, Kenneth R Cluley said:

My experience with wild turkeys is that they are not very good.  Most hunters only go for males as trophy.

Not here Ken ... deep fried wild turkey is the bomb!

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2

Zeek
16 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Per the Florida Game Commission:

"Wild hogs may be trapped and hunted year-round with landowner permission. A hunting license is not required, and a permit is not required to take wild hogs at night with a gun and light with landowner permission.

Hunters may use dogs and any legal rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow, pistol or air gun (including airbow). There is no size or bag limit, and either sex may be harvested.

Wild hogs may be trapped using live traps (e.g., box traps, cage traps, corral traps)."

Although, having watched one take two .44 to the head to finalize things, there's no way I'd use an "airgun."

For the night shooting, my friend has 6.5 grendel on an AR platform. The scope is a Sitemark Wraith with Coyote Reaper IR light (pictured). That's the one the video was done with. I use an SKS 7.62x39. If they are already in the trap it's a .44 mag pistol.

1132738502_PigGun.jpg.ab3d23be0d127bf45370a55a710c3eab.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg.33f6cc54fa64f9c9448cb9672320c837.jpg

Edited by Zeek
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Per the Florida Game Commission:

"Wild hogs may be trapped and hunted year-round with landowner permission. A hunting license is not required, and a permit is not required to take wild hogs at night with a gun and light with landowner permission.

Hunters may use dogs and any legal rifle, shotgun, crossbow, bow, pistol or air gun (including airbow). There is no size or bag limit, and either sex may be harvested.

Wild hogs may be trapped using live traps (e.g., box traps, cage traps, corral traps)."

For the night shooting, my friend has 6.5 grendel on an AR platform. The sight is a Sitemark Wraith with Coyote Reaper IR light (pictured). That's the one the video was done with. I use an SKS 7.62x39. If they are already in the trap it's a .44 mag pistol.

1132738502_PigGun.jpg.ab3d23be0d127bf45370a55a710c3eab.jpg

Well now... that just about covers it... kinda looks like them critters are about as welcome as fire ants in your undies... :lol:

Happy hunting!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Seems you southern fellas need a wild hog huntin' BBT. 

:lol:

• Like 1

Zeek

Another successful night (x2) . . . 

Edited by Zeek
  • Excellent 3

clueless
On 11/24/2020 at 6:07 AM, Racinbob said:

Trust me Bob you don't want to hunt wild hogs especially big males with tusks with a .357 you'll probably just piss him off and they are already mean as hell. If you do make sure your in a tree stand. Watching two trained 65 pound pit bull dogs taking down a 250+ pound hog with tusks is something to see. As far as taste if their 100# or under (still considered a pig not a hog) smoke'm if you got'um after that the bigger and older they get the tougher and gameyer they get:(.

• Like 4

Pullstart

Awesome Zeek!  I feel like a buck shot load in a tight choke could take a few out in a shot like that first one!

• Like 1

Zeek
8 hours ago, clueless said:

Trust me Bob you don't want to hunt wild hogs especially big males with tusks with a .357 you'll probably just piss him off and they are already mean as hell. If you do make sure your in a tree stand. Watching two trained 65 pound pit bull dogs taking down a 250+ pound hog with tusks is something to see. As far as taste if their 100# or under (still considered a pig not a hog) smoke'm if you got'um after that the bigger and older they get the tougher and gameyer they get:(.

This backstrap was from the 250 lb. one from last week. I agree that the big ones have worked for their food for a long time so they are definitely not the tenderness of your store bought. As far as taste, these were seasoned with Butt Rub  and Worchester sauce. Zero game taste. I'm not telling you guys anything that hunt, but prep (bleeding/speed/temp/seasoning/cooking) is everything with game taste elimination.

I cut it super thin and add barbeque sauce so it's more like pulled pork when done.

1956355598_20201124_172235(Medium).jpg.8b3b436392dc2b8ab93bb999b1be412b.jpg20201124_181328.jpg.4b66720d8672d9e614a28713414898a3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??

How fatty/lean are they when you butcher them Zeek? Gotta think they would be different then commericial hogs.

Can you do the other traditional pork things with them? Make hams, bacon etc? 

Yah know they say all the meat around a pigs @$$ is pork! :lol:

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701
26 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

How fatty/lean are they when you butcher them Zeek? Gotta think they would be different then commericial hogs.

When I had the wild one from the hunt I went on butchered they made everything out of it you could think of.  I think that boar was around 350 lbs.  The meat was really lean.  I think that why alot of the people didn't really like it because they over cooked it

• Like 2

Zeek
22 hours ago, WHX24 said:

We did the backstraps, kept the the hams and shoulders and made the rest into sausage. By the looks of it I'd say it's probably leaner than raised. A friend of mine in PA used to have a large pig farm and sold commercially. Having had a pig roast there, I'd say they are a little less lean because they don't have to do much to work for food and are bread the be big with a different diet.

• Like 1