JCM

Tree work today

JAinVA

Best thing to do with a red oak log is make lumber  with it. The slabs are firewood. Biggest problem for me is storing the lumber.2012_07_27_317.JPG.7194ccecdc9597bc5853b306f524f2a3.JPG

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor

This was a nice straight cherry tree a few years ago, now it needs to come down.  I'm rather afraid to tackle this one with the considerable lean and the large crack.  It should be pulled slightly to avoid hanging up it another tree to complicate the matter.

IMG_2200.JPG.68ea6960ab0021f4d277a6853d83edd4.JPGIMG_2202.JPG.020f593786b178e0ad8d0d976b3b1b1e.JPG

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

That cherry tree looks like the red oak I had to have taken down this fall. Leaning towards neighbor's house and many rotten limbs at the top. About 40 inches at the stump. One guy limbed it , topped it , lowered by ropes , then cut about every 15 inches . Last 20 feet dropped in one piece. Whole house shook . Ground crew loaded all of it on the truck by hand. .

• Like 3

JAinVA

2018_10_12_1928.JPG.80bdcabf6e45b4cd7537ed586a0d0d56.JPG2018_10_12_1918.JPG.a233823672d0cdc577f55806bebfc42d.JPG I had a large red oak that needed to come down .My next door neighbors son had a tree service that I used before. The tree was forty inches at the base. I watched as they brought the tree down limb at a time with a bucket truck. My 65 year old  next door neighbor was the ground man. One of the limbs was a little more than he could handle. i never knew Clyde could go that fast, It was funny then and  even more now.. He wasn't hurt. I miss him and  am aware of my own limitations. When this tree fell on my shop the first thing I did was to tie it off to a  large hickory with a 3/4" nylon rope. to stabilize it. If you fell trees then there is information and classes that will school you to keep you safe. Once this shi# happens you are captive to your own skills.. I'm still here!

Edited by JAinVA
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
14 hours ago, JAinVA said:

you are captive to your own skills..

Unequivocally immense life statement there. 

Hence, Trina and I do as much as we can for ourselves, by ourselves. 

• Excellent 1

formariz

@JCM Even as firewood many pieces here don’t make it to that. Whether they become spoon material or plane material just to name a few I keep saving prized pieces.

C2CF1787-9036-48D2-91A9-26357289AB3E.jpeg.817c055a1e1a29d530ca3265b47b6f88.jpeg

388959A3-0254-4AE3-9107-15988C2458EB.jpeg.01793f93e4d2e5f364ae1371e3184349.jpeg

• Excellent 2

JCM

I have wanted to meet you Cas for many years in person hopefully at the next Big Show if we ever get back to normal. I am sure I could arrange to deliver some nice oak for you to do whatever with. We could work out the details at a later date, this is a gift to you from me.     Keep in touch.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, JCM said:

I have wanted to meet you Cas for many years in person hopefully at the next Big Show if we ever get back to normal. I am sure I could arrange to deliver some nice oak for you to do whatever with. We could work out the details at a later date, this is a gift to you from me.     Keep in touch.

I'd be in on that too. You want chunks of tree?

Me and Jim got trees. LOTS of trees.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd be in on that too. You want chunks of tree?

Me and Jim got trees. LOTS of trees.  

I am always getting wood. Its almost an obsession (some here claim its just that). The same way that I obtained tools all my life, whether inherited , given or bought, wood has basically been the same. There are about  6 to 7 thousand board feet of various species at hand all the time, some so precious to me because of sheer size or scarcity that I will probably never bring myself to use it.Good thing that space is running out and I have the little woman to put the brakes on things. My grandfather used to say when asked what all of his wood was for " most of it is really for my children and grandchildren". I never really gave that much thought until recent years.

• Like 2

Stormin

This was a rather large beech branch that broke off a few years back and hit the corner of my house. Would have been worse if the higher wall wasn't there. It's just resting on the end.

DSCF0010.JPG.f2b889c7400fbfea528b88f4b5901bc7.JPG

This photo is after  we managed to drag it further onto the wall, then I went up and cut bits off. I used a cat ladder on the roof.

DSCF0007.JPG.53b659a648063de37063378fb485491e.JPG

DSCF0013.JPG.1078139e8015689f4828240faa7cc4a6.JPG

Only problem was when I was getting from cat ladder to ladder when coming down. SWMBO was standing holding the ladder and supposedly watching where I was putting my feet. I say supposedly. I got my right foot on a rung then went to put my left foot on it but missed. Didn't fall but came close. Grabbed cat ladder with one hand, taking skin off my left elbow. I also kicked SWMBO in the face, as she was standing under the ladder, back to house wall and busy talking to a neighbour instead off watching what I was doing.

I was wearing trainers so she suffered no damage. I thought I'd twisted my knee a touch with the sudden jolt. But it turned out worse than that. I'd compressed the cartilage and ended walking with a stick and unable to drive for 6 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, formariz said:

My grandfather used to say when asked what all of his wood was for " most of it is really for my children and grandchildren". I never really gave that much thought until recent years

My Mom's father, my Grampa, had a pretty fair sized old farmer's barn. It pleasantly filled with the type of eclectic "stuff" one would find at any given yard sale, a decent amount of old but quality wood working tools. And ... Other stuff. 

He'd look at me and giggle. "Boy, he'd say. Boy, my daughters ah gonna have fun with this ole bahn fulla crap!"

formariz
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

He'd look at me and giggle. "Boy, he'd say. Boy, my daughters ah gonna have fun with this ole bahn fulla crap!"

Funny you mention that.Such conversation happens here now on a somewhat frequent basis with my sons where they look around specially after I acquire something else and shake their heads and say that "boy this place is going to be a problem some day ". I remind them that not only am I far from being done yet , but also in reality that they have to think differently. I tell them not to be in a hurry when it happens, that everything here is paid for and there is no hurry to dispose of the place. Just pay the taxes and think about it for a while. However in reality that the easiest thing to do which would make me extremely happy would be if one of them or one of the grandchildren would just move in and leave everything intact as much as possible. That would definitely put an eternal smile on my face.

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Funny you mention that.Such conversation happens here now on a somewhat frequent basis with my sons where they look around specially after I acquire something else and shake their heads and say that "boy this place is going to be a problem some day ". I remind them that not only am I far from being done yet , but also in reality that they have to think differently. I tell them not to be in a hurry when it happens, that everything here is paid for and there is no hurry to dispose of the place. Just pay the taxes and think about it for a while. However in reality that the easiest thing to do which would make me extremely happy would be if one of them or one of the grandchildren would just move in and leave everything intact as much as possible. That would definitely put an eternal smile on my face.

That's kinda what I did with my grandparents property.  He built the place post ww2.  Didn't want to see it sold off, but it was overwhelming when it was time to clear it out and move in.  You got to draw the line and decide what you want to keep and what goes, for us too my wife's grand parents  passed similar time and emptying that place too and they were hoarders! 

• Like 2

bc.gold
On 11/20/2020 at 6:35 PM, JAinVA said:

Don't worry one of our Canadian members will be all to happy to tell you what they think you did wrong! 

At least it fell in the right direction.

• Like 1

tom2p

01AAE43D-ECAC-426D-8FE4-2D68E299BF47.jpeg

I wish I could not relate to this 

lol

Edited by tom2p
  • Haha 4

tom2p
18 hours ago, formariz said:

I am always getting wood. Its almost an obsession (some here claim its just that). The same way that I obtained tools all my life, whether inherited , given or bought, wood has basically been the same. There are about  6 to 7 thousand board feet of various species at hand all the time, some so precious to me because of sheer size or scarcity that I will probably never bring myself to use it.Good thing that space is running out and I have the little woman to put the brakes on things. My grandfather used to say when asked what all of his wood was for " most of it is really for my children and grandchildren". I never really gave that much thought until recent years.

love wood 

can't have enough wood 

when I watch a remodeling show and they paint good wood -  I close my eyes  ... sometimes get angry  lol

even knotty pine 

and same when they paint masonry ... ughhhh 

• Like 3

JCM

Finished the remaining wood splitting today before cutting in another trail here on the property. This was started back in November and the weather was nice today to get at it. Used the bucket loader to pick those butts up out back and raise them up onto the height of the Honda powered Timberwolf log splitter. Stacked them for next year. 

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0544.JPG

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@JCM, I gotta bust ur :text-bump: , green bucket loader? really? This ain't the Red Green forum here, lol, but on a serious note, its all good one of mine loader rig orange Kioti and of course the other is red and anything is better than a wheel narrow and a shovel.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JCM
2 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

@JCM, I gotta bust ur :text-bump: , green bucket loader? really? This ain't the Red Green forum here, lol, 

It's ok, been waiting for it, but I didn't think it would be from you Jeff. I thought we were Bowtie brothers.     :thumbs:

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, JCM said:

It's ok, been waiting for it, but I didn't think it would be from you Jeff. I thought we were Bowtie brothers.     :thumbs:

We are, figured it would be easier coming from the Bowtie side.:ROTF:

• Excellent 2