Pullstart

Coming clean

Pullstart

I know there are plenty of motorcycle enthusiasts here.  I’ve grown up on three wheelers and quads, dirt bikes and motorcycles treated as such.

Today, after legally owning road bikes for over 15 years, I took my test!  The chick in front of me was not fit to be riding, almost flipped over the handle bars numerous times, stalled, etc.  it was a Honda 125 little thing.  I couldn’t even see the cones to swerve through, just had to use my instincts.  I did set my foot down once on the immediate right turn from a stop, but we both passed.  After one more trip to the DMV, there will be no more nervous looks in the mirror of over my shoulder.  I could have and should have taken the time to do this many years ago.  Back when I was dating my wife, I got pulled over with just my temporary permit and he basically told me to go home, he didn’t want to deal with me.  

In a way, they make it to easy to operate without an endorsement.  I can renew my tabs year after year, with a simple postcard letter threatening to tow my bike if I get pulled over.  No more are those days!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

midpack

nice! I got my license when I was racing enduros. had to borrow a bike that was actually road legal. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin

Passed my bike test at 16. Since then something like over 40 of various makes and sizes, have passed through my hands. Last one went 10rs ago.

Just as aside to amuse. At 17 I got my car provisional licence. One day driving home from town, dad beside me. Mother and sister in the back. My sister who had passed her test a couple of years previously, started winding my mother up. Saying I was driving too fast etc. etc. and set my mother off. I was only doing 40-45mph. I had a bike that would do 90.

Upshot was when we got to the junction on the edge of the village, they wanted to go into the village. I switched of the engine and got out. Dad said, "What you doing?" I replied, "Going home."  I was told years later, my sister got a right royal bollocking off my dad.

I never drove a car again for another 6yrs.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

CCW
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Passed my bike test at 16. Since then something like over 40 of various makes and sizes, have passed through my hands. Last one went 10rs ago.

Just as aside to amuse. At 17 I got my car provisional licence. One day driving home from town, dad beside me. Mother and sister in the back. My sister who had passed her test a couple of years previously, started winding my mother up. Saying I was driving too fast etc. etc. and set my mother off. I was only doing 40-45mph. I had a bike that would do 90.

Upshot was when we got to the junction on the edge of the village, they wanted to go into the village. I switched of the engine and got out. Dad said, "What you doing?" I replied, "Going home."  I was told years later, my sister got a right royal bollocking off my dad.

I never drove a car again for another 6yrs.

Love them backseat drivers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHNJ701

Raced dirt bikes as a kid loved it!! , at 17 i took my friends crotch rocket out for ride.  I parked it and never got back on motorcycle again, I knew I would get in trouble.  That's when I got into mustangs and quads.

• Like 2

8ntruck
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

Raced dirt bikes as a kid loved it!! , at 17 i took my friends crotch rocket out for ride.  I parked it and never got back on motorcycle again, I knew I would get in trouble.  That's when I got into mustangs and quads.

:text-yeahthat:

I had a Honda CB350 while I was in college.  Used it as a commuter tool.

A friend of mine had a Kawasaki KZ 1000.  I took it for a short ride around the neighborhood.  Grabbed a hand full of throttle, then took about three blocks to catch up with the bike to close the throttle.  That cured me from the super bikes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Stormin said:

was told years later, my sister got a right royal bollocking off my dad

Good. Sounds well deserved. 

:lol:

@pullstart nice work Sir! 

• Thanks 1

Zeek

It's easier (cheaper) to be legal. I got stopped on my first 80' KZ1000 for speeding/no insurance/no MC endorsement when I was 19. I decided to get it and have been using it ever since :auto-dirtbike:

• Heart 1

AMC RULES

Never would have guessed that about you Kevin.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Good to hear!

Started riding mini bikes at 4. Raced MX in high school...

Endorsement at 16.

More comfortable on a bike than a car... but, SE Michigan roads on a bike is, well... :scared-eek:

Still have endorsement but haven’t ridden on the roads for 30 years...

• Like 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Never would have guessed that about you Kevin.

It hasn’t been able rebellion, or anything like that.  I’ve taken the TIP test at the DMV multiple times, yet never followed through with the test.  In all honesty, they say you need a licensed rider to accompany you to the test... I’m not sure I know any close enough to ride with me.  I rode solo there and back, but the instructor wasn’t there to uphold that part of the law.  He was ex-law enforcement and I flat out told him I’ve been riding 15 years and wanted to do right finally.  He applauded my efforts.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

I hadn't had a bike for a while and in '73 decided to get a little Yamaha 360. If I had bought a year earlier the motorcycle endorsement would have been grandfathered in but I was a little late for that. At that time in New York State the road test required that you provide a vehicle and driver for the evaluator to ride in while observing your riding ability. I loaded the Yamaha in the back of my pick-up and headed over to a friend's house the day of my road test. As we pulled out of his driveway he commented that he didn't have much experience with stick shift so I let him drive to the DMV to familiarize himself with the truck. I did fine on my road test but my friend staled the truck twice.        :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

CCW
15 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

:text-yeahthat:

I had a Honda CB350 while I was in college.  Used it as a commuter tool.

A friend of mine had a Kawasaki KZ 1000.  I took it for a short ride around the neighborhood.  Grabbed a hand full of throttle, then took about three blocks to catch up with the bike to close the throttle.  That cured me from the super bikes.

Did something similar on a Bugatti  Turned that throttle and two blocks later I had the front tire back on the road.  Stuck with mild mannered road bikes for years afterward.  About five years ago my daughter's boyfriend came by with his Honda 750 road bike.  Took it for a ride and decided at the then age of 61 I should stay in a car.  Though I still have daydreams of riding again it will not happen.

• Heart 1

Lost Pup

Lucky I got mine when I was young. At 60 years now it just me and my Goldwing. In my local area they impound bikes and cars quickly, 

Now go out and get that first speeding ticket...:).

• Haha 1

edgro

And don't ever drop your cycle endorsement just because you don't own a motorcycle.... also Rumor has it michigan test was devised by a non rider. My wifes trainer told her this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

41 years ago, when I took the Michigan “test” it was in the SOS parking lot. It was:

Put on helmet.

Start bike.

Ride around lot once. 

Do figure 8 around some cones.

Stop bike.

Turn off bike.

Get endorsement.

If you can believe it, I passed! :eusa-clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
58 minutes ago, CCW said:

Though I still have daydreams of riding again it will not happen.

You and me both. I have been thinking of getting one of the smaller trail bike types, though I have been repeatedly told at 73, I won't bounce like I used to.

• Haha 3

edgro
5 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

41 years ago, when I took the Michigan “test” it was in the SOS parking lot. It was:

Put on helmet.

Start bike.

Ride around lot once. 

Do figure 8 around some cones.

Stop bike.

Turn off bike.

Get endorsement.

If you can believe it, I passed! :eusa-clap:

Same here, then dropped endorsement, 20 some years later had to take new test

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

I made marks in the driveway, weaving and whatnot.  I offset the cones 2 ft to make even harsher weaves, but they were straight in the test.  One thing I did not practice, but got me was the start and immediate right turn.

• Like 1

D_Mac

I rode for years without ever getting my motorcycle endorsement. One year my insurance company made a stink about it so I got a permit to shut them up. I am not a speed demon on the bike, figured if I was doing anything wrong they have no need to pull me over. Registration and insurance was always up to date. I went for the road test one time and the guy giving the test said that the trailer I rented, to bring the bike, from a rental place  didnt have the proper paper work. So he wouldnt let me take the road test. He was being a jerk. Never signed up for it again. Just rode without.

• Sad 2