oliver2-44

2020 Deer Hunting

Pullstart
3 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Kevin, I think you're doing it all wrong :text-bump:

IMAG5395.jpg

IMAG5394.jpg

So... now that I have a FEL, I can get a bigger deer?

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H
Just now, pullstart said:

So... now that I have a FEL, I can get a bigger deer?

Possibilities are high 🤔.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

That was the most antlered one I have ever taken to date.

Pullstart

The wind machine is kicking up to extra high gear and it’s hauling the rain in to Michigan with it.  I’ll sit in my stand as long as I can tolerate tomorrow, but don’t have super high hopes of success.  

WVHillbilly520H
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

The wind machine is kicking up to extra high gear and it’s hauling the rain in to Michigan with it.  I’ll sit in my stand as long as I can tolerate tomorrow, but don’t have super high hopes of success.  

Yeah, its supposed to come through here by 1:00...

Pullstart

Saw a 4 point this morning, big sized body and small rack.  No worries, let’s eat the meat!  It didn’t come close enough and stayed under enough grassy cover that I never got a shot on him.  He was about 40 yards from my Uncle’s buddy on the back fence row, but being on the ground he never even saw it.  The rain is pounding and wind is whipping, I was up in the tree with lightening and thunder too.  I’m gonna take a mid day hunter’s snooze and try again this afternoon.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Today is the first Sunday ever that archery hunting has been allowed in PA.     I took the day off and took Mrs K out for breakfast.       Back at it tomorrow.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

In my break from the tree, I dragged a dead tree top out of the road 1/2 mile away.  It sure is fun riding the gusts out!

3F774326-6116-4EC3-A481-BE4569B9B780.jpeg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 1

Pullstart

Today, It was dry but a steady 15 mph cold wind.  Now, real life happens again for a while.  It is still good to get outside, unplug a bit, see the birds and one deer running and flying... busy squirrels...

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yesterday was the first Sunday ever that archery hunting has been allowed in PA.     I took the day off and took Mrs K out for breakfast and watched my Steelers.

5:30- 9:30 this morning.     Birds, squirrels and one red fox.     No deer and none on the trail cam.   :confusion-shrug:     

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Even the deer are social distancing... :(

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Someone was able to find deer!  This is the line at a local processor, looks like early bird specials at Walmart on Black Friday!

I turned around just for pictures!

244F6322-E068-48CF-8CAA-92A6927E133B.jpeg

DE013ABF-3A8E-438F-AD03-EA5E6A39016F.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Took a couple hour off for a road trip.      I needed another 42" SD.      It had a roller attached.    I couple jumpers and a screwdriver and it started and purred like a happy kitty.

Looks like a new ign. switch and a drive belt and the roller will be a runner.

102_2409.JPG.b6dbc34281c87be6606d6b67725059b2.JPG102_2410.JPG.3d5064d702f727b1bf3e3b12360f552f.JPG

Back on topic and back in the tree this evening.....saw two doe.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

Brrr...36F this morning.    In the tree 5:30 -10.    8 horses, few squirrels and birds.  No deer.       Maybe this evening.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Not much news today.  The wind settled down a bit, but still a steady 10 mph with the occasional gust up to 15 or so, a rare occasion to have a 15 second still pause.  I heard three separate shots between 35 and 25 minutes before light, so though they were considered poaching I figured we’d have some movement today!  No other shots in the area until about 9:30.  I found my 2 sizes too big thick wool lined boots, so my toes stayed plenty warm today!  The rest of me froze and I gave up,  the wind is a killer, the deer don’t like it either.  I have had plenty of time to think of what I’d like to change about my field, maybe mowing more of the grass to control the movement, maybe planting trees instead of hoping various seeds grow on their own, etc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

I have a slew of tractors that haven’t ever dragged a deer off my property, they sure are ready for action!

• Haha 2

Pullstart

I’m not sure when, due to the bow and not a shotgun, but this was taken “near” my road, which is only about 3 miles long total. 

Quite a doozie!  These are the days, where when I’m doing chores around the house, I’m not too far away from a shotgun, the 450 or a muzzle loader!

8CC059E0-1BCF-4BDE-BAAD-23855359C28A.png

• Excellent 4

Pullstart

28 Degrees outside, virtually zero wind.  Perfect morning to plan a couple day rest on the field!   :(

There have been little to no signs of the rut in our area.  Dang COVID screwed up the deer too?  :ROTF:

8650A03E-52EB-4E21-B711-A3FAFDB36748.jpeg

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Air must be real still it's 28 in nj too

Ed Kennell

31F and 12MPH north wind this morning feels like 20F.          No tree sitting for these old bones ....maybe this afternoon.

Pretty sky Kev but , remember,

Red sky at night sailors delight

Red sky in morning sailors take warning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

31F and 12MPH north wind this morning feels like 20F.          No tree sitting for these old bones ....maybe this afternoon.

Pretty sky Kev but , remember,

Red sky at night sailors delight

Red sky in morning sailors take warning

I understand the wind and the trees Ed!  I was going to ask, what is your method of keeping warm?  With the added rain, I went long underwear and pants, then rain gear, then insulated Carhardt bibs.  On top, t-shirt, long sleeve t-shirt, rain gear, carhardt coat.  The rain gear helped to kill some of the piercing wind, but it still all saturated into the chill after a few hours of brutal whipping!

As far as the red sky, the south has had a record amount of hurricanes and tropical storms this year, I have a feeling it’s remnants of another storm blowing around.  The wind directions changed through the day and wind speeds stayed much more constant than not.

• Like 2

WHNJ701

Years ago there was an old permanent wood stand in the "v" of of big birch tree.  The way sat in it felt like you were in a j3 piper cub, everyone called it the airplane stand.  Once in it you couldnt fall out.  On the coldest days you would bring a sleeping bag to crawl in.  Never got cold in that stand.  Only downside is sometimes I fell asleep

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Two more work days till it's off to the north woods for the traditional nine day gun season. Sit in a stand and just relax. Maybe traipse the county forty with Dad's old Remington 742 chambered in '06. .30-06 is a real popular deer offering here, goes in WI like cheese, brats, old fashions  and friday fish frys! 

Cindy has some good chow lined up along with a big old turkey.

Biggest problem I see is no TV to watch Baltimore beat the Steelers Ed! :ychain: Don't know how I am going to handle no football on T day! 

I don't care if I see any deer just to be away from a nonstop phone ringing and no service truck is all I want! 

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Biggest problem I see is no TV to watch Baltimore beat the Steelers Ed! :ychain: 

Whaaattt...never heard of a CHEESEHEAD Ravens fan.    :confusion-shrug:

And I always root for the GB boys.    Bret and Aaron are a couple of my favorite QBs.

• Excellent 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Two more work days till it's off to the north woods for the traditional nine day gun season. Sit in a stand and just relax. Maybe traipse the county forty with Dad's old Remington 742 chambered in '06. .30-06 is a real popular deer offering here, goes in WI like cheese, brats, old fashions  and friday fish frys! 

Cindy has some good chow lined up along with a big old turkey.

Biggest problem I see is no TV to watch Baltimore beat the Steelers Ed! :ychain: Don't know how I am going to handle no football on T day! 

I don't care if I see any deer just to be away from a nonstop phone ringing and no service truck is all I want! 

Cripes alfrighty Jim you forgot Meat Raffles!

@Mikey the Monkey :ROTF:

• Haha 1