Oldskool

Project "Snow Drift"

Oldskool
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Hey what about checking with somebody in the logging industry??

That may be a possibility 

Achto
16 minutes ago, Oldskool said:

Is #50 more like dirt bike/ATV chain?

Yes, most street bikes that are chain driven use a 520 chain. 520 is equivalent to a #50. If you have a Tractor Supply near by you can get sprockets and hubs from them, you just need to weld them together.

As @ebinmaine mentioned Surplus Center is a great place with good prices. They will have a lot of the trinkets that you  may need for this build.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/ 

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Check on sprockets for number 60 chain online as well. 

Number 60 is fairly easy to get your hands on. 

• Like 2

Achto

I know that pictures have been shown but I thought some may like to see a video of the inspiration for this build.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

It looks like those screws are wound much tighter than 1 convolution though...

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, Achto said:

I know that pictures have been shown but I thought some may like to see a video of the inspiration for this build.

Thanks for putting that up. I kinda got caught up in the build and forgot to put it up.

• Like 1

Oldskool
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

It looks like those screws are wound much tighter than 1 convolution though...

If you look close at some pics you will see there is approx 6 on each screw. Each one makes 1 turn the length of the tube

Screenshot_20201018-183806_Google.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Tractorhead

Found another inspiration..

but if you like your life, don‘t try this on any Golf course.... 😂😂😎

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Oldskool

Here's a tag I whipped up at the beginning of the build. Something to go with the military theme.

20201101_195105.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Achto
2 hours ago, Oldskool said:

If you look close at some pics you will see there is approx 6 on each screw. Each one makes 1 turn the length of the tube

I agree that there are 6 screw edges on each toon, but I think that they are wrapped about 1 1/4 times. My reason for this thought is if I pick a straight line down the side I count 8 screw edges. This would mean that they are making more than a single wrap on the toon. It think will be much easier to figure your toons for a single wrap though.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Oldskool
27 minutes ago, Achto said:

I agree that there are 6 screw edges on each toon, but I think that they are wrapped about 1 1/4 times. My reason for this thought is if I pick a straight line down the side I count 8 screw edges. This would mean that they are making more than a single wrap on the toon. It think will be much easier to figure your toons for a single wrap though.

They seem to do a bit of a swirl on the cone end also. I think when I get one welded to length and start drawing on it in different markers it may show a bit better?

• Excellent 2

Oldskool

Under further investigation there seems to be 2 or 3 configurations of the screw drives. Maybe differant amounts of blades and differant amounts of twists. I also found this snippet 

Screenshot_20201111-193036_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Super cool stuff there.

We want to get upta Bradley and see the forestry museum sometime. 

• Like 2

Oldskool
Just now, ebinmaine said:

Super cool stuff there.

We want to get upta Bradley and see the forestry museum sometime. 

That sounds like a good time

• Like 1

Pullstart

I changed out some locks in the barn door yesterday and the soft wood screws had two distinctly different pitches to the threads... of each screw!  I am not sure why, but towards the leading tip, they were coarse.  Near the head, they were fine.  Figure out how that would help in the snow, and you’re the winner!

• Like 1

Tractorhead
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I changed out some locks in the barn door yesterday and the soft wood screws had two distinctly different pitches to the threads... of each screw!  I am not sure why, but towards the leading tip, they were coarse.  Near the head, they were fine.  Figure out how that would help in the snow, and you’re the winner!

Door opens outside?

Maybe they planed a higher load on the handle, than i can imagine to use the Door‘s in Winter as snowblades? 😂

Pullstart
Just now, Tractorhead said:

Door opens outside?

Maybe they planed a higher load on the handle, than i can imagine to use the Door‘s in Winter as snowblades? 😂

It opens to the inside, but is just for the latch.  I have seen a door used to plow snow though!  :ROTF:

• Haha 3

Tractorhead
4 minutes ago, pullstart said:

It opens to the inside, but is just for the latch.  I have seen a door used to plow snow though!  :ROTF:

But it sounds a funny idea.. 😂😂😂

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, pullstart said:

two distinctly different pitches to the threads... of each screw!  I am not sure why, but towards the leading tip, they were coarse.  Near the head, they were fine

I believe those are version of a self tapping screw. 

The coarse thread grabs the wood and sets the hole. 

The fine thread does the actual holding of the material. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Oldskool said:

That sounds like a good time

Sure does.

They have several of the Lombard log hauler type vehicles.

There's an old time board mill set up there that I think may be water driven?

Trina and I have talked at least a couple times about making a camping trip up to that area.

This fella has a YouTube channel that I follow. It comes out with short videos once or twice a week and many of them are at or related to that museum while they're doing maintenance or projects.

Recently they went up to somewhere in Aroostook county at an undisclosed location and saved one of the original Lombard designed gas engines from the woods. My understanding is that those are quite rare. As you can imagine it basically looks like a hunk of rusted not very much right now.

https://www.youtube.com/user/herbcrosby

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Oldskool
52 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Sure does.

They have several of the Lombard log hauler type vehicles.

There's an old time board mill set up there that I think may be water driven?

Trina and I have talked at least a couple times about making a camping trip up to that area.

This fella has a YouTube channel that I follow. It comes out with short videos once or twice a week and many of them are at or related to that museum while they're doing maintenance or projects.

Recently they went up to somewhere in Aroostook county at an undisclosed location and saved one of the original Lombard designed gas engines from the woods. My understanding is that those are quite rare. As you can imagine it basically looks like a hunk of rusted not very much right now.

https://www.youtube.com/user/herbcrosby

Very cool. I definitely have to go sometime 

• Excellent 1

Oldskool

The sprockets and hubs are on their way. I hope to make alot of progress on the build next week.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Oldskool

Getting back on track. Making a bit of progress today. Starting on the back screw drive supports

20201115_132740.jpg

• Like 3

Oldskool

And 1 of 2 supports for the back screw drive support

20201115_170607.jpg

• Like 2

DennisThornton
On 11/11/2020 at 8:15 PM, Oldskool said:

Under further investigation there seems to be 2 or 3 configurations of the screw drives. Maybe differant amounts of blades and differant amounts of twists. I also found this snippet 

Screenshot_20201111-193036_Samsung Internet.jpg

That somewhat addresses what I was going to enter:

I watched a similar but not as long video many years ago and I've seen adds from long ago.  But why did they just disappear?  Seems like an awesome idea but something must have been wrong?  Besides some safety issues that could be addressed.  I've seen snow falls that covered all but the windshield up on my truck!  Maybe there will be a kit available soon for my WHs!