mic575

Advice on a new tractor

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Bg are to mow no doubt about it 417A with 48 inch deck.  417 has a series 2 KT 17 good smooth power and hydro for max speed efficiency.

That's kind of the direction I was thinking. Would that have the heavier duty 1100 Eaton hydro?

ebinmaine

@pfrederi

Paul do you know how the wiring system or reliability of the electronics in a 417 would compare to the other two tractors?

is a 417 actually going to be just as simple except for one extra plug wire?

As you know everything we have is a lot older and hand wired by me so I don't have any comparison to go by. 

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@pfrederi

Paul do you know how the wiring system or reliability of the electronics in a 417 would compare to the other two tractors?

is a 417 actually going to be just as simple except for one extra plug wire?

As you know everything we have is a lot older and hand wired by me so I don't have any comparison to go by. 

Actually as I think about it 417a didn't have the idiot lights.  So there are no electrical issues.  just the normal PTO seat switch issues.  Eaton 1100.  Other two option listed don't have the power to run a 48" deck in heavy grass at reasonable speeds.  C-125 might be in 1st on heavy grass.. too slow for me...

• Like 1

JCM

I have had very good luck with the 312-8 with either a 42'' or 48'' SD deck since new in 1989. Never have cut wet grass with it and keep it under a 3'' cut. The 312 can mow the yard 3 times before a fuel fill up and the 417-8 uses close to a full tank on one mowing. Both machines run at 3/4 throttle. Love the 312 but the sound of that Kohler Twin is music to my ears. Both GREAT tractors and both do have idiot lights that have a mind of their own when it comes to working.

Jims Camera uploaded 2019 Nov 236.JPG

P1012025.jpg

Edited by JCM
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
4 hours ago, mic575 said:

You all have convinced me of the value of a Wheel Horse.  

So if I need a strong mower for 3-4 hour mowing sessions in some moderately heavy grass.  I'm going for something that won't break too easily.

Which would you want?

a C-125

a 417A

a 312 hydro

3-4 hour mowing sessions ?

bigger is better 

not too familiar with 417A - but my guess is it would be the better option 

will be able to handle a 48" deck better and cut more grass quicker

tom2p
3 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Actually as I think about it 417a didn't have the idiot lights.  So there are no electrical issues.  just the normal PTO seat switch issues.  Eaton 1100.  Other two option listed don't have the power to run a 48" deck in heavy grass at reasonable speeds.  C-125 might be in 1st on heavy grass.. too slow for me...

agree 

mic575

Thanks for the opinions all.  Very helpful!

• Like 1