formariz

Tiny but important.

Achto

I just have to say that your skill with wood is simply amazing & the fact that you use so many hand tools just blows me away. :bow-blue: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

formariz
7 hours ago, Achto said:

I just have to say that your skill with wood is simply amazing & the fact that you use so many hand tools just blows me away. :bow-blue: 

Thank you. All due to a lifetime of learning but mostly having the opportunity and good fortune to be surrounded by talented people who cared. The only credit I really deserve is the fact that I always knew a good thing when it was in front of me and never let that moment go to waste.

• Like 5

rmaynard

There is an old saying “judge a man by the work of his hands”. I don't know who to credit for that saying, but it certainly is true here. I have always been impressed watching the craftsmen in the wood shop in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia working with the same types of tools.

Caz, you truly are following in some wonderful footsteps.

Edited by rmaynard

formariz
On 10/7/2020 at 6:56 PM, rmaynard said:

There is an old saying “judge a man by the work of his hands”. I don't know who to credit for that saying, but it certainly is true here. I have always been impressed watching the craftsmen in the wood shop in Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia working with the same types of tools.

Caz, you truly are following in some wonderful footsteps.

Thank you Bob. I appreciate that. Spent also many weeks in Williamsburg over the years. Its a ritual mini vacation for us at least every two years.

• Like 1

Razorback

That is beautiful work, and I love old tools.

rmaynard
11 hours ago, formariz said:

Thank you Bob. I appreciate that. Spent also many weeks in Williamsburg over the years. Its a ritual mini vacation for us at least every two years.

We honeymooned there in 1972 and have been back many times since. We were last there in April 2018. I was very disappointed to learn that the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation was having severe financial problems, and that many of the reenactors had been let go, and several demonstrations and shows had ended. 

formariz
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

We honeymooned there in 1972 and have been back many times since. We were last there in April 2018. I was very disappointed to learn that the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation was having severe financial problems, and that many of the reenactors had been let go, and several demonstrations and shows had ended. 

Yes it is sad that it has also happened to them. We spend a few 4th of July's there and it was just awesome. I always found it a little odd that they don't charge admission to actually get in there. Anyone can go in but if you did not buy an admission pass, one cannot go into the buildings which have reenactments. That eliminates a very large source of income.I am a member of the Society and the financial woes became evident several years back as they started reducing the member benefits drastically,one having to donate much more in order to get back only a few of the perks. Its one of our favorite places to be and I hope that they can get their stuff together. Unfortunately there is also a lack of interest and education for our history among our young people. As well as I know that place every time I go there not only I learn something knew but I also notice many new and different architectural detail in many of the buildings. That place has been a great source of inspiration and ideas in my work over the years, many of them used through out my residence.

echris

@formariz

Your woodworking skills and detail work is just insane! I've always loved finish carpentry, I'm not a carpenter, but the skills of mating two different pieces of wood together flawlessly has always fascinated me.

20 years ago I redid all the molding in my kitchen and dining room. The previous owner had built the cabinets and did quite a nice job. I added cove, crown, chair rail and base molding.

My favorite part is the returns. For someone with my skills, it might take 10 times before I get the return right, but I love doing it!

Like this tiny return on the 1/2" cove below. I guess I glued it in? I don't even remember. :lol:

MVIMG_20201017_201519.jpg.5ed31825bb3b19d6503d3cee5bf54598.jpg

And this return on the chair rail. It's not perfect, by I have no idea how I was able to cut that out without breaking it. I'm going to assume I used a coping saw. Very gently. :lol:
MVIMG_20201017_201322.jpg.61ca4033577d7e1b551c7cc3c5d6f1d0.jpg

I really appreciate your craftsmanship. Keep posting pics of your work please!

And try and take some kid under your wing if you can. Pass that knowledge on!

• Excellent 1