Greentored

1964 Simplicity Landlord

Greentored

This Horse addiction has me interested in one and only one brand, but the style of these old Simplicities always caught my eye. Traded a good running K301 for this over the weekend- a 64 Landlord 9hp. Its pretty much complete and (supposedly) ran 2 years ago. It spins over and has good compression, the driveline is free. I know zero about these machines, but was told to check the bevel gearbox before ever making a deal, and its in super condition, spins free, and very little slop.

Plans are to fix it up and let it go, but if it proves to be a nice machine, it may hide in the corner if it gets along with the Horses. Any info on these would be greatly appreciated!

sim1.jpg

• Like 4

Pullstart

They do look pretty cool!  I have as much experience as you Scott, maybe less now that you’re into one.  @Achto might know a bit about some stuff... @jabelman, @Stepney too?

• Like 2

Stepney

Yes.. watch the gearbox and it's oil level religiously.. I feel like some of the older ones had some adjustments to make in the differential too. Been a minute there though. Hope you don't have any mice in the shroud, it's a pain to remove. Otherwise they were a decent old rig as long as you took care of them. Nice find. I wouldn't be opposed to one like that again some day. 

• Like 2

WHNJ701

It looks decent and all original, probably just the points need to cleaned up

They are neat, I sold off all the simplicity stuff, someday I may buy another one.  They really don't seem to hold much resale value compared to other brands of that era. 

If that was mine, I would get it running smooth, give it a real nice patina detail and only paint the rims.  I think it would look pretty sharp.  Maybe add a cyclops light to it and change the out the rears to a 6-12 ag 

• Like 2

Achto

1964 was the first year for the Landlord and only year to have a black dash. Not much change in basic design for a long time after this model came out.

Like stated above the bevel gear box is usually the weak spot on these tractors. With the tractor in neutral, flip the seat up & turn the front pulley ( the one that has notches for a rope start ) both ways until it stops / catches the engine. An 1/8 turn or less of play is great, up to 1/4 turn is still considered usable. All of the parts to rebuild the bevel gear box are still available but a bit pricey.

If you have spark issues, the Briggs is easy to convert to solid state ignition.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Club rules ......Everyone has to have and oddball or 2 in his herd! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Lane Ranger

I always liked the Simplicity Landord models and the Broadmoor models!   They were a great lawn tractor!

• Like 3

WHX??

One of Dan and my buddies has one set up for plowing and it does well. 

20200426_132454.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
41 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Club rules ......Everyone has to have and oddball or 2 in his herd! 

I think we can all agree that I am my own oddball. 

Nice find on that SimpleCity Scott.

• Haha 2

Greentored
1 hour ago, Achto said:

1964 was the first year for the Landlord and only year to have a black dash. Not much change in basic design for a long time after this model came out.

Like stated above the bevel gear box is usually the weak spot on these tractors. With the tractor in neutral, flip the seat up & turn the front pulley ( the one that has notches for a rope start ) both ways until it stops / catches the engine. An 1/8 turn or less of play is great, up to 1/4 turn is still considered usable. All of the parts to rebuild the bevel gear box are still available but a bit pricey.

If you have spark issues, the Briggs is easy to convert to solid state ignition.

I 'eyeballed' a spot on the rope start pulley and used the fender as a reference point, and can only move the pulley 1/4" before it catches the engine. Guess I lucked out there!

• Excellent 2

D_Mac

I put a Wheel Horse seat on my " ole Broad " . Didnt help, once you sit down on it you can tell it isnt a Wheel Horse !

20200804_125022.jpg

• Like 1

charging10

I have a few of those, but mine say Allis Chalmers, enjoy

• Thanks 1