snowhound

Traction in the snow

ebinmaine

Ya buncha 200 pounders.... Liteweights...

:P

• Haha 1

Rfp55

I tried to read all but maybe missed something; if by "pavement" you mean asphalt - no steel chains period or you"ll reseal yearly. If your driveway is concrete sections - steel chains with enough weight to eliminate spin is fine. Depending on degree of steep, and length, you may want to consider only plowing downhill. Returning up empty not dealbreaker as you won't push or blow too good uphill anyway without wheelspin. It's the same with large tractors, you can move double the amount going downgrade.

• Like 1

ebinmaine

@DennisThornton. @WVHillbilly520H 

Jeff has been using the first one, OTRs.  I'll let him chime in but I get the impression he's been very impressed.

I don't have personal experience with them but reading some about them there is a good indication that the difference in angle of the center tread helps traction. 

DennisThornton

I searched the site and read through all of this thread and I gather Jeff is fond of the OTRs.  Thought maybe I could revive this topic.  If I'm really needing traction then the TC35 with it's industrial tires comes out and as a result I don't own any ag tires!  I'm starting to see that as a character flaw that perhaps I could correct.  

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I searched the site and read through all of this thread and I gather Jeff is fond of the OTRs.  Thought maybe I could revive this topic.  If I'm really needing traction then the TC35 with it's industrial tires comes out and as a result I don't own any ag tires!  I'm starting to see that as a character flaw that perhaps I could correct.  

We use those r4s on some of our forklifts and I don't prefer them for mud or sand.

Good old-fashioned original ag bar R1 tread is where I've gotten the best grip.

Just like a lot of other subjects this one is really based on an individual's needs and experiences.

For us in our yard chains are the only way to go on snow and ice. 

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

We use those r4s on some of our forklifts and I don't prefer them for mud or sand.

Good old-fashioned original ag bar R1 tread is where I've gotten the best grip.

Just like a lot of other subjects this one is really based on an individual's needs and experiences.

For us in our yard chains are the only way to go on snow and ice. 

You are dead on!  The R4 are really durable, not hard on the lawn but not the greatest for traction BUT with chains and 4wd it will pretty much climb trees!  Can't beat chains!

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

Dennis here is a thread I stated long ago starting with Deestone style AGs and ending up on the OTR and yes for my money I am very impressed so far as @WHX24 for use on a "plow mule", myself on steep sloping grass , gardening in clay soil, and snow removal plow/blower liquid filled with iron weights here to report NO need of chains as of yet (ice may be the the only downfall to come) ... I'll let you be the judge from my experiences. Also let me say I do believe the Carlisle TruPower are an excellent choice as well but comes at a bit higher price, then there's the Firestone 23° but yet again pay a premium too.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
18 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

r4s on some of our forklifts and I don't prefer them for mud or sand.

16 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

The R4 are really durable, not hard on the lawn but not the greatest for traction

I'll third that ... got a pair on a tractor that, just for hoots, I hooked a field plow on and they didn't fare well. No weights or loaded tho so that might have helped. I was going for the cool look on this and the price of the tires was almost the four letter f word. 

20190516_114212.jpg

• Like 1

DennisThornton
40 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I'll third that ... got a pair on a tractor that, just for hoots, I hooked a field plow on and they didn't fare well. No weights or loaded tho so that might have helped. I was going for the cool look on this and the price of the tires was almost the four letter f word. 

20190516_114212.jpg

I think they are a great all round tire that is not great at much.  

Horse Newbie
On 10/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, AMC RULES said:

Beet juice...filled tires all four corners.

Beet juice as in the vegetable ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Yepp. 

Rimguard is a fluid weight which is made of beet juice. 

I use it and recommend it. 

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Don't get a lot of snow in Charlotte/ Monroe NC ( practically SC ), so my snow plow/ dozer blade may hardly ever see it...

But you can bet your bottom dollar if 1/2 inch hits the ground I'll be on my Horse...lol :lol:

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Don't get a lot of snow in Charlotte/ Monroe NC ( practically SC ), so my snow plow/ dozer blade may hardly ever see it...

But you can bet your bottom dollar if 1/2 inch hits the ground I'll be on my Horse...lol :lol:

You jump in the car and bring ya tractor to Maine. We'll let you plow out the front yard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

cschannuth

I never use chains on my steep concrete driveway and I’ve never had an issue. I don’t let anyone drive on the driveway before I plow. That prevents packed snow and allows the blade to completely clear the snow. That, in turn, improves the traction of both the front and rear tractor tires. And yes, the neighbors think we’re crazy for driving through the yard when it snows to keep from packing the snow on the driveway. Haha 

C09C755E-F8C4-430A-86B1-13689B263BBF.jpeg.4f6a2fb8686724ea9ac6a3c629564268.jpeg6EE93E84-7136-4796-AF69-5A2C958ED0A6.jpeg.08e9411f5f883aa80cc07c2fc1e869b0.jpeg2E363DA9-58AF-4328-872A-B236ED01C13C.jpeg.c75d9297decb5bcec6868adf4d6ac13a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

Horse Newbie
On 10/4/2020 at 11:36 AM, AMC RULES said:

Beet juice...filled tires all four corners.

Horse Newbie

Don't know why this site repeated what I said farther up the thread when I tried to leave this comment, and I hate to be sliding (get it?) off topic , but I'm gonna paint my wheels like @cschannuth...white, then add my hub caps which I am also gonna have powder coated.

See how much snow we get... I have to veer off topic to comment :lol:

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1