Jump to content
TractorChild97

308-8 Axle seals

Recommended Posts

TractorChild97

I recently got the 308 up and running with some 80w 90 oil replacing the old nasty oil in the tranny. I have been using it around the prpperty for about a week now and I noticed the left axle has a slow drip. Overnight there was a small puddle under the axle. I found some seals on eBay but all they say is 1" Toro wheel horse axle seals and I'm not 100% sure if thats the right seal. Sorry for the ancient axle seal question. I dont intend to keep the forum repetitive. Thanks for any help guys.

 

And the model number and id number was gone before I got the tractor so sorry I cant help there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
pfrederi

Check out the pinned topic top of this forum.  Bearing and seal cross reference

  You want SKF  9815

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

I honestly dont understand how to use that chart to help me find the seals I need. Can I possibly get a link leading to the seals? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
gwest_ca

Between 1985 and 1993?

Click on the picture to see the applications for this model.

Garry

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

20201003_140716.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
gwest_ca

I think it was 1986 when they painted the 308 all red.

Garry

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
1 hour ago, TractorChild97 said:

I honestly dont understand how to use that chart to help me find the seals I need. Can I possibly get a link leading to the seals? 

There isn't really a link because the seals you need are right in the front page. 

 

You have a 308-8 of unknown model. But you DO know you have 1" axles. 

Easy to find the ones you need. 

 

Look at the pdf charts on the page. 

Scroll down to the 3rd chart which shows info for 6 and 8 speed transmissions. 

The top half of that chart is for 1" axles as seen in the text. 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20201003-182322~2.png

  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
C_hasbeen
2 hours ago, TractorChild97 said:

20201003_140716.jpg

Is this tractor used for adventures in the mud? 

  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, C_hasbeen said:

Is this tractor used for adventures in the mud? 

You could say that. 👍 I do property work. Pull around brush. Hauling creek rock. Its in about every type of terrain here in the holler. Sometimes I'll take them over the ridge to see family. Or back woods. 

Edited by TractorChild97

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

There isn't really a link because the seals you need are right in the front page. 

 

You have a 308-8 of unknown model. But you DO know you have 1" axles. 

Easy to find the ones you need. 

 

Look at the pdf charts on the page. 

Scroll down to the 3rd chart which shows info for 6 and 8 speed transmissions. 

The top half of that chart is for 1" axles as seen in the text. 

 

 

 

 

Screenshot_20201003-182322~2.png

Okay thanks! So I can search the vendor number to find the seals I need? Or just search for 1inch axle seals for my model wheel horse? I dont mean to annoy yall, I just have no idea how to find this. I am not even that familiar with the internet in general. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

Guys I apologize. I didnt see the website link right in front of me. :mellow:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
10 hours ago, TractorChild97 said:

Okay thanks! So I can search the vendor number to find the seals I need? Or just search for 1inch axle seals for my model wheel horse? I dont mean to annoy yall, I just have no idea how to find this. I am not even that familiar with the internet in general. 

Search by 

 

Skf 9815 and you'll find a bunch for sale. It's a very popular number for many applications. 

Fleabay has them as low as $7 something each, shipped. 

 

One thing to consider is that the hubs of your tractor can be a real @#$_&-+()/ to remove. 

Take out your set screws and start applying your favorite penetrating fluid. TODAY. Should be 2 screws on each axle hub. Do NOT use a 3 jaw puller. Best to use an old hub to set up a proper 5 bolt puller. There are threads on here that show pics. @953 nut might have a pic handy of one using a jack. 

Be patient with it !!!    It took 35 years to freeze in place and it likely won't move in just a few minutes. Heat is your friend. 

It's an easy enough job.

 

Just. Be. Patient. 

  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
C_hasbeen
14 hours ago, TractorChild97 said:

You could say that. 👍 I do property work. Pull around brush. Hauling creek rock. Its in about every type of terrain here in the holler. Sometimes I'll take them over the ridge to see family. Or back woods. 

If you turn the front tires around they will give better steering in the mud since they are not pulling.   Old farm trick 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
953 nut
11 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

There are threads on here that show pics. @953 nut might have a pic handy of one using a jack.

 

bottle jack hub puller.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

20201004_174422.jpg

  • Excellent 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

I think I'm going to try to make something like 953 nut posted. I applied a small amount of pressure with my jack and added some oil on the hub. I just left it that way, I'm going to pick up some pb blaster and spray it down. I actually dont have a torch so I'm gonna have to wait it out I reckon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97

If y'all think the jack will work and not damage the hub I'll go for it. But I'm not sure how much abuse these hubs can handle, I dont know what there made of so I dont want to hammer on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

I respectfully disagree with the PB. I've not had good luck with it and stopped using it. 

Wd-40 company makes a decent penetrating oil. (NOT traditional wd-40). 

Good old Liquid Wrench old formula is also excellent. 

Kroil is very good but pricey. 

 

Search atf and acetone as a combo. Never tried it but I understand it works well. 

 

Richard @953 nut has recommended (parafin??). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine

I'd HIGHLY recommend using the 5 bolt setup as seen above. 

Your jack is awesome and will give you a great advantage. But pulling on only 2 or 3 points is asking for trouble with cast iron. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I respectfully disagree with the PB. I've not had good luck with it and stopped using it. 

Wd-40 company makes a decent penetrating oil. (NOT traditional wd-40). 

Good old Liquid Wrench old formula is also excellent. 

Kroil is very good but pricey. 

 

Search atf and acetone as a combo. Never tried it but I understand it works well. 

 

Richard @953 nut has recommended (parafin??). 

Iv never heard of these. I'll give pb a try and if I have no luck I'll definitely check some of those out. About how long should I wait in between pulls and spraying some penetration oils? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'd HIGHLY recommend using the 5 bolt setup as seen above. 

Your jack is awesome and will give you a great advantage. But pulling on only 2 or 3 points is asking for trouble with cast iron. 

Thank you its a jack that hooks up to an air compressor. It aint been used all that much so I'm gonna play it safe and do it by hand. Honestly I'll probably just use the jack to add some pressure while I make the 5 lug puller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, TractorChild97 said:

. About how long should I wait in between pulls and spraying some penetration oils? 

Almost impossible to say.  

 

Best bet without heat is to keep constant pressure. 

My normal habit is to heat and spray alternately. Getting the hub super hot is a huge help. 

 

If you do end breaking the hub don't get too awful worried about it. 

They're readily available. 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
TractorChild97
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Almost impossible to say.  

 

Best bet without heat is to keep constant pressure. 

My normal habit is to heat and spray alternately. Getting the hub super hot is a huge help. 

 

If you do end breaking the hub don't get too awful worried about it. 

They're readily available. 

 

 

 

I'll be keeping you updated on everything.  It surprises me these hubs are still available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Bill D

I bought those seals thru Rock Auto.  Best price around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
ebinmaine
6 hours ago, TractorChild97 said:

I'll be keeping you updated on everything.  It surprises me these hubs are still available. 

I believe they're available new but they are pricey. Most of us get a good used one. Or two. Used hubs are pretty easy to find. 

Trina and I have enough tractors to maintain and we're building several more so I keep a few hubs on hand knowing I'll want them at some point. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...