WHX??

Transmission Locked in Third

WHX??

At a tractor show last weekend I was unable to get the 1055 out of third gear, :confusion-confused: a 5049 three speed. 

No neutral no reverse no nothing but third.

Real pain as the only way to stop and dismount was to kill the engine. I didn't want to force it due to possibly making things worse so just ran it as is till it could get in the shop. 

Got it in the shop and pulled the shifter and easily found the H neutral with a big screwdriver. Reinstalled the shifter and all was well. 

I think what happened was the 1st/reverse shift rail slid over just enough to block the the 2nd/3rd rail from moving but yet was not in two gears at once. 

This is a really rough sounding tranny that I put back together from a real mess so the gear mesh is somewhat sloppy but she is what she is. Figured good enough for the women we go out with. :)

I got this tractor set up for a little @Racinbob speed so makes the noise worse. 

Don't remember if I put the detent stop pin in the spring or not but thinking the spring is a little weak or the detent balls are worn?? It shifts almost a little too easy into gears.

Sorry no pics... :hide: but these before and after cleanup. 

20181104_180754.jpg

20190106_171516.jpg

20181113_181808.jpg

Edited by WHX24
speeling & gramma
  • Like 7

Pullstart

No way, you were driving in that shape?  I imagine that came from the deep sea!?

WHX??
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

No way, you were driving in that shape

No tranny was locked up. Sat out side for many years with this for a boot. 

20170601_172213.jpg

20190113_110308.jpg

20181107_171227.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

Racinbob

That sure cleaned up nicely :thumbs:

• Like 2

WHX??

Thank you Bob. Lots of (enjoyable) work but I think my lesson learned here is tho always use new detent springs and balls. Only things new were bearings/seals and Lowell's 3rd gear. I have been having a problem finding the springs. Hardware store ones were either too stiff or too soft. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Ya got me thinking about those springs. I found the p/n (3518) and did a bit of searching with no luck. But in the search it looks like a good bet might be a gunsmith :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

This is a really rough sounding  a real mess  somewhat sloppy but she is what she is. Figured good enough for the women we go out with. :)

Livin right on the edge there Madge.     :teasing-tease:

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

Did you etank the gears?

WHX??
13 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Livin right on the edge there Madge.     :teasing-tease:

Always Ed Always... story of my life :lol:

5 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Did you etank the gears?

No... bench top grinder with a wire wheel & by hand with a small wire brush. Cases blasted 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Great job!

The blasted case Looks really good, but maybe better in Red.

do you paint it or powder coat?

WHX??

Paint

20190302_181800.jpg

• Excellent 1

C_hasbeen

well when I took mine apart I did see about as gunkie as your interior was also, my detent steel balls were pitted and out of round so I went to Lowes and they had some, I got the 1/4 inch size I believe one in a package and not very expensive.  I do not remember for sure but I think I used the original spring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

This is where my stupidity comes in hasbeen ... quite common for .25 ones at any hardware store. I plead the fifth on wanting to keep things original .... but who's gonna know anyway?!?! Some guy 50 years from now who takes it apart and says someones been in here before?!?:lol:

No doubt it's  a weak spring after tooling around on it tonite. Just havta watch the speed shifting I guess from here on out. 

Edited by WHX24

C_hasbeen
8 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

This is where my stupidity comes in hasbeen ... quite common for .25 ones at any hardware store. I plead the fifth on wanting to keep things original .... but who's gonna know anyway?!?! Some guy 50 years from now who takes it apart and says someones been in here before?!?:lol:

No doubt it's  a weak spring after tooling around on it tonite. Just havta watch the speed shifting I guess from here on out. 

I know where one of my old ones is in a drawer,  if you want an original I can put it in an envelope  and it is yours for free.