dells68

Mr Toad’s wild ride

dells68

I’m not Mr Toad,  it close.  I was on my way to the barn to work a little and was pulling a cart with a generator in it.  I was on my Ford 165LGT.  Got started down Dad’s driveway.  About 75 feet down I heard a pop in the hydrostatic transmission and away I went - FAST!  There was no way to stop the tractor and with about 250 feet of slopes driveway left, I had to decide how to stop it.  I decided to cut into the bank on the right side of the driveway.  The old Ford immediately began climbing the band and started into a barrel roll.  I jumped off to the left as best I could.  Next thing I know, I’m on the ground trying to roll away from this 1,200 lb tractor as I saw it tumbling toward me.  Somehow I managed to avoid having it on top of me.  It stopped just short of me with gas draining from the tank upside down.  Da and Emory came and finally got me up and above the gas flow coming at me.  From there I laid on the ground a few minutes.  I finally got in the Jeep, only to pass out and come to with Emory banging on me yelling he’s dread.  He later said he was trying to do CPR.  I made it to the house and kept getting more and more sore.  When I finally decided to go get checked the local urgent care insisted I go on to the ER.  After hear tests, IV, pain meds, anti inflammatory meds, and a CT scan I got to come home.   Now I’m sore and it hurts to move - 2 days later.  Luckily they didn’t find any broken bones, so I guess I did ok for an old guy.  I still have an annoying popping in my chest and a hamburger side, but I’m alive!  I don’t know what turned loose in the hydro drive, but that sucker is on its way to the junk pile!  I am going to pull the 16 horse motor for my C125 that has been giving me problems before I junk her though.  No picks of the wreck, but here is the tractor - doesn’t look too bad for the tumble it took.

48BB6434-7ECF-4DFC-BBBB-105E36FB52AE.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 9

JAinVA

That wreck looks bad enough. I am sure you hurt all over, but as you are aware, it could have been much worse.Glad you are well enough to tell the tale.Luck,JimAnderson

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Good to hear your safe, prayers your bruises heal quickly.

• Thanks 1

rmaynard

Glad you are okay. I don't like hydro's with hydro-only braking. What happened to you is the reason I am putting mechanical brakes on the 875 that I got for the grandkids. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dells68
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

Glad you are okay. I don't like hydro's with hydro-only braking. What happened to you is the reason I am putting mechanical brakes on the 875 that I got for the grandkids. 

I agree totally Bob.  After that ride, I’m not sure how much I’ll ever trust a hydro again.  It was still in gear when we turned it back over to move it out of the road.  Now it will roll easily in low range without resistance on the rear wheels, so I know it was something internally that let go.  At least with a heated tractor, if they pop out of gear, you still have a brake to apply.  Curious how you’re planning on putting mechanical brakes on that 875?

• Like 1

WHNJ701

Glad your ok, you might want to pull the mower deck parts.  They have some value on ebay

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Glad you are ok. I have first hand experience rolling a tractor. I didnt make out as well. Broke my right arm in a hundred pieces. To this day I get all nervous if I am on any kind of incline. You got very lucky my friend, count your blessings.

• Thanks 1

Stepney

Oh the irony..

Some years ago, I was on a '74 Ford LGT145, coming down my grandparents driveway with the mail one night. Same 'pop' and it took off. Coming off the driveway would have surely rolled it, and I took it straight through the garage door and half way through a wall into the basement.. Ill have to dig up that picture. 
Mine somehow bounced out of high range and the service brake only worked while you were in either range..

Good to hear your OK. 

• Like 2

JAinVA

In the late 80s I took my 5 year old daughter for a cart ride behind my c120-8. We were going down a steep incline in the yard and something in the transmission let go.If she wasn't in the cart I would have bailed.I had no choice but ride it down.No one was hurt but I never had her or anyone else in that cart again.The only reason I am telling this is to let you know that some of the manuals can fail leaving you with no brakes as well.

• Like 1

oldredrider

Dell, that really sucks. Glad you made it out ok. May you heal quickly.

Guessing you'll never look at the blue oval the same...

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut

Get well Dell and be safe, I know the feeling, my mishap last year was also an unexpected thrill ride but I fared much better than you. 

• Like 1

rmaynard
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

Curious how you’re planning on putting mechanical brakes on that 875?

@kasey54 had an 875 that someone has put these brakes on, but he said the tractor wouldn't stop with them. I think that it was not going into neutral when the brake pedal was depressed. So he removed them and I got them. I haven't had a chance to do anything with them at this point. I will do a thread as soon as I start. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

@dells68 Sorry to hear about your wild ride and the ER , hope you get better soon.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Dell, I’m glad to hear you’ll be able to walk it off!  Have Becca give Emory a big ‘ole hug for me for doing what he could and maybe more than he could imagine with an adrenaline kick to save his father!  I suppose my accidental poke in the hand yesterday is nothing compared to your spill.  Rest up, get well soon!

• Thanks 1

dells68
19 hours ago, pullstart said:

Dell, I’m glad to hear you’ll be able to walk it off!  Have Becca give Emory a big ‘ole hug for me for doing what he could and maybe more than he could imagine with an adrenaline kick to save his father!  I suppose my accidental poke in the hand yesterday is nothing compared to your spill.  Rest up, get well soon!

I don’t know Kevin, I think both were pretty bad.  I keep having a pop in my right collar bone and wonder if it’s not fractured and they couldn’t see it in the scan.  I’m really tired of all this soreness and pain.  Our basement flooded this afternoon and made matters worse. I had to move furniture to get ready to remove a water soaked area rug.  Luckily Becca was home in time to help with that chore.  I’m really sore after all of that!!

• Sad 4

dells68

I keep reaping the benefits of my little detour last Tuesday.  Since getting off my muscle relaxers, I’ve started having a popping in my right collar bone area.  I finally went to urgent care for x rays this afternoon.  Not broken thank goodness, but the first rib is now popping where it joins the breast bone.  Dr says it may always do this - boy I hope not!  Today has been my worst day for pain with my right shoulder neck area getting very stiff.  Not to be outdone, my bruised left side and ribs have gotten their most tender yet.  Honestly, I didn’t realize that I had hit the ground that hard!  My old body doesn’t recover nearly as well as it once did.   This is going to take a while!!

• Sad 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

my bruised left side and ribs have gotten their most tender yet.  Honestly, I didn’t realize that I had hit the ground that hard!

On 8/13/2020 at 3:09 PM, dells68 said:

I finally got in the Jeep, only to pass out and come to with Emory banging on me yelling he’s dread.  He later said he was trying to do CPR.

:confusion-confused:                 May need to ask Emory about some of those bruises.                :ychain:

Tractor | Shaped cards, Get well cards, Cards

1616004097_gettingold.jpg.1ca1365ce2a73680301714c6492acba9.jpg

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH

Yikes!

Just seeing this thread...

Hope you are on the mend and doing better!

Good reminder that these things may be small but they are still machines capable of much - including injury...

Take Care.

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Dang Dells. Sorry to hear this. Glad you are up and around. Hopefully the pain will subside and you can get back to normal. I have several bones that pop if I move a certain way. Guess it’s all part of getting older. I wish you the best my friend.

• Thanks 1

dells68

I’m getting there guys.  I’m getting around pretty good now, but my ribs on the left side that took the impact are still sore and I’m bruised pretty good.  I just keep on keepin’ on.  I’m surprised how many people have had similar things happen.  Size doesn’t matter - this one could have crushed me if it had landed on me.  No doubt in my mind the man upstairs was there looking out for me!!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

rjg854

So happy to hear you're on the mend Dell

• Thanks 1

dells68

Felt pretty good yesterday and had to grade Dad’s driveway and bush hog about 8+ acres.  Found out real quickly that I’ve still got some sore parts inside!!  Rattling around on that tractor reminded me I’m still mending.  At least I was able to do it and felt like it!

• Like 1