chompinthebit

701 restoration

Achto

Nice job on your resto. Hopefully mine will look that good when it's done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
7 hours ago, WHX24 said:

This I did not know...... interesting. I think what makes a 701 the most interesting tractor, to us :wh: nuts anyway, is that they were the first in a few things for the Ponds back then so is was definitely a learning curve for them.  I mean look at how the rest of our round and even square hoods evolved from the 701. 

Has anyone ever seen one?  

mike lewis

Beautiful tractor. What color did you paint the wheels. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??
On 8/14/2020 at 2:37 PM, Achto said:

Nice job on your resto. Hopefully mine will look that good when it's done.

Yours and mine both! :D

On 8/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, jabelman said:

Has anyone ever seen one?  

You lost me ther Jason ...which doesn't take much.... seen one what?

• Like 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Yours and mine both! :D

You lost me ther Jason ...which doesn't take much.... seen one what?

Did he say both the throttle and choke were on the left side of the dash plate?

sqrlgtr

NICE!!! Great looking tractor.Love my 701 will try to get some pictures in next day or two.Do yall think the 701's dont cut as deep as others or is it just my particular tractor?

• Like 1

WHX??
On 8/14/2020 at 11:33 AM, chompinthebit said:

The dash should be just plain. The dash the way I have is proper from all the research I have done. The only difference is that in the manual you will see the orientation of the throttle and choke different because originally they had them both on the left side. After the dash’s started breaking from all the stress put on them from pulling the cables they went to the orientation like I have them on my 701. There are a handful of originals out there with the other orientation but very few. The ameter with the black bezel and 0-15 amp range is also proper.

if you have any questions when you go to donyour restoration please feel free to ask. I have done pretty extensive research on these 701’s and own pretty much all the literature out there for them.

Sounds like you now our expert now on 701 restos. Any chance you a pic of the throttle and choke left side?My resto leaves little to go on here. Any chance you know about this? A spring loaded collar under the tank/dash. Original or PO or dealer fix? 

20200823_174135.jpg

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Beautiful!

:notworthy:

• Like 1

chompinthebit
On 8/21/2020 at 7:39 PM, mike lewis said:

Beautiful tractor. What color did you paint the wheels. 

The wheels were powder coated, I’m not sure what the color was called as I used sample chips to pick it

chompinthebit
On 8/24/2020 at 7:52 PM, sqrlgtr said:

NICE!!! Great looking tractor.Love my 701 will try to get some pictures in next day or two.Do yall think the 701's dont cut as deep as others or is it just my particular tractor?

I’m not sure about the cut honestly because I’ve never mounted a deck on mine (I should since I have 3 decks) but they should be very similar to the later decks as they were close in construction.

chompinthebit
On 8/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, WHX24 said:

Sounds like you now our expert now on 701 restos. Any chance you a pic of the throttle and choke left side?My resto leaves little to go on here. Any chance you know about this? A spring loaded collar under the tank/dash. Original or PO or dealer fix? 

20200823_174135.jpg

So so here is a picture of a brochure showing the throttle and choke on the left. I have seen it on a couple very early 701’s but don’t have a picture handy of a tractor with that setup.

I also have never seen a spring under the tank...... I’m assuming someone did that so they could realign the wheel if they jumped a tooth but it seems dangerous to me to be able to lift the steering shaft up away from the fan gear while driving.

8A6BA64D-2BBA-4DED-BC3E-0BC3A1C1D1F8.png

• Thanks 1

sqrlgtr
5 hours ago, chompinthebit said:

I’m not sure about the cut honestly because I’ve never mounted a deck on mine (I should since I have 3 decks) but they should be very similar to the later decks as they were close in construction.

Oops should have been more clear in my  post .I was referring to the steering not cutting as deep.The only other round hood I have to compare it too is a 551 suburban...

Achto
2 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

Oops should have been more clear in my  post .I was referring to the steering not cutting as deep.The only other round hood I have to compare it too is a 551 suburban...

If you are referring to the turning radius, your right. A round nose :wh: with the engine in the front does not seem to have a very tight turning radius. All of my square nose tractors turn much tighter than my 701 or 753. My 400 Suburban has a very tight turning radius.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 2

chompinthebit
2 hours ago, Achto said:

If you are referring to the turning radius, your right. A round nose :wh: with the engine in the front does not seem to have a very tight turning radius. All of my square nose tractors turn much tighter than my 701 or 753. My 400 Suburban has a very tight turning radius.

4 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

I agree with the both of you, sorry for the misunderstanding there.... the turning radius is much less on especially the 61 701 and 62 tractors. With the redesigned axle in 63-64 it seems to get much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
10 hours ago, chompinthebit said:

lift the steering shaft up away from the fan gear while driving.

My thoughts too. There were a lot of bad repairs on the rest of the steering gear as well. 

That literature looks interesting, If you would be kind enough to forward copies of what you have to Garry @gwest_ca for adding to files here we would all appreciate  it. 

One more thing where would the serial number sticker be located? 

WHX??
5 hours ago, sqrlgtr said:

steering not cutting as deep.

Yes the steering on my 702 has the turning radius of a lumber wagon and has the identical gear of a 701 save of course the fan gear and support. 

55 minutes ago, chompinthebit said:

redesigned axle in 63-64 it seems to get much better.

Agreed

chompinthebit
3 hours ago, WHX24 said:

My thoughts too. There were a lot of bad repairs on the rest of the steering gear as well. 

That literature looks interesting, If you would be kind enough to forward copies of what you have to Garry @gwest_ca for adding to files here we would all appreciate  it. 

One more thing where would the serial number sticker be located? 

The SN sticker is located under the dash, I  attached a picture of the layout. If you need measurements I can get them for you. I measured my original stickers and placed the new ones in the same exact location.

ACC2B1FE-3000-4B8B-911D-F18E561230E6.jpeg

• Thanks 1

WHX??

I was afraid you were going to tell me that looks like this one is missing. Just have to make up a number  I guess so I will eventually need that size. 

Noticed your before and after hood decals are different? 

20200823_080138.jpg

WHNJ701

That before pics, the hood logo look hand painted

WHX??
34 minutes ago, jabelman said:

That before pics, the hood logo look hand painted

I thought it looked '65 ish??? 

20190516_114404.jpg

5D01AF9A-15F3-44E8-A69E-837AD7059280.jpeg.f52b9889bebbadbfb3a7dfa5b8d59b50.jpeg

chompinthebit
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

I thought it looked '65 ish??? 

20190516_114404.jpg

5D01AF9A-15F3-44E8-A69E-837AD7059280.jpeg.f52b9889bebbadbfb3a7dfa5b8d59b50.jpeg

Yea the before pictures have the wrong decals. It was pretty common actually. I have an rj also with the same decals on it i think some dealers offered to repaint the tractors and put new decals on (that’s my theory) since I’ve seen a bunch with these same decals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chompinthebit
2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I was afraid you were going to tell me that looks like this one is missing. Just have to make up a number  I guess so I will eventually need that size. 

Noticed your before and after hood decals are different? 

20200823_080138.jpg

I can get the measurements for you anytime, you could also put N/A or something on the decal if you don’t know the number. I got my decals from redoyourhorse.com

WHX??
5 minutes ago, chompinthebit said:

also put N/A or something on the decal

Wife's birthday or anniversary,  never forget that way! 

7 minutes ago, chompinthebit said:

decals from redoyourhorse.com

Always... that is my favorite early sixties decal 

20180513_165455.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

chompinthebit

I added a set of NOS cultivators to my 701 for a show this weekend.

6D178E9F-750E-4201-938D-7324412FB694.jpeg

345E4932-81B5-42C5-B703-9FC56575F57D.jpeg

A4AA9FEF-5493-4ECD-9659-21568FEB8DEA.jpeg

82CBB5FE-24D7-4270-9F16-D63F7896AEA2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

That does look really good!

• Thanks 1