Dan.gerous

Converting to diesel

Dan.gerous

Not much progress with so many other projects on the go at once, however I have found an engine that should be perfect.

Was on the fence about using a new Chinese engine, however this little Yanmar L100 turned up. It needs an exhaust and airbox but is a runner - it came off a pressure washer. The Chinese engines use this one as a pattern so a lot of the cheap stuff fits it, exhaust etc if I don't want to spend a fortune on genuine Yanmar stuff.

The guy is going to hold it until I get back from this stint at work, its cheap at £200, and its not far from where my new 416-8 needs to be picked up.

That's all the boxes ticked....just need to somehow sneak it past my wife.

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Yanmar 10 HP diesel engine in Pudsey, West Yorkshire Gumtree(1).png

Screenshot_2020-08-14 Yanmar 10 HP diesel engine in Pudsey, West Yorkshire Gumtree.png

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Thanks for the present that turned up in the post the other day @JoeM
That is incentive to get my ass into gear!

IMG_20200924_155844.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Better blow the dust off this thread in preparation for some  use. 

I should find out tonight if a Yanmar L100 will be mine 🤔  

It's about a 10 hour round trip to get it, but Marie is nearly convinced that making it into an overnight break is worth it to stop me pestering her!

Fingers crossed, as that would be a huge step in the right direction for the much delayed conversion project.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Dan.gerous said:

Marie is nearly convinced that making it into an overnight break is worth it to stop me pestering her!

:ROTF:

You just keep working on that big guy.....

• Haha 2

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I'm trying my best!

Disappointed at how long this has been stalled for :-(

Dan.gerous
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I could tell her that you guys are expecting results, not just daydreaming... 

My status on the forum is at stake!!

• Haha 4

EB-80/8inPA
4 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Well you can go ahead and tell her that if it’ll help, but speaking from my own experience, the expectations here can’t be all that high.  All I do is post nonsense and I’m still here, ffs.

• Haha 2

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Well you can go ahead and tell her that if it’ll help, but speaking from my own experience, the expectations here can’t be all that high.  All I do is post nonsense and I’m still here, ffs.

I was trying to make you guys sound like important pillars of the community.

She saw straight through it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

EB-80/8inPA
Just now, Dan.gerous said:

I was trying to make you guys sound like important pillars of the community.

She saw straight through it!

She’s probably been lurking here and knows better.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
51 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

No worries Mr man. I have a project only 3 years in the making..... It'll be a good long time before that one is done. 

39 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

important pillars of the community

Yepp. 

That's me..

Mr pillar. 

• Haha 1

Dan.gerous

So, woke up this morning to find the guy had sold the Yanmar L100 - thanks a bunch!

Anyway all is not lost as there are other options.

What are peoples thoughts on the slightly smaller L70? I think it's 8hp compared to 10hp.

Will that be enough? There are plenty of them available, and quite near to home.

Still undecided on using one of the manual gearboxes or auto - this machine will eventually host the FEL and Backhoe.

Hopefully the next seller will be a bit more reliable. Main  thing is I am still in the hunt.

• Sad 2

ebinmaine

Do you know what the torque spec is on the 8 HP diesel in comparison to the gas engines?

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

Still undecided on using one of the manual gearboxes or auto - this machine will eventually host the FEL and Backhoe.

FWIW, I never operated an FEL but my inclination, knowing how I work other equipment, would be toward hydro with foot pedal motion control to free my hands for steering and bucket controls.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Achto

:text-yeahthat:

I'm not usually a big fan of a foot controlled hydro. But I much prefer them on a loader tractor.

• Like 3

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, Achto said:

:text-yeahthat:

I'm not usually a big fan of a foot controlled hydro. But I much prefer them on a loader tractor.

3 hours ago, Handy Don said:

FWIW, I never operated an FEL but my inclination, knowing how I work other equipment, would be toward hydro with foot pedal motion control to free my hands for steering and bucket controls.

Certainly all the tractors we have are foot controlled. I imagine using the 8 would get tedious fast.

I guess the hydro wouldn't take any benefit from the diesels torque, but the briggs engine is toast on that one so it's the logical donor machine.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you know what the torque spec is on the 8 HP diesel in comparison to the gas engines?

Oh, no idea, easy enough to get the Yanmar L70 specs though.

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

@ebinmaine

The specs for the smaller L70.

It's just under 7hp, but how much thar would matter, I don't know.

Screenshot_20220510-185710_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Handy Don
49 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

It's just under 7hp, but how much thar would matter, I don't know.

Frankly, many WH 6's, 7's, and 8's did (and continue to do) very respectable work until the customers cried "more". I think you'll be fine.

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
4 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Frankly, many WH 6's, 7's, and 8's did (and continue to do) very respectable work until the customers cried "more". I think you'll be fine.

The 12hp petrol units seem to be pretty handy with good deck sizes, never needed more so far.

Might have a lead on another 10hp not far from the last one.....

It's academic at this stage as trapped at work until next week anyway!

JoeM

Just ticking around and making some comparisons. I did find this torque chart for an Eaton 11. Output torque seems to fall off when underpowered. 

A quick look at two different engines gas vs diesel in the same HP (6). The diesel will produce 30 percent more torque in the same rpm range, and that would allow a more stable rpm value in the smaller engine in grunt mode.

I think if the price is right it is worth a try, but if possible I would hold out for the larger engine. Knowing what your going to use the machine for Dan it is going to do some real work. :twocents-twocents:

image.png.5eec5860ae83f9807c2b1838763cda6f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, JoeM said:

torque chart

VERY interesting

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

Just ticking around and making some comparisons. I did find this torque chart for an Eaton 11. Output torque seems to fall off when underpowered. 

A quick look at two different engines gas vs diesel in the same HP (6). The diesel will produce 30 percent more torque in the same rpm range, and that would allow a more stable rpm value in the smaller engine in grunt mode.

I think if the price is right it is worth a try, but if possible I would hold out for the larger engine. Knowing what your going to use the machine for Dan it is going to do some real work. :twocents-twocents:

Hi Joe,

Yeah I have to agree, another 10hp will be available so I dont have to rush to buy the smaller one today and the prices seem to be about the same on the used market. Shame I can justify a new one!

Thanks for taking the time to look through the specs, and with all the additional hydraulic loads for FEL etc probably better to wait. Could try the smaller engine on one of the C125s at some point as they would only be towing a trailer or running the mower deck.

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

VERY interesting

Yeah its great how people dredge this stuff up for discussion, amazing how much you can learn on here.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

JoeM
56 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Thanks for taking the time to look through the specs

No problem!

I suppose I should have added the factor of the machine weight. With the FEL and counter weight,  torque at the rear tires can get ate up pretty fast. Throw in a slope and more power is necessary.

We all can relate to a loaded truck on a grade slowing down traffic.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1