tallen4392

Throttle linkage

tallen4392

Does anyone know if this setup is correct seems very sloppy does that spring belong there or should  it be solid linkage that is where it seems wrong can’t find any pics of the setup. Thanks

934C9790-83C5-4BD4-8050-3E7B1DAEA1A5.jpeg

15F40E04-4CF5-4476-8808-E8510523BEEB.jpeg

B5D12EAE-EB5F-4403-A429-A9B4028BA5C9.jpeg

gwest_ca

Looks correct.

The throttle tries to increase rpm through the spring and the higher the throttle setting the more pressure it applies to the spring.

The governor tries to reduce rpm and the higher the rpm the more force it develops to reduce the rpm.

The balance of those two forces is the rpm result.

Garry

Kohler Max RPM tab.jpg

• Like 3

tallen4392

Thanks the issue I am having is when the throttle is at 3/4 and I try to go up a hill the machine just slows down and the rpm drops it should scoot up the hill with no problem my little c81 has no issue I am just trying to figure this out was going to use this auto instead of the  c81 this winter  for pushing snow but I have my doubts about it doing the job something is not right with it. Thanks again

peter lena

TALLEN4392, in addition to settings , i have found that increasing cable mounting points , https://www.google.com/search?q=throttle+cable+,+clamps&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=Nrm-6whvEauQlM%2CWWCC7AsiAonTJM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRC8uCynxnuz2Hg3W4JZbFp5hN4-w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjptciYlP_qAhXMneAKHSVhCLMQ9QEwDHoECAEQNg&biw=1024&bih=625#imgrc=Nrm-6whvEauQlM  can really make your ,well lubricated ,cable work with a solid smooth ease. i have detailed every lever  AND  SLIDE CABLE MOUNT, OFTEN A, ADDING WASHERS AND BETTER MOUNTING CLIPS . just my own experience , pete

• Like 1

tallen4392

Thanks  it is just very odd my it slows down like that if that it how it is going to workout it  will never push snow like my dependable  c81 I just wanted to try a automatic  Oh well I’ll keep tinkering with it

pfrederi

Have you adjusted the governor.  Also have you attached the throttle cable yet??

gov1.JPG

gov.JPG

• Like 2

tunahead72
28 minutes ago, tallen4392 said:

... the issue I am having is when the throttle is at 3/4 and I try to go up a hill the machine just slows down and the rpm drops ...

When this happens, does the throttle lever slip down?  What happens when you get back on level ground?

gwest_ca

If your throttle control is falling back to a lower rpm position the cause is the exrta pressure the spring and governor are exerting on the cable. The friction at the throttle control lever is not enough now due to wear and age.

Many of us replace the pivot rivet in the lever with a bolt that has about 1/4" of shank that is not threaded. Add enough flat washers to allow a Nylock nut to add the tension required to hold the lever in position. You can use two wrenches to reach in and adjust to your liking.

Garry

• Like 2

peter lena

gwest , good pick up on that , agree with you on an adjustable tension , often , a problem is hiding in plain site , pete

tallen4392

Thanks I will try a few things and see what happens 

tallen4392

I bought this with carb parts missing so I put new carb on does this threaded linkage rod have to do with the governed is there a correct way to adj it

B1D74DD5-F859-4F65-A702-C58680FE8B33.jpeg

gwest_ca

From an early Kohler service manual

After it is installed the governor adjustment is required.

Garry

Kohler throttle linkage 72SM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

tallen4392

I still cannot get this right I must be missing something  this thing will rev way to high the engine would blow if I open the throttle all the way don’t want to do that    But on my c81 I can crack the throttle all the way no problem that is what I use the last 4 years to push snow throttle wide open I would like to use this auto charger 12 if I can get it to run right I might have to bring it to the small shop in town don’t really want to but  I am scratching my head on this one  any ideas 

gwest_ca

Take a close look and see if the governor arm clamp is stretched and not providing sufficient holding power.

Garry

Kohler Max RPM tab.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

Thanks Garry @gwest_ca, you have just taught a full semester of Governor 101 in one post.              :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

tallen4392

Thanks for all the tips there is a great video on YouTube how to adj the governor on a k series Kohler it took about 5 min very simple when you can watch someone do it seems to work better   Thanks again