D_Mac

Troy-Bilt Rototiller Help

D_Mac

I am going to start a new thread on this. Picked it up at a garage sale. I know nothing about tillers. Figured I would give it some love and fix it up some. Ordered a new carb for the 3.5hp Tecumseh. Going to change fuel line, change oil, change plug, new air filter and the engine will be good to go. I cant find a ID number anywhere on the tiller. I know its a Junior from the sticker but I dont see any like this one with the square cast iron gear housing for the tines. It also has a cast iron transmission housing for the wheel drive. I would like to change oil in both and not sure what to use in each. Can anyone help me out?

20200729_141701.jpg

20200729_141707.jpg

20200729_141720.jpg

20200729_141728.jpg

20200729_141754.jpg

20200730_164024.jpg

20200730_164029.jpg

20200730_164041.jpg

20200730_164052.jpg

20200730_164032.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 4

tunahead72

I don't know anything about the Junior model, but if it's anything like the Horse, the serial number will be stamped on top of the transmission housing, just above the axle.  If you don't get any information from anybody else, I'll check my notes in the morning and see if I can find anything more useful.

These guys might be able to help:

@cafoose

@Lee1977

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

For anything gear drive like that, I bet you can’t go wrong with 80/90 gear oil :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bds1984

I second the 80/90 like Kevin says, plus I just serviced out my Troy-Bilt Bronco tiller with that earlier this year with zero issues.  Most importantly, good luck on getting the Tecumseh engine running right!  These little guys are great for working up ground that has already been worked.  My Bronco definitely earns its name if you're trying to workup new ground!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72

I'm afraid I can't add much more than I already mentioned.  I looked through all my Troy-Bilt brochures and notes, and found nothing useful on the Junior model.

You may be able to find more information on the Troy-Bilt site (www.troybilt.com).  They've changed their site since the last time I visited this past May, and I couldn't find some things just now that I found then, so you may have to give them a call if you don't find what you need.

There's also a couple of parts sources that have background information on the older tillers:

Chalmers Industries (www.chalmersindustries.com)

Custom Parts (www.custompartsinc.com)

I hope any of this helps, good luck!  These older Garden Way / Troy-Bilt tillers were built like tanks, and are well worth the effort to get them running and working well again.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Well I will go out there soon. I have some gear oil left over from the Lambert I will just use what I have. Might be heavier then 80/90. I will also look around for any numbers stamped anywhere. Like I said this little guy is built very well. Heavy Duty. All cast iron. I will put the same oil in both gear boxes. Anyone put a value on it? 50, 100 , 150 , 200 ? whats it worth fixed up?

• Like 1

oldredrider

They bring about $350-$400 in my area, if they run well.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

They bring about $350-$400 in my area, if they run well.

Wow ! even these smaller ones? I dont see many around here this size. I see the larger ones selling for 450 - 900 depending on condition. Guess we have to wait and see how it comes out when I am done with it.

oldredrider

Since the pandemic, many more people have gotten into gardening and consequently, driven prices up. Even cheap, old tillers are selling for $125 and up.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Well the only numbers I found were stamped on the tube frame. 29415. I googled it and nothing. The tiller gear box had those numbers on it. Cant really make them out. Well I changed the oil in both gear boxes. Each seemed pretty low. I thought I would throw some paint on it so I did. Came out OK. Paint kinda orange peeled a bit but looks a lot better. I decided not to paint the tines. Waiting for the carb. When it comes in I will do the engine work and finish it off. I have decals ordered as well. Still would like to know model # and what year it was made.

20200731_142741.jpg

20200731_142540.jpg

20200729_141701.jpg

20200731_173510.jpg

20200731_173625.jpg

20200731_173636.jpg

20200731_173706.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 3