8ntruck

Pickle Relish

8ntruck

We don't have a garden this year, but did stop by the local produce stand and picked up some pickling cucumbers.   I'm posting here 'cause it has to do with garden produce.

We ran a batch of sweet pickle relish today.  Got 8 1/2 pints.  They are currently on the cooling rack going 'pop' as they cool.  Used the cast iron grinder of extreme age to grind them.  I think it dates back to the early 1900's.

20200719_162422.jpg

• Like 3
  • Heart 3

SylvanLakeWH

YUM! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  It is better than any that is available in stores.

• Like 1

D_Mac

No recipe? 4 things I love .... hot dogs, mustard, onions, and relish !

• Like 1

Skwerl58

Enjoy the relish. Our garden has given us more than normal this year. We made sweet relish, sweet pickle spears and bread & butter pickles. Three nights ago the deer got in over six feet of fence and wiped out our green beans and are enjoying the tomatoes. I cut up two bars of soap yesterday and put out to try to stop them. Sweet corn is coming in as well as peppers and the sugar baby watermelons will be in soon. 

8ntruck

1 peck of pickling cucumbers

1 green pepper

1 red pepper

4 or 5 onions

1 tsp turmeric

1tsp celery seed

2 tbs yellow mustard seed

5 cups sugar

5 cups vinegar

1/2 cup canning salt

Grind & mix cucumbers, peppers, and onion. Mix with salt. Let stand covered for 3 hours.

Mix and bring to boil vinegar, sugar, turmeric, celery seed, and mustard seed.  Drain liquid from cucumber, pepper, and onion mix.  Add to vinegar mix and boil gently for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Can in hot jars, seal and let cool.  Some also use the hot water canning process after sealing the jars.

@Skwerl58 - so, your house smells like cucumbers, same as ours.  Had to open windows this morning and run the whole house fan for a while to fix that.

• Thanks 1

Skwerl58

That is the same recipe I used. I love that smell, it hands around for Abit but ahh, I love it.