budman2

workhorse 16hp briggs&stratton

budman2

Hey guys I need some advice or input on an engine! I bought a workhorse that has a nice deck and body but the engine is shot! Can anyone tell me if the engine is worth rebuilding, and some one that does it? or are they worth rebuilding? I have a nice 16 onan engine that would probably fit it but when it comes to the wiring I am lost!!!!! any and all advise would be greatly appreciated, Thanks robert (budman2) Galena Oh

Stepney

The Briggs Twin is a smooth engine but like Onans they are known for valve seat issues.. I just basically gave away a running 18hp out of a GT1848. 

Converted mine to a 14hp Kohler single, better on fuel and just about the same power. Your biggest hangup would be a few wires. I've never swapped an Onan in or out of anything, but if it was WH spec it should fit no problem as the GT is basically a 400 series. 

• Like 3

budman2
3 hours ago, Stepney said:

The Briggs Twin is a smooth engine but like Onans they are known for valve seat issues.. I just basically gave away a running 18hp out of a GT1848. 

Converted mine to a 14hp Kohler single, better on fuel and just about the same power. Your biggest hangup would be a few wires. I've never swapped an Onan in or out of anything, but if it was WH spec it should fit no problem as the GT is basically a 400 series. 

The kohler single cyl seems like a good option to me! I have had good luck with the kohler engines! Thanks, will consider that one! robert (budman2)

• Like 1

Stepney

IMG_6325.JPG.ab66cdbfa406ea51bdba1ed3b8581e47.JPG

Think, in all, I had to change the engine pulley and race, since the Briggs shaft was smaller than the K321. Muffler lined up fine. New regulator and key switch and away we go. It's been great. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

budman2

Looks like a good fit! Going to see if I can find a good 14hp kohler! Thanks robert (budman2)

Goldnboy

Like Stepney  said the kohler  fits in easily, just change your pto hoop and the bottom pto mount support that bolts to the frame. You will also need to buy new choke and throttle cables and shorten them  to correct length unless  you find used from a 312 with kohler. I did the conversion  this spring 20200530_080913.jpg.ba01d57c7a2fb9823200f4e101c1a8c3.jpg

20200504_070350.jpg

Edited by Goldnboy
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WheelhorseBob

Very nice conversions! My first Horse was a 1642 with the twin cylinder Briggs motor. Was my mowing and snow removal Tractor for many years and ran very well. I really liked it but I'd bet those motors aren't cheap to rebuild. Stepney, tell me about that leaf vac, I need one!

• Like 1

budman2

Looking good, how much of a pain is it to rewire? I recognize some of the parts but not all? Thanks guys for the ideas! robert (budman2)

Goldnboy

Rewiring is easy  if you go by this forum diagram.  You can choose your own colors too!20200426_173640.png.a7e19a511ac8310599ad52fb361110b5.png

Edited by Goldnboy

Sparky

I bought this GT-1600 already converted to a Kohler Magnum 10. 
EFB7B563-41C7-4E44-81B0-4DADC2BB7289.jpeg

6E9E2B3D-5940-47CB-A99A-23CF58E68C79.jpegDDEE6DCF-1316-40F2-8953-BDF5F08EB652.jpeg

03DB14B0-FD15-42A3-8D06-C4F06C4C41F8.jpeg

37A039D4-A352-4E10-87CD-F1CC19D02DB5.jpeg

• Like 3

budman2

Hi again! is that wiring diagram for the magnums only! Thats what I want to put in it a magnum! Thanks in advance for any and all info, sorry I am an idiot when it comes to the wiring!

pfrederi

No the wiring  diagram two posts above is NOT for Magnums.  

budman2

OK thanks! budban2

Bill D

Take the wire going from the Briggs engine to the headlight switch and put it on the unused A terminal on your key switch.  The rest of the wiring is the same.  Just the kill wire and a wire from the rectifier for charging.  Very easy swap with a Kohler Magnum.  Garry  @gwest_cashould have a wiring diagram for the GT 1642.   I just swapped an M16  in a GT 1142 which has the same wiring.  Make sure your ammeter connections are tight and clean or eliminate the ammeter all together.  If you keep the ammeter, install LED headlights to reduce the current thru the ammeter.  A voltmeter can be installed in place of the ammeter. The wiring is different, but not hard to do.  Bill

Edited by Bill D

budman2

Bill you make it sound easy, I wish you where closer to where I live, I would gladly pay you to do it! my pea brain doesn't deal with the wiring to well! Thanks robert (budman2)

Bill D

Robert,

Here is the diagram for your tractor.  Instead of an hour meter use the A terminal to power the light switch.  If you were closer I would gladly fix it for you.  Bill

Tractor 1983 WorkHorse LT GT OM Wiring Color.pdf

budman2

I finally found a good 16hp kohler, old school engine though, with point condenser, and coil for the tractor!, I have it installed, fit great, but now come the wiring thing I think the first picture of thw wiring diagram is for the older kohlers, is that correct? Thanks in advance! robert (budman2)

• Like 1

Bill D

I would buy a wiring harness for a 1985/86 314-8.  Very simple and easy to install.  Garry @gwest_ca has the diagram you need if you want to build one or modify your harness.  I have never tried swaping from magneto to points using the existing harness, but it is doable, I'm just not sure exactly how to do it.  Going from a powered ignition to magneto is very easy. Bill

tom2p
On 7/18/2020 at 5:39 PM, Sparky said:

I bought this GT-1600 already converted to a Kohler Magnum 10. 
EFB7B563-41C7-4E44-81B0-4DADC2BB7289.jpeg

6E9E2B3D-5940-47CB-A99A-23CF58E68C79.jpegDDEE6DCF-1316-40F2-8953-BDF5F08EB652.jpeg

03DB14B0-FD15-42A3-8D06-C4F06C4C41F8.jpeg

37A039D4-A352-4E10-87CD-F1CC19D02DB5.jpeg

one of my fav tractors on this forum !

• Heart 1

Stepney
On 7/17/2020 at 10:38 AM, WheelhorseBob said:

Stepney, tell me about that leaf vac, I need one!

Not to derail the topic, but to answer the question. The trailer and some of the unit is original WH from the late 60's, was a canvas top originally. The home made tin top replaced that. Originally was PTO driven off the tractor but that was also long gone and it had a small Tecumseh for power.. original blower unit was tired so it got a 80s era John Deere blower with a Kawasaki, which bolts right to a plate and hooks to the rear plow hangers. The deck boot is off a 32" WH A81 rear engine rider. The rest is parts. 

budman2

I bought the whole tractor the 416-8 speed just to get the engine from it! Can enyone tell me why I need a voltage regulator on this work horse as the newer 416-8 speed tractor does not use a voltage regulator! don't get it! thanks again robert (budman2)

pfrederi

If the newer Tractor has a Magnum the Regulator is mounted on the front near the top of the flywheel shroud,

budman2

no its not that damn new! it is not a magnum just the old k341 16hp snigle cyl kohler!  I guess I will try and figure it out ! thanks anyway budman2

pfrederi
34 minutes ago, budman2 said:

no its not that damn new! it is not a magnum just the old k341 16hp snigle cyl kohler!  I guess I will try and figure it out ! thanks anyway budman2

Then your engine may have the unregulated 3 am system.  No regulator.   Head lights ran off AC from the stator and only worked while engine was running

budman2

That could be! as I can't find a regulator anywhere on this 416-8 tractor! Thanks robert