Ben N

Help identifying this?

Ben N

Hey everyone! I'm relatively new to Red Square and this is my first post so bear with me here. Can someone help me identify this electrical componenet? The guy I bought this C-85 from jacked up the wiring and I rewired the entire thing but I still have no clue what this is. Its located just to the right of the steering colum behind the battery. Thank you! 

IMG-1207.JPG

IMG-1206.JPG

IMG-1205.JPG

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

I will guess it is a Briggs & Stratton voltage regulator or rectifier.

What circuits do the wires connect to?

What engine does it have? Numbers?

Model and serial numbers for the tractor?

Click on the picture

Garry

Ben N

@gwest_ca Wow that would be strange. It had a Kohler K341aqs that the guy jerry rigged on there. The original engine is a Kohler 8 horse K181 that I have reinstalled. I'm not sure the serial number at the moment, I might be able to get it later but I'm assuming its something the guy installed aftermarket. I already hooked up a correct kohler voltage regulator so if that is what it is I wouldn't need it either way. Thank you so much!

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Wheel Horse did use a 2-wire regulator 1982-1984 but have never seen one.

It will be interesting to see the model numbers you have.

Garry

2-wire regulator.jpg

squonk

I was thinking it looked like a transistor/diode wooby-dooby thingy.

Ben N

Garry, now that you send that it does look exactly like that. There was a three way plug exact to that one on the stator wires but I thought it was something the guy rigged up so i cut it off haha oops. I'll send the serial i do beleive its an 83 so that would check out. 

IMG-1242.JPG

gwest_ca

It is a 1982 model.

Build date 1981 1346 December 12 Saturday

Garry

• Like 1

Ben N

Oh man thank you. I'm sure that it's a two wire voltage regulator then. Thats something huh? I wasnt even aware they made those. You don't happen to have any wiring diagrams for that voltage regulator lying around do you?

gwest_ca

i found out by accident that a regular 3-wire regulator will work with 2 wires if one of the AC leads is connected to the DC+ terminal. One of the AC terminals is connected to the DC+ inside the regulator so that is the one that can be eliminated by connecting an AC lead to the DC+.

You can see the jumper (loop) in the illustration from the parts list.

No wiring diagram so don't know which lead on the regulator is the DC+ but other members with one of these will know.

Garry

Ben N

All right thank you so much I appreciate the edvice! 

SPINJIM

There is a NOS one listed on ebay right now as a Toro Wheel Horse Rectifier for $100, so I hope you don't have to replace yours.

Jim

• Sad 1

gwest_ca

Looks like the top single cavity has the DC+ red wire with one of the AC yellow connected to it.

Garry

Regulator 15 amp 109313 SS2.jpg

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Ben N

Thank you again Garry that's just what I was looking for. Also thank you SylvanLake!

• Like 1