ebinmaine

How do you mask off a tire to paint the rim if there is NO space between rim and tire?

ebinmaine

I have a set of Carlisle ag/bar tires that actually stick out past the lip of the rim. It's called the rim guard feature. Makes it so I can't use the playing card trick.

To complicate matters I cannot deflate these tires a little because they are liquid-filled and tubeless.

Is there a masking tape that sticks to rubber?

Is there a different tape?

I've read about some people using some sort of smear and then you wipe it up after. Chassis Grease? Vaseline? Other chemicals?

Sarthurs01

get a deck of playing cards and slide them around the bead over lapping the cards

squonk

Vaseline or grease. Liquid masking fluid , rubber cement. Or clean the sidewalls real good with brake cleaner and good 3m auto body tape

• Like 2

bottjernat1

Best way to do it. Have your local tire place dismount the tires. it isnt that much and you will be happy you did.

Dan.gerous
Just now, bottjernat1 said:

Best way to do it. Have your local tire place dismount the tires. it isnt that much and you will be happy you did.

They are really easy to take off by hand, breaking the bead is the only hard part. Just use a vice, clamp, make a quick bread breaker or drive over the wheel edge with your wheelhorse.

I change the tyres on the car by driving over the edge to break the bead, then just use two bars and plenty of lubricant - dishwashing liquid is fine. It takes a while to perfect the technique but it's pretty quick once you have it sussed.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Rub the sidewall with Vaseline. Spray your rim. Wipe off Vaseline. Done

• Like 4

squonk
4 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Rub the sidewall with Vaseline. Spray your rim. Wipe off Vaseline. Done

And do not use Vaseline in your hair for the 50's greaser dance. You'll need GoJo smooth hand cleaner to get it out! 

(This happened to a friend in college! ) :)

• Haha 5

Herder

I start with deflating the tire, then use masking tape around the bead and then tape news paper around the tire.  Paint away.  I've tried most all of the ways listed above and find this one works well for me.  :mellow: 

• Like 2

bottjernat1
9 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

They are really easy to take off by hand, breaking the bead is the only hard part. Just use a vice, clamp, make a quick bread breaker or drive over the wheel edge with your wheelhorse.

I change the tyres on the car by driving over the edge to break the bead, then just use two bars and plenty of lubricant - dishwashing liquid is fine. It takes a while to perfect the technique but it's pretty quick once you have it sussed.

Most of time my local tire place does this for free for me because when im done with the rims i have tubes put in. They have delt with me since before i could drive and my late dad was a repeat customer.

• Like 2

Stormin

I wrap the tyres in newspaper, using masking tape to hold the paper in place as I go along. Finally use masking tape around the rim pushing in between rim and tyre.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
30 minutes ago, Sarthurs01 said:

get a deck of playing cards and slide them around the bead over lapping the cards

I'd love to be able to use the playing card trick but as I said in the first part of the post I can't do that.

These are commercial duty tires and they stick out past the edge of the rim.

20 minutes ago, bottjernat1 said:

I have a tire machine. I don't need to bring them anywhere. The problem is they are fluid-filled....

Because of that we're getting into big dollar signs to be able to break the bead.

• Like 4

WHNJ701

I thought you didn't work for the paint dept.

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, jabelman said:

Oh no no. I most certainly do not. I'm on the materials and supplies research team.

:lol:

• Haha 4

Stormin
4 minutes ago, jabelman said:

He doesn't. But he will be wanting to tell Trina how. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

WHX??

Heard tell guys use peanut butter... no kidding when done just wash it off. Or if yer hungry .... :icecream:

• Haha 5

squonk
35 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Heard tell guys use peanut butter... no kidding when done just wash it off. Or if yer hungry .... :icecream:

Peanut butter on one side and jelly on the other!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

wallfish
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

And rinse with whole milk.

Wipe down with fresh white bread slices, with or without the crust. That's up to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cvans

Paint the tire with brake fluid before painting the rim. Works best if they are laying flat. Don't be frugal with the fluid. The brake fluid is good for rubber and the paint won't stick to it. Done this on both garden and full sized tractor tires. When your done painting wipe the tire off. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ZXT
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

The problem is they are fluid-filled....

Wouldn't it be nice if people would actually read the original post? :P

I picked up a roll of Zip flashing tape off of a job the other day that had been left behind. I just went out and stuck some on an All Terrain T/A that has the rim guard. It stuck well and seems like it would work excellent for what you're wanting to do. It's fairly pricey, but it ought to work. Not sure of any other tape that would stick as well. 

• Like 4

Dirtdog524

I go to lowes and get a roll of roof flashing that is about 5 inches wide. I cut it a little bigger than the wheel and tape it to size. I paint several wheels and never get paint on tires.

• Like 1

oliver2-44
5 hours ago, squonk said:

Vaseline or grease. 

Back in my tractor shop flunky days the old Painter there always used grease on the tires then painted away.  Guess who got to clean the grease off! 

• Haha 2

WHX??
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Just ain't right Mike... you ever meet @pullstart ? You :occasion-clown: gotta be brothers from different mothers... he's a little more hack worthy from an engineering stand point but all bets are off! :ychain: To your credit you might have a slight edge on the doing it right!

Best I can tell you with loaded meats EB is mask off best you can and letter fly. Over spray does clean off rubber with bleach white. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pullstart

EB.  Any chance you have a few empty 5 gallon buckets?  You can un-load the tires into the bucket, then do the card trick...  :orcs-cheers:

Pullstart
30 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Just ain't right Mike... you ever meet @pullstart ? You :occasion-clown: gotta be brothers from different mothers... he's a little more hack worthy from an engineering stand point but all bets are off! :ychain: To your credit you might have a slight edge on the doing it right!

Best I can tell you with loaded meats EB is mask off best you can and letter fly. Over spray does clean off rubber with bleach white. 

he’s way too tall to be from my family Uncle Jim!

• Haha 2

squonk
12 hours ago, ZXT said:

Wouldn't it be nice if people would actually read the original post? :P

I picked up a roll of Zip flashing tape off of a job the other day that had been left behind. I just went out and stuck some on an All Terrain T/A that has the rim guard. It stuck well and seems like it would work excellent for what you're wanting to do. It's fairly pricey, but it ought to work. Not sure of any other tape that would stick as well. 

Eastwood used to sell these wheel maskers. They are adjustable and work pretty good. You still get a little on the tire. Can't find these anywhere anymore.

IMG_2027.JPG.ba6c13bf1f59f1f6a2f64701c4c38450.JPG

• Like 3