bc.gold

6/19/2020 Treasures

bc.gold

These treasures are Pat's finds from yesterday.

The crude copper vessel has some extraordinary seam work where the smith joined the copper ends together. Not sure what the glass jar with the pump was used for but it would look good on the breakfast table filled with maple syrup.

The cat someone drop off at our yard two years ago when she was just a kitten.

d4.jpg

d5.jpg

dump1.jpg

d2.jpg

d3.jpg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Friends of ours, when I was a kid, had a cat like that...name was Marbles.  We were probably about 6 years old and we got into trouble because we were throwing Marbles off the 2nd story porch.  We wanted to see if cats always landed on their feet.  Disclaimer....No animals were hurt in this experiment.  Mrs. Fairchild did not realize that we were actually dropping the cat and thought we were just dropping marbles.  When all of a sudden, the yelling started.  That was 64 years ago, and I still remember like it was yesterday.  :greetings-wavingyellow:

On the other side, there is something about copper ware that just stands out as decorative.  That piece looks like it belongs on that table.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

My mother had a jar with a pump like that , but I can't remember what she used it for.

• Like 1

bc.gold
7 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

My mother had a jar with a pump like that , but I can't remember what she used it for.

Kind of odd how it works, the pump injects air into the jar forcing the liquid out the spout which has no mechanical contact with the pump.

As the jar empties air space increases so you need more strokes on the pump to increase internal pressure

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

That piece looks like it belongs on that table.  

Different table found years ago, I made the drawer to replace the missing one from scraps all the knives are from dump finds.

Square head nail and a wood plug from previous owner.

table1.jpg

table2.jpg

table3.jpg

table4.jpg

Edited by bcgold
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

stevasaurus

I like the desk and the knife collection.  I collect knives my self...you have some nice ones in there.  All from the land fill...wish I could do that again.  We had a small dump in Sullivan, Maine that I used to frequent when I was in the Navy.  It was a great place to see the bears.  :orcs-cheers:

• Thanks 1

bc.gold
16 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

All from the land fill

We live in different times although Ukrainian weddings are still big events with the the various family members bringing a favourite dish to the event.

Large Pyrex casserole dishes and Visionware pots seldom get washed and returned to their owners, someday I'll post pictures of our collection. Washed and sterilized Pat loves her large Pyrex.

I use a number of Visionware pots for my refining hobby.

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Our favourite knife, made  from old fashion carbon steel.

knife.jpg

bc.gold

I brought this old electric range home yesterday to re-purpose the flat top for lab use, dismantling the range discovered the manufacture used ceramic wool insulation.

There's enough cer-wool inside one junk stove to make a at least dozen Horse mufflers. I have other uses in mind for it.

ceramic1.jpg

ceramic2.jpg

• Like 3

bc.gold

The cat is becoming a PITA, last year she climbed a very tall tree our ladder not near long enough to get what appeared to be a helpless cat. Our rural fire dept only responds to real emergence's, so calling them would be a waste of time.

Cat was clinging to the top of the tree for a full day then still there when we retired for the night, figured the cat would eventually fall from the tree from thirst or hunger. Next morning no cat to be seen in the tree, figured a bird of prey may have snatched her.

No such luck, she showed up later that afternoon as if nothing was out of order.

You can set your clock by this cat, 5:00 am she wants to go outside, gone until 9:00am in for a quick snack then out the door again, comes in for a quick snack in the late afternoon then we won't see her again until 11:00 pm at the back door wanting in for the night.

Last night she was not at the door wanting in, cat has learned  new trick and Pat is not pleased. Somehow the cat has figured out how to get onto the roof of the house presenting herself at Pat's window. In order to let the cat in the screen has to be removed.

We're not sure how the cat is getting onto the roof the only thing against the house is an old TV tower and it does not exactly present itself as an easy climb.

d3.jpg

bc.gold

This platter came from the landfill, it's silver plated over copper.

I used one of  the landfill power supply's to strip the silver off of the copper in a simple table salt cell, two teaspoons of salt into 4 litres of water. The plate connected to the positive lead, negative to a strip of stainless steel, power set at 6 volts 5 amps, it took just over an hour to remove the silver.

After letting the particulate settle out the salt water decanted, copper was then removed from the silver, what you see in the third image the pot to the left is the silver.

I'll be making silver oxide for one of my female neighbours who does pottery, she wants to try her hand at something called Lusterware.

The very last image is an example  of how the black silver oxide come out after a reduction firing.

Her copper oxide will be black and nothing like the turquoise oxide that has appeared on the stripped copper platter.

In the video I'm using wheel weight zinc to convert copper salts into elemental copper, the old sawzall blade was much to rusty to work as a cheaper substitute for the zinc. If you look closely you will see that a bit of copper has transformed and attached itself onto the old blade.

The zinc is more reactive and you can see the copper sloughing off.

plate1.jpg

plate2.jpg

plate3.png

Jug.jpg

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Landfill find, old Baldwin organ.

Some palladium but the value is in the orange drop capacitors.

organ1.jpg

organ2.jpg

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

The wire harness uses copper core wire plated over with tin, the small sample when heated formed an oxide along with tin whiskers..

wire.jpg

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

Trip into one of the larger city's, along the way stopped in at one of the landfill sites and found this rusty old Craftsman 10 inch table saw and the treadmill. Both items work.

saw1.jpg

saw2.jpg

bc.gold

From our local site, a large commercial steam cooker that will find some use in the laboratory, old wall lamp missing glass chimney.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold

The Accutemp generates steam to cook food and keep it warm for serving.

Downloaded the parts manual, plenty of interesting goodies, low water level indicator for one, vacuum source for two and three is there's a possibility this steamer can be used to make steam for distilling essential oils.

I can see my Petter PJ2 with the 15 kw Stamford running for hours on free waste restaurant cooking oil.