D_Mac

Gas Tank Cap

D_Mac

Ordered a new cap for my C-161 Automatic and it arrived today PN 106945. Went to screw it on to the tank and it dosnt tighten. Cap pops off before it gets tight. Anyone have trouble getting new caps? Where and what part number should I be looking ? Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

gwest_ca

Part number looks correct.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

JCM

I have seen these somewhere before and the gas cap gasket was extra, part # 106931, does yours have a gasket. Sorry for the stupid question.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Yeah there is a gasket in the cap. I just think they sent me wrong cap. It is now where close to fitting. Says its the right cap but it simply dosnt fit.

20200618_165218.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Sad 2

oldlineman

Bin there and dun that, can anyone spell CHINA!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

kasey54

Wheel horse parts and more sells a fuel cap , here in our vendor section. Its listed in his gaskets and seals listing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Their cap is the exact cap I just ordered. Same brand. Same part number. Why is this so hard? I guess tomorrow I will go over to where my 416-8 is and try it on that tank.

Edited by D_Mac

Daddy Don

I have had the same problem. It would not tighten up on any of my :wh:

• Thanks 1

Reddart

Same here, did not fit. 

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Kelch is the brand I purchased. @Reddart or @Daddy Don Did you find one that did work? I am going to try it on my 416-8 today to eliminate that it isnt the tank on the C-161. They both call for the same part number for cap. I need 2 if anyone knows where I can find a sure fit let me know !! Thanks

Reddart

I got the Kelch. 

haven’t tried to find another yet, I just put on the old cap with the ripped gasket back on. :wacko:

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Here is something strange. I brought the cap over to where my 416-8 is and it fit on that tractor but it dosnt fit on the C-161. They each call for the same part #. I didnt really need the cap for the 416 but I will use it. I need a cap for the C.

Daddy Don

No I have not got another one yet. When you find one let us know. 

• Thanks 1

tom2p
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Here is something strange. I brought the cap over to where my 416-8 is and it fit on that tractor but it dosnt fit on the C-161. They each call for the same part #. I didnt really need the cap for the 416 but I will use it. I need a cap for the C.

issue could be with the fuel tank ?

D_Mac

@tom2p I cant be positive but I believe it to be the original gas tank. I dont see anything that would make me think differently. Plus it seems that I am not the only one with this issue. 

• Like 1

tom2p
8 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

@tom2p I cant be positive but I believe it to be the original gas tank. I dont see anything that would make me think differently. Plus it seems that I am not the only one with this issue. 

Wheel Horse plastic fuel tanks expand and contract ?

doubt it - prob not the issue - but just thought I would throw that out there ... 

btw - you recently acquired two keepers :  C-161 and 416-8 single ... nice ... 

Edited by tom2p

D_Mac

Thanks Tom I like them both, more fond of the C-161. I would like to keep both but I have to find some room. I would like to keep all 4 I have but I am not sure I can. Right now the 416 is at a friends house. Might go over there tomorrow and put it on jack stands and paint the rims. Painted the deck today.

TractorEd

I bought a cap for my c-161 and it doesn’t fit the tank either.  I can’t remember where I bought it but it is probably just some cheapo.

I’m ordering from torodealer.com now.  They don’t sell the gasket anymore so I hope it comes with one (and fits!).

• Like 1

TractorEd

On another note, my 310-8 had the same exact issue with the cap, and that cap has been on it for long time (at least 20 yrs).

If the new one fits I’ll have to order another one!

• Like 1

76c12091520h

Measure the height of the threaded portion of the tank in question and compare it to a known good or NOS tank; have seen underseat tanks with squashed ( compressed ) threads. I sold a brand new gas cap / gauge at the show last summer and the customer brought it back with this concern. The cap I sold him threaded on a new old stock tank perfectly. His spout on his tank was compressed about 1/8".....

• Like 1

76c12091520h

20230101_134551[1].jpg

20220918_135234[1].jpg

TractorEd

I just received 2 different caps.  One I ordered from torodealer (106945) and the other from eBay (New Stens Fuel Cap 125-112 For Toro 106945 -Seller: total-power-parts).  The eBay one states for 7” tank depth.

The one from torodealer measure 7” from the bottom of the outer edge of the cap to the bottom of the stem that goes in the tank.  The eBay one is only 6.5”.

They both fit (height and threads) on my ‘79 C-161 and ‘88 310-8.  And tighten up.

Both tractors had caps that measure 6.5” on them, but I’m not sure they were original.

I bought an el cheapo a year or so ago and while it appears the same/similar,  it does not thread on and tighten up correctly.

Oh, and both tractor tanks measure 8” from bottom of tank to top of filler neck.  And both new caps say Kelch on them.

That’s about all I know.  Stay frosty!

Edited by TractorEd
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

TractorEd

Upon further inspection, the cap(s) don’t screw on squarely.  The cap ends up sitting crooked on the tank.  Now that I have a tractor lift it’s easy for me to look right at it, lol.

Easiest thing I can think to try is heating up the cap threads and screwing it on hot to make the threads conform to the tank.

IMG_4160.jpeg

Edited by TractorEd