Sign in to follow this  
RandyLittrell

Weldpro 155gsv Mig/Stick welder

RandyLittrell

Just bought a new welder for the first time since 1993. I bought a Weldpro 155 gsv and its a mig/stick welder. That also means it will tig with a scratch start tig kit and I already have one on its way. Its dual 120/240 voltage.

I plan on finishing my welding cart with it as well as building a new set of ramps for my car trailer. I had the money to buy a more expensive welder but my son has a Miller multimatiic 215 if I really need something better and I thought it would be cool to test this out with mig and flux for guys that want a welder without spending an arm and a leg.

It was $290 delivered and that seems like a price tag most of us can scrape together. Its also pretty small, so a guy could drag it out in the yard and use flux core for repairs or even off a generator. 

Here is a link to the welder. https://weldpro.com/product/mig155gsv-155-amp-inverter-mig-stick-arc-welder-with-dual-voltage-220v-110v/

Here are some pics as well as my old Chicago Electric 150 from 1993. I ran a lot of wire through that old 150 and it would still make someone a decent welder. Those only had four heat ranges and you just had to mess with your wire speed to make it work. 

20200612_093451.jpg

20200612_093459.jpg

20200612_093507.jpg

20200612_093526_HDR.jpg

20200612_093533.jpg

20200612_093544_HDR.jpg

20200612_094419.jpg

Has a cheap ground clamp so I will put this good one I had instead. 

20200612_111050.jpg

20200612_115346 (1).jpg

20200612_093749.jpg

20200612_093754.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Let us know how it works out... looks like it lays a nice bead!  I never knew before with flux core, to reverse polarity on your leads for best penetration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

Let us know how it works out... looks like it lays a nice bead!  I never knew before with flux core, to reverse polarity on your leads for best penetration.

I have done a bunch of welding but just for myself and never felt I was very good, still don't. But, I have been watching a lot of good videos and I am determined to get better. Those beads were run as mig and I have some flux core coming. I will keep you guys posted on how it works, pretty happy with the initial once over. My son's Miller is much nicer but he has $2300 bucks in it and I will have a lower powered rig that will do most of what it will for less than $400. Using his is what inspired me to get a new welder, the inverter style welders lay down a nice bead! 

Randy

• Thanks 2

Tractorhead

As pullstart allready mentioned while Fluxcore is welded Polarity must be changed.

That is extremly importand to get a stable welding.

The result of fluxcore Welding depending also much on fluxcore quality itself.

because i welded 1/3 of my FEL with Fluxcore, so i can verify if that lasts.

one side was Fluxcore one side was GasWeld

i also welded few massive loaded Parts they be important.

D0BF7944-9237-4F2B-94C8-008ADC09A4BD.jpeg.9bc331cdef4e24a656d377a2859bd5d0.jpeg

This are the Hydraulic mounts for tilt Cylinders. One was welded with Gas the other with Flux Core.

Inforce the weldings by 2 or 3 times doubled seam on both sides.

Ok i still know, this also ain’t be a presentation Weld

until now i do a lot of harder Work with it and no Welding weakpoints at all can be found.

but i use the bit more expensive Fluxcore where a rol cost 35€ - nearly similar to $

There is a cheaper fluxcore also available where a rol cost 18€ - but with that i made bad experiences.

F3816D49-B3E9-4858-9794-11100431C55D.jpeg.29f9bbe01097ff5a9dba2f282f95ca36.jpeg

Here the rearaxle Link can seen ( but just have a pict after cleanup and paint)

after all hard working and Tests i didn‘t find any Weakpoints on Fluxcoreweldings compared to Gas welding.

even on same load.

Here with a testlift  of a 380Kg heavy Agave with about 1,20 diameter.3ED35D5C-4BD4-4357-A85B-9E71A6E4E341.jpeg.f049dbdad51409bbd162dc2f469ec858.jpeg

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Thanks @Tractorhead for the post, I enjoyed following along on your build of your loader! Fluxcore has a certain reputation because of the super cheap welders that are made for it, but it does have every bit as much strength as mig and is used widely in the welding industry. I have already thrown the tiny roll that came with it in the trash and have some quality wire on order. Not sure how much I will use the fluxcore, but this machine as half the size and weight of my sons millermatic and he wants to do some repair jobs on 120 volts with it. Its only 15" long and weighs about 20 lbs. 

Randy

Tractorhead

Hi Randy,

Fluxcore had a bad reputation on some homeworker that keeps like dogpoo on a shoe,

because the most forget to change polarity or work with cheap Material.

I purchased my Welder last year, it was a Unknown Brand to me,

but i be still surprised and use it more than i can imagine before.

Try it also with CO2 as welding Gas.

Not the best choice i know, but i use Sodastream capsules for easy Movement.

So far i‘m succeded with the Results.

I got my final evidence, when i bow my Doublesided Plow Bar instead of rip any Welding.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

@Tractorhead I have 2 soda stream bottles and now you have the gears whirling in my head!! 

• Haha 1

Tractorhead

Hi Randy, 

found the Pict, where you can see that Rig in Action.

Yap, it‘s that simple, there is an adaptor available at fleebay for about something like 6-10$ with an breather hole in it to refill the Soda Stream Cylindres. The other Side was a Standart Adaptor Thread for pressure regulators.

This Adapter i have is chromed brass and must be usable for bidirectional use..( fix pin internal without valve)

The Thread is W21,8 out i used, i simply screwed a Regularor on it and give it a Try.

It can also be disconnected, to save the Gas for a later use.

The regulator must be mounted ahead onto Bottle Valve regulator tightly.

To Mount the Bottle only screw it gently clockwise onto a pressurepoint you can easily feel,

than a quick turn ( about 90 degrees) and the bottle is connected without wasting much Gas.

To Dismount, quick turn counterclockwise at about 90 degrees, a bit Gas blow out to release the connection,

than screw it finally until released.

Take care to use your Welding Gloves, because the bottle easily reach an icy Surface while welding.

I suggest give the bottle about 20 min to warm a bit up before dismount.

One bottle wit a setup of 11l/min is enough for 2,5m Welding Seam.

So for short Weldings a perfect solution and easy to carry.

346FA7BC-EBC7-4899-8046-5FE5AE364D75.jpeg.ec498c22c0d6aa2572bcb1b73c1649b6.jpeg

Somebody tolds me the Sodastream have a more moistured Gas inside, but i learned it‘s depending where you buy or refill,

i get my Bottles directly from a local Filler company, they also filling Welding Gas Cylindres and they told me that.

I also ordered a 2 Kilo Bottle, but this is actually unused, because the Sodastreams have the charme of quick changing.

it‘s more handy.

edit:

ah, don‘t forget to change the polarity back if Welding with Gas.

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 1

RandyLittrell

Found my first issue with the welder. The welding wire roll spring tension is non adjustable and the included roll is quite a bit narrower than a roll from hobart or lincoln. One of them was a full 3/16" thicker and therefore spring tension was tight to allow the wire to feed through the rollers. Had to cut a coil.off the spring tensioner to make it work.I have informed the company to help them out. Stock roll on the left, then lincoln and hobart.

20200615_200223.jpg