Achto

Any experience with Loncin engines?

Achto

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Loncin engines. Thinking of purchasing one as a replacement engine for a Toro that needs an engine replacement. Looking for comments, good or bad. Thanks :)

https://www.ecrater.com/p/36155461/loncin-ohv-608-cc-187-hp-riding?gps=1&id=81021731659&gclid=Cj0KCQjwlN32BRCCARIsADZ-J4sIxdtPlIvCZ5qTto9KRTfxXG8nii2TvlyB1K9J2DnsnasncYNzRBoaAgKnEALw_wcB

WHNJ701

never heard of them, I just got a crate briggs engine 17hp $460 with free shipping for a john deere rider, 

• Thanks 1

Tractorhead

My Horse after Onan Cylinder rip get an Loncin Swap.

B9979E1B-E567-47D9-BAEC-FE54E7B7CBA2.jpeg.8e214cad54747f145594156515da9759.jpeg

before a 12 HP Onan was in

AE11BE34-9565-437A-94E1-C7960612FB77.jpeg.aeb5a6a386f62c16be08f82c795458d0.jpeg

after the damage i Swaped to Loncin 16HP 

and it was a good idea.

i bought that Engine as a 12 HP, but on Engine plate it was a 16HP.

what exactly fit‘s i‘d know, but i‘m on the 16 HP Side.

It has brutforce torque output even on Hydraulics..

the Hydropump is in gearratio 1:1,73 on the Engine

and even on full load on the HydroPump, just a little drop is feeled at pumppressure on 175Bar under fully Load.

67ED605C-7384-4BD3-8161-8B30B8087C68.jpeg.0f63065bd86ce166ef9da7297db29d13.jpeg

runs now since a year without any trouble reliable and smoothly.

Each start it fires right up. just pull the choke and - here we go.

btw, also the Engine on my Tiller the 6,5 HP Pullstart is a Loncin.

They here available for dump prices,

but their quality seems massive improved since the last 10 years.

needs on each start the choke but fires immediately up.

No bad decision at all.

At last Oilservice the oil looks like honey colored, no visible metalparts in.

I would buy again after my review on mine both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Yeah I know of them. Have had a few in my shop here, and a good deal of puller people over here use them too. No problem at all so far. I can't be sure, but the predator/harbour freight engines look a whole lot like Loncin engines too. Loncin is considered among the very best of the chinese small engine manufacturers, and you can find their engines in many motor bikes, ATV's etc. too. I wouldent be the least bit ofraid of it.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Achto

Thanks for the comments. I picked this Toro lawn tractor up along side the road "FREE BEE":D. It's in really nice shape, but when I got it home I noticed that the Kohler SV600 engine had an extra ventilation hole in the side of the block.:( A new Kohler short block would put me almost upside down on the value of the tractor so I've been looking at alternatives. My plan is to repair & sell the tractor but I don't want to stick the next owner with some POS engine that will give them trouble. So far the Loncin sounds like a good alternative.

A pic of my Free Bee.

IMG_20200528_173747257_HDR.jpg.912e7bc2c508597ba50a85cb1b5d6365.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Yap, it‘s definitely a alterative.

The Engine you can purchase now are not to compare with them, built 10 years ago.

They improves massive their Quality especially if it‘s under their own Loncin Label.

Loncin is one of the biggest engine partner for a lot of manufacturer of selfpropellered Things.

They also built for a lot of other Company‘s the Engines with their own Brand Label.

Loncin - 1-st. Quality Level, independently if internal ( CN) or exported.

Some other Brand manufacturing - depends on Brand but mostly also 1-st. Or 2.nd level quality. Good enough for longterm use.

my varan engine on tiller is an example for 2-nd level Engine, with now about 60h on it.

Cheap nobody heared Brands, mostly2-nd or also 3.rd level quality.

all qualitylevels differs only on their optical finish and on crankshaft bearings.

Except 3-rd level where the tolerance quality differs more from other both levels.

With regular Service, they look reliable and useful without troubles.

While i used my Horse last Winter excessive, i was surprised about the quick Startup even below -12deg C.

Until now no troubles at all and a well smooth running Engine.

• Thanks 1

WHNJ701

are they briggs clone?

WHX??

It's a shame somebody trashed a nice mower like that just by not checking the oil. I would think you could get 700 for it with a good motor.            

Did you nix the idea of JB  welding the extra hole up?? :D

• Like 2

Achto
16 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Did you nix the idea of JB  welding the extra hole up?? :D

I was thinking of making a plate to bolt over the hole in the block and then replacing the damaged pieces in side the engine. If I was keeping it, I might have still done that just for an experiment.

I can see through the hole in the block that the crank looks to be scored. A quick peak through the same hole with a bore scope shows a few other thing banged up in side the block as well. Short block or whole engine replacement are the best options here in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Achto
1 hour ago, jabelman said:

are they briggs clone?

Briggs, Kohler, Honda, etc, remove the name tag & all the new single cylinder over head valve engines look the same to me.:twocents-mytwocents: It does have a 4 bolt on a 10" circle mounting pattern just like most engines of this size. 

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Should be plug & play then?  Need to pull the old motor and see if you can find a cut sheet on this replacement see how things line up. 400 is pretty cheap for a bigger motor like this. Might be a fun quick project & hopefully make some $$ to put in a :wh:! Check the deck over make sure it needs no work. Hopefully hydro good. Is there an hr meter on it? 

Achto
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Check the deck over make sure it needs no work. Hopefully hydro good. Is there an hr meter on it? 

Gonna do some tear down tomorrow & see what shakes out. There is an hour meter on it but I'll have to hook up a battery to see what it says. I'll let ya know.

WHNJ701

it is something how cheap these engines are anymore, for that john deere I got its not worth the time to rip into the engine, when you can buy a new replacement and be up and running in 20 minutes, gotta love the cheap throw away world

• Like 3

Tractorhead

On my Onan swap it was just Plug and Play.

the 4 mounting bolts are predrilled but no threads inside.

They do selfthreading while first mount.

99A62F5B-7D31-4DB8-B553-E2CB10423EF8.jpeg.5bc90e32bf24b4c0beec61b3a4605fd9.jpeg

the PTO Screw was 7/16“ 20 NPT (fine threaded) in 6“ length if i remember right, so that thread also compares to my old Onan.

On my Swap needs just a bit longer Screw because i changed also the PTO Electric Cutch to a other one,

while i damaged mine by try to pull of the Shaft from the heavily rusted Onan Shaft and did an oops at this.

The most rust on the Onan shaft and some where else was from firedistinguisher and the sat outside after for nearly a Year

without cover.

But at all it was just Plug and Play nearly.

The Throttle was used with the old Linkage and bowden and i added a Choke separately with a sepatate Bowden.

It is just needed to pull shortly on start procedure and can be quick released after the Engine Fired up.

edit

@jabelman i payed for mine 236$ Brandnew with 2 Years Warranty.

I agree to you about the throw away was normally not my World, 

but a Kohler, Onan or even Briggs here cost more as the double for a replacement.

Even just the parts for fixing the Onan here at my Location blasts my Budget for that Tractor,

also more than this whole Engine, so my decision was that Way.

edit end

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Like 2

Tractorhead

@Achto

ah, i forgot to tell it have a pressure lube system,

that allows More sideslope while drive without engine damage.

you can see the Filter in the last pict on the right side.

• Like 1

WildmanC120

I think the crank is facing the wrong way??? 🤣

• Haha 1

Tractorhead
1 hour ago, WildmanC120 said:

I think the crank is facing the wrong way??? 🤣

Ok, think i must explain something....

i‘m from South Bavaria, so our base Measurement‘s is - right - Beer. 😎

we don‘t measure in cm or even inches, we measure all simply in Beer.

a Bottle height, a bottle diameter, a bottle cap diameter, a bottle cap in height, gap between two bottles, how wide you can spit after too much beer, So extreme simply equations can be done so and everybody understands.... 😂😂😂

So simply another evidence how easy bavarian calculation can be - ok,

After several beers, you hit the ground, if you then look at the right,

it seems right what you see then, so it‘s in the eye of beholder or

just a question how much beer is there.. 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1