RedPrideNation

K341 Issues

RedPrideNation

First off thanks for any advice as I am losing patience with this contrary thing. Long story short it’s on a 1974 C160 that I have had about two weeks and I can’t get this thing to control speed worth a darn. New carb set to the recommended needle valve settings, valves gaped to .010 and .018, governor adjusted  and points triple checked. With the new carb it will finally idle on the low end without popping and carrying on like it was when I purchased but once you move the throttle 1/4 of the way it races like it’s running away. I have adjusted the position of the governor spring in an attempt to make it less sensitive and throttle cable as well. So far it wins and this is a first as I am out of ideas. What am I overlooking? 

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

What is the "new carb"?

Did you set the governor?

• Like 1

Achto
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you set the governor?

:text-yeahthat:  Sounds like the governor arm is out of adjustment.

Loosen the pinch bolt on the governor arm. Take a small Vise Grip and lightly clamp it on the governor shaft so that the weight of the Vise Grip will hold the shaft full counter clockwise. Move the governor arm full counter clockwise so that so throttle is wide open. Tighten the pinch bolt back up with everything held in this position.

Don't let frustration get the best of you, you'll get it figured out.:)

• Like 1

LandoCommando214

I'd agree with the governor items listed above, but I'd also check every spring/linkage from the governor arm, right back to the throttle cable lever.  Here's a link to the K341 service manual, where they walk you through setting all of these adjustments. Give it a read if you have time, maybe something will jump out at you. 

https://isavetractors.com/content/Kohler K Engine Service Manual.pdf

RedPrideNation

Thanks for the replies fellas. 

@Achto, I will go back over the governor again but I am pretty sure I adjusted it just as you described. 

@ebinmaine, honestly it was a amazon whatever so I could get it here quickly, I know some are questionable. Thing is my FIL just used the same type on a C141 and had very little trouble getting it to settle down with only minor adjustments from the recommended settings. 

@LandoCommando214, I will go through it and see if I am overlooking something. The plate the throttle linkage goes to was extremely loose to start with so I had to work on that and the spring plate as well. Thanks for the link.

Could something internally with the governor counterweight cause this? Motor definitely has settled down at low idle so overall it seems like a solid unit just the running away deal. On a separate note, the K301 I put on the first C160 I bought is performing like a champ. Really smooth and extremely strong for a 12HP. Currently fighting this motor issue in the OP while prepping the site for the carport (stable) for the herd.

LandoCommando214

I'm not sure if the counterweight could cause this or not, i'm pretty unfamiliar with issues stemming from the counterweight. Here's something quick you could try; I found this in the fuel system troubleshooting section of that manual. Maybe you're running lean if you have excessive throttle opening? Again, maybe just something easy to try and rule out before you dive into all the linkages, shafts, levers and springs. Play with the fuel mixture to see if it goes away. 

image.png.caa3f9e2168821a01ff62e48dd7700e6.png

Edited by LandoCommando214
I misread the troubleshooting table...I'm not exactly sure if your problem corresponds with "excessive throttle opening". Do they mean excessive motion of the lever to get the engine up to speed, or do they mean a little throttle goes a long way??

pacer

Unfortunately there are a couple things that come to mind about internal problems. Been a few yrs, but I've had 2 instances where internals failed and I"m a bit hazy on naming the parts .... there is a ..... flat piece of metal? that is tacked to the shaft that came loose, and the plastic gear stripped. The plastic gear .. I think was because of being badly worn by the "grenade gears" being so sloppy. Not to sure the gear would cause over speed but IIRC the little piece of metal did.

Do go thru all the steps mentioned on the adjustments, but you just may have to go internal for an inspection. And, geesh, that is a COMPLETE tear down to get the governor out, I tack welded the little piece of metal back on in the shop and turned out OK.

RedPrideNation

@LandoCommando214, the segment you screen captured caught my eye as well so I may just be extremely lean. 

@pacer, your previous dealings are what I am fearing to be honest. 

I will update after I go back through it again and verify a few of these items. Thanks again for the suggestions.

• Like 1