Mickwhitt

I got a free mower

ebinmaine

Nicely done sir.

Looks similar to one I had here awhile ago.

There will likely be a gasket between the carb and tank that goes bad. The tank is actually the lower part of the carb.

Good cleaning and a few bucks in parts and you'll be good.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

My favorite 4 letter word - FREE.

:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Dan.gerous

When we lived in Sydney they used to have a massive garbage pickup about 4 times a year. Everybody put anything out on the front lawn and in theory the council came along and cleaned it up. In reality we just drove around "shopping" through all the free stuff.

Even at other times of the year if you didnt want something you just left it on the front lawn and before long somebody would take it. I got our lawn mower that way, needed one, drove about for a bit until I found one on the front lawn and took it home. Was an old two stroke that just needed a little TLC and the blades sharpening. When we left the country I put it on the front lawn and somebody else took it away - the circle of life!

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Mickwhitt

Changed the oil, plug and just sprayed the carb.

It starts and runs but its lumpy and not revving properly.

I will find the manual on line and swat up on settings and trouble shooting.

Maybe strip off the carb and tank complete for a deep clean.

Mick  

• Like 5

Mickwhitt

20200531_172144.jpg.8c8e50cfdf60778aa11ab65d1a36726a.jpgI suspect this is part of the problem.

Ernie you were spot on!

The gasket looks to form a diaphragm but the wrinkle in it is allowing air in so it cant function. Hence the lumpy running and hunting.

I will get hold of a gasket in the week and see what difference it makes.

It's a neat machine, deck is solid, just needs painting. Bit of carbon buildup but I will put some Redex in the fuel and that will be fine.

Mick

ebinmaine

You see how there are two rubber flappers built into that gasket? That's part of the regulating system on those.

Clean that sucker out and throw some new gaskets at it and she'll be super happy.

D_Mac

its kinda like a chainsaw or string trimmer carb.

cafoose

I got a free mower myself :happy-bouncyshadowgreen: The next door neighbor bought a new one because it didn't run right. He asked if I wanted it for free:music-rockout: all I did was remove the carburetor, disassemble it, and spray it down with carburetor cleaner. It runs great! :banana-jumprope:

Gary's_mower.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Razorback

Free is good....

• Thanks 1

Mickwhitt

Well I fitted a new gasket kit. Success, it runs fine, butvthere is still an issue or two. 

Firstly I lost the piano wire governor link. I know I should have took it out but I didnt and its now on the shop floor somewhere amongst the spiders and swarf.

I made a new one but obviously it's not an exact copy so might be the problem.

It ran for about five mins,  then slowed very slightly before cutting out. Would not then start again. 

Let it go cold and it ran again.

It was a bit smoky so could it be the governor was letting it run too slow?

I will make another link wire and try that.

Mick  

Mickwhitt

If at first you dont succeed, have another look where you stripped the gas tank off the machine and you will find the original link wire.

The lighter coloured one is the original. I made the new one by scaling from a photo I took before stripping the carb. Its a tad wrong. But I found the main problem was not enough tension on the main governor spring. I bent the metal governor bracket a little to give that extra pull and it runs like a dream, no smoke, no hunting.

Many thanks guys, I can confidently refurbish it over winter now to get a cracking little mower for nothing.

Mick 

20200602_160924.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Geez Mick. You didn't do too bad for not having one....

Nice job on that link..

• Like 1