Vurge

Is this a 606?

Tractorhead

Pretty nice looking, cool custom Work !

I would suggest to paint the S/G spanner bolts in black to complete this great Design,

that will perfectly fit to the Beltcover.

i like it !

ebinmaine

Looks good so far and I'm super glad to hear you've got it up and running. 

What is it that you need for a choke cable?

Length? Knob size and shape? Mounting hole diameter?

I've got some extras at the house and I'd be glad to look and see if I could help you out. 

ebinmaine

I don't remember if you've mentioned it in the back pages of this thread.  Does that S/G have a given operating RPM range?

May want to put it at the upper end of that based on engine speed....?

Vurge

@pullstart -  I decided to use expanded wire because it was a little annoying to have to take the cover off the C-121 to see what causing that clutch to not release.   Turns out it was probably the cover itself since it hasn't happened since I took it off. 🙄

@ebinmaine - From what I was able to find out, the S/G is for a golf cart should start charging at about 3000 rpm.  I have a 2.5" pulley on the S/G and a 3.5" on the engine.  I know the standard S/G setup in a tractor uses a much larger engine pulley, but I was expecting getting at least a few amps!  

So today I took it for a 5-10 minute spin to check out the top speed (9mph) and see if I could break in the belt.  It's definitely getting better. I can launch in 3rd gear without stalling and/or doing a wheelie now.  😂  I also measured the voltage at full throttle and was happy to see 14.39V.   Yesterday I was measuring 12.88V.  Perhaps the S/G brushes had to break in since it's brand new?  Is that even a thing? All I know about this stuff is what I've been reading on the internet.  I've litterally spent more time researching this 606 project than I have working on it. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Vurge said:

brushes had to break in since it's brand new?  Is that even a thing?

Not the norm but I could see it happening if you wire the sharp edges off the brushes from production. 

Research is absolutely a favorite part of my projects. 

How bout that choke cable?

Vurge
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Not the norm but I could see it happening if you wire the sharp edges off the brushes from production. 

Research is absolutely a favorite part of my projects. 

How bout that choke cable?

Thanks @ebinmaine here's a shot of the dash with both knobs.  I think the throttle is correct design.  As for the choke, I am thinking of cutting down the cable to reduce friction and then make it spring loaded.  That way it'll automatically flip to "run" when you let go.  What do you think? 

16045886391162.png

ebinmaine

I'm fairly sure I don't have any of those black plastic head cables with the large C on them but I'd be happy to take a look.

Get me a length when you can please.

I've heard of others using a spring-loaded choke and from what I understand it works just fine. I've never tried it or run a machine that has it so I can't really comment one way or the other. 

If I don't have one of those cables and you do want to get a hold of one, pzep.biz has them for something in the $12 to $14 range shipped to your door. 

Vurge

Thanks for the tip.  I'm fairly confident I can get it to work with a spring by cutting off most of the cable housing. If it doesn't work, I'll look to get a new cable that matches the throttle. Win win? 🤣 

Edit:  Doh!  I measured the S/G output directly and its putting out 0.7V at full throttle.  

Edited by Vurge
  • Thanks 1