Sign in to follow this  
hodge

atv question

hodge

I have my gifts, just like every single person does. And, I am not gifted at everything, like everybody else. Electrical stuff is where I fall short. So, I appeal to the experience and wisdom of those here who know more about electrical things.

I have a 99 Honda TRX 300 4x4 atv, and I have had a winch on it for about 3 years. The winch that I had was a 2300 lb superwinch. It broke (pulling out my stuck 312-8, no less), so I replaced it. I bought a 3000 lb Champion winch from Tractor Supply. I removed the positive and negative wires from the old winch, and installed the new winch. I changed nothing. I literally took the positive and negative off the old winch, and attached them to the new winch.

Now, if I don't run the atv every couple of days, the battery is draining down. It is a new battery, and this started after replacing the winch. I have to assume that something is different with this winch. It did not come with a contactor, and I didn't figure that I needed to change it. Any ideas? Because it did not come with a contactor, I assume that it is built different than the previous winch. At this point, if I don't come up with a solution, I think I will wire a switch into the positive wire, so that when not in use, I can cut the power to the contactor. It is wierd, because the winch works well, and is strong. The battery will be weak/almost dead, and after running the 4 wheeler for a little bit, it will charge right back up. If I wasn't having this drain problem, I would say the winch works exactly like the previous one. Any ideas or similiar experience?

Blessings to all of you!

oldandred

I have no idea but if you take the new winch lose from the connections and see if the battery runs down in the same amount of time